Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 16

Author Topic: Zombie Survival (and QWOP!)  (Read 25791 times)

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
Re: Zombie Survival
« Reply #45 on: November 02, 2011, 06:43:08 pm »

Me and my friends already have basic plans set down for zombie apocalypse. My cousin and his friends have plans to try and cause a zombie apocalypse so they can have fun kicking zombie ass. I'm not worried much about being unprepared for a zombie apocalypse.
Nothing important here, move along.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 02, 2011, 06:44:05 pm »

Firing a gun isn't as hard as games with skills make it out to be. Seriously, point and click interface, pretty simple.

Maintaining and reloading is probably a challenge for those of us who have never touched a gun though.  Knowing me I'd probably have the safety on without realizing.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 02, 2011, 06:48:15 pm »

I don't think I could handle the recoil of most big guns, so i'd just run around with a .22 just to be safe. Its not like im going to be shooting at long ranges anyways.

Also, thank god I live in a place that has really cold winters. Zombies will slow down considerably.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

Andrew425

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 02, 2011, 06:50:07 pm »

.308 with twelve hundred rounds.

I'm set. All I need to do is board up the windows and doors, fill the bathtubs and sinks with water, bring in some firewood and nothing can get me.
May the mass times acceleration be with you

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 02, 2011, 06:51:01 pm »

.308 with twelve hundred rounds.

I'm set. All I need to do is board up the windows and doors, fill the bathtubs and sinks with water, bring in some firewood and nothing can get me.
Except a large group of zombies :P
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Welcome to Reality.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 02, 2011, 06:51:31 pm »

I don't think I could handle the recoil of most big guns, so i'd just run around with a .22 just to be safe. Its not like im going to be shooting at long ranges anyways.

Actually, .22LR rounds can go up to a mile and a half. They're not going to have much power at that distance, but they can still be a threat, and could probably take out a zombie with a generous dose of luck.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #51 on: November 02, 2011, 06:52:08 pm »

And food/water bladibalablblbalaaaaaa

Also, how comes' no one has mentioned crossbow? Quiet, and after some skill, very deadly, and you could even make your own bolts [again, with skill]

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 02, 2011, 06:55:18 pm »

Stand behind steel fence (Not a flimsy chain link, PROPER FENCE GRRRRR), get something sharp, stab zombies all day long.

Walking Dead? :)   A prison would be a pretty great place if you really need to find semi-permanent shelter.

But in a Romero-style scenario, I would prefer to stay out in the open.  I would escape and avoid congested urban environments as quickly as possible.  I'd spend my days in large, open spaces like empty parking lots or grassy fields with lots of visibility just singling out zombies for extermination.  I would favor melee weapons with long reach, that would allow me to dispatch zombies silently, at a safe distance, and limited only by my own endurance.  So long as I stay mobile, there should be no reason to get overwhelmed by a horde.  When I need to rest, I'd find small, sturdy buildings with two portals for entrance/exit.  Before settling in, I would always arrange for some type of diversion that I can use to clear one exit and get back out in the open again.  I imagine I could keep this up long enough to at least clear out a locality.

I would also head north and try to avoid warm weather, but also freezing temperatures (don't want to force myself into a shelter where I get trapped).

But this completely ignores the two biggest problems.  First, my #1 priority would be to raid a pharmacy for insulin, which could go wrong in all sorts of ways.  Everybody is going to be raiding stores for supplies, and it will be a highly crowded, hostile, and competitive environment.  Second, I think the biggest problem in a real walking dead situation, realistically, would be a massive explosion of carrion population and disease, coupled with a breakdown of the societal infrastructure designed to deal with such things.

Edit:  Oh and of course, I'd have my motorcycle gear, which makes me pretty much immune to human tooth/claw from head to toe.  It's also not terrible heavy, being mostly just really thick, tough fabric meant to resist abrasion with some padding around joints.  The only really cumbersome part to wear for long periods of time would be the helmet.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2011, 06:58:49 pm by SalmonGod »
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 02, 2011, 06:56:38 pm »

Actually, .22LR rounds can go up to a mile and a half. They're not going to have much power at that distance, but they can still be a threat, and could probably take out a zombie with a generous dose of luck.
Thank god im one lucky bastard then. The good thing about .22LR is that the ammo is supposedly easy to find, so I doubt i'll run out of ammo easily.

Also, my melee weapon of choice will be the crowbar. Not because its useful, but because I want to be Gordon Freeman. I'd also personally avoid any stores for the first week or so, and get stuff from nearby houses. The stores will be filled with looters, and I don't plan on getting shot/having to shoot an actual person within the first week.
Welcome to Reality.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #54 on: November 02, 2011, 06:57:17 pm »

Most diseases that infect humans will infect animals.

Good luck in the country side with whatever swarms of zombie animals you'll be having fun with.

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 02, 2011, 06:58:55 pm »

Most diseases that infect humans will infect animals.

Good luck in the country side with whatever swarms of zombie animals you'll be having fun with.
Well, the zombie virus we're all assuming will happen is one that won't effect animals (The Max Brooks version.).
Welcome to Reality.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 02, 2011, 07:02:26 pm »

Actually, the disease could only affect a few species at a time anyway, so unless the zombification affected a handful of common and dangerous species, animals would be easily dealt with.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 02, 2011, 07:05:59 pm »

I think zombies follow the inverse ninja law. A singular zombie is met with little suspicion, and it can surprise and turn a great number of people and compromise safe positions. A horde of zombies is easily noticed and prepared for.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #58 on: November 02, 2011, 07:07:50 pm »

I would be much more worried about a extremely potent pathogen that just kill everyone, I mean, what are you going to do?

Kill everyone infected? That's out of the question.

Run away to the country side? Viable, before the road blocks and quarantine's are set up. What if you're already infected? What if someone close to you is infected?

BAAAAAHHH!!!!!

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 02, 2011, 07:09:03 pm »

But we're not talking about terrorist-pox, are we? We're talking about zombies.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 16