Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 16

Author Topic: Zombie Survival (and QWOP!)  (Read 25664 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Zombie Survival
« Reply #90 on: November 02, 2011, 09:40:15 pm »

On that note: I doubt the effectiveness of nuclear weapons against zombies. Almost everyone who died in the bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki died from burns, debris, and radiation poisoning. Zombies are unaffected by burns that aren't total conflagration, and would be immune to radiation. Debris might do a good deal of harm to them, but short of being totally buried or completely ripped apart it would have limited effect on them.

By contrast, destruction of crucial infrastructure that will be needed after the zombie war and irradiation of whatever survives the blast are a high cost for killing a relatively small number of the zombies, as well as some of the precious few survivors that may be in the area.

TL;DR: Nuclear Club uses Total Launch on Zombie Hordes! It's not very effective...
« Last Edit: November 02, 2011, 09:44:15 pm by MetalSlimeHunt »
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 02, 2011, 09:41:29 pm »

Also, irradiated zombies are no fun.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: November 02, 2011, 09:48:18 pm »

On that note: I doubt the effectiveness of nuclear weapons against zombies. Almost everyone who died in the bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki died from burns, debris, and radiation poisoning. Zombies are unaffected by burns that aren't total conflagration, and would be immune to radiation. Debris might do a good deal of harm to them, but short of being totally buried or completely ripped apart it would have limited effect on them.

By contrast, the destruction of crucial infrastructure that will be needed after the zombie war and irradiation of whatever survives the blast are a high cost for killing a relatively small number of the zombies, as well as some of the precious few survivors that may be in the area.

TL;DR: Nuclear Club uses Total Launch on Zombie Hordes! It's not very effective...
Ah, but the mass murder of survivors leaves nothing for the zombies to infect!

Gentledwarves, we have discovered another source of Fun.

Montague

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: November 02, 2011, 10:14:11 pm »

It seems to me like a tank or bulldozer could just drive in circles downtown and eventually kill every zombie in a given city. The noise would draw them all out and the zombies would have a hard time stopping such a machine from squishing them.

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: November 02, 2011, 10:15:41 pm »

It seems to me like a tank or bulldozer could just drive in circles downtown and eventually kill every zombie in a given city. The noise would draw them all out and the zombies would have a hard time stopping such a machine from squishing them.
Unless you ran out of gas or got swarmed by a horde of zombies, effectively making you have to slowly go over crowds of zombies.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

Montague

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 02, 2011, 10:25:35 pm »

Unless you ran out of gas or got swarmed by a horde of zombies, effectively making you have to slowly go over crowds of zombies.

I suppose once the zombie hoards were thinned out a bit you could drive off to get more gas. Zombies would get squished faster then new zombies could shamble in to replace them, so it'd be less efficient to just drive around until you ran out of fuel. Although its not perfect, eventually, I think attrition would favor the survivors driving heavy vehicles around in circles downtown.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 02, 2011, 10:29:11 pm »

I suppose once the zombie hoards were thinned out a bit you could drive off to get more gas. Zombies would get squished faster then new zombies could shamble in to replace them, so it'd be less efficient to just drive around until you ran out of fuel. Although its not perfect, eventually, I think attrition would favor the survivors driving heavy vehicles around in circles downtown.

Try driving a bus/truck/bulldozer through a tightly packed crowd of people. You don't get very far. And in any decent sized town, you're talking about tens of thousands of zombies at the least, all being drawn to you, rather than tens of people desperately running away. While you're in a slow-moving vehicle with either an open cab or a large profile with lots of windows. Eventually the corpses alone would keep you from moving, then you get swarmed and die.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: November 02, 2011, 10:32:47 pm »

First things first, the heck happened to the nice Zombie Preparedness thread with +50 pages?

Second thing, I'll answer this seriously. Seeing as how the military isn't as incompetent as movies and books always make them out to be, I simply need to WALK about one mile to MCAS Miramar and sit tight with the nice Marine folks, getting a flight out on the many air vehicles if things go to junk. Actually, I might not even need to move, considering that the whole city basically houses several branches of the military.

And to give into Human Nature, I'd rather save myself rather than go all gung ho and be a hero. Leave the killing to the guys that are meant to do it.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: November 03, 2011, 01:19:53 am »

Q: Can zombies swim, or otherwise transverse large bodies of water?
Well they don't need air, so eventually they'll wash up somewhere.

Well, if they're dead, fish will have a big feast and pick their bones clean. They'd sink like stones, and it's hard enough for people to move around underwater, slows wouldn't be very mobile at all. Just hope zombification doesn't spread to the fishes.

If they'ee alive, it would depend on how much intelligence they retain. Swimming doesn't come naturally, so "primitives" would have trouble staying above water no matter how fast they can flail around. And once they've gone underwater and start drowning, they're not much of a threat. Zombies keeping (even just some of) their reasoning and knowledge, though? Water is no trouble.

Fucking love that QWOP has become a verb.

...What does it mean?

Zombies are unaffected by burns that aren't total conflagration

Not really, depending on whether a good brain-boiling would be able to kill them or not.

Ugh.. I did mean to add my own meager strategies here, but writing on a phone is too much work. Have to do it later.
Love, scriver~

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: November 03, 2011, 05:39:03 am »

Uh... Why would a zombie sink like a stone? The human body without air in the lungs very nearly floats as it is.

And if you have not tried QWOP, you are missing out. Google it.

xordae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: November 03, 2011, 06:51:05 am »

Head off to a tropical island to enjoy your last years before the zombies inevitably get there too. Bring as many good steel tools as you can carry, bring plenty of Marijuana seeds and bring women.

No, seriously, the zombies will win. No matter how elaborate your plan is. They don't feel pain, they don't sleep, they never slow down and they're homing in on you.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: November 03, 2011, 06:58:44 am »

Uh... Why would a zombie sink like a stone? The human body without air in the lungs very nearly floats as it is.

It was just an exaggeration.
Love, scriver~

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: November 03, 2011, 07:00:56 am »

And if you have not tried QWOP, you are missing out. Google it.

Oh my god... why did I not know about this?!

Barbarossa:  How do you do this running shit without launching yourself backwards into a concussion?
« Last Edit: November 03, 2011, 07:21:01 am by SalmonGod »
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: November 03, 2011, 12:28:57 pm »

So I finally remember I was going to search for this when on a computer.

...I gave up at 1,1m.
Love, scriver~

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: November 03, 2011, 01:18:50 pm »

Easiest way to make progress is get on your knees and sort of scoot along, but it gets the hypothetical guy some pretty bad hypothetical scrapes.

Also, next version of QWOP needs to involve hurdles. Also also, there's a reason babies have such trouble walking.

Germane to the topic, basically, if a zombie is coordinated enough to actually walk and not walk around like the QWOP guy, water may not be enough.

If the zombies sink, then they can just walk around on the bottom.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 16