Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 16

Author Topic: Zombie Survival (and QWOP!)  (Read 25679 times)

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
Re: Zombie Survival
« Reply #30 on: November 02, 2011, 06:06:54 pm »

Zombies are terrible climbers.
Bold assertions. I assume were basing this off the low metabolism, slow moving zombies then? Because the fast ones can climb like a boss!

Problem is that the slow moving ones can go longer without food, so you could be stuck on that roof for a long, long time. Hope you bought food for a while.

If they were L4D style zombies I'd be toast in about 30 seconds.  I don't have a plan for those kinds of zombies.  :)

I don't necessarily have to kill 100% of the slow zombies, I think this would get rid of a good chunk of them.   I figure I'd need food/water for about two weeks up there. 
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 02, 2011, 06:13:48 pm »

Fast zombies are likely to deteriorate rapidly as their muscle mass is damaged and not replaced. Give them a few days or a nice long run and they'll probably be moving a bit less quickly.

Though one could say a lot about the problems with trying to keep a car full of gas in a zombie apocalypse, the US actually has a shitload of stored gas all over the place. It would be fairly easy to use a hand pump to fill up a car from a gas station's giant underground tanks so long as you can keep any zombies held off long enough, and a vehicle would cut through a horde of normal zombies pretty easily, especially if you could mount it with some military hardware like an M2.
Nothing important here, move along.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 02, 2011, 06:17:32 pm »

Fast zombies might not be able to climb. It all depends on how much dexterity the zombie maintains, not their speed. A fast one could very well trip over its own hands trying to get up a ladder and fall onto it's fellow zombies, knocking them all over like bowling pins.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 02, 2011, 06:18:38 pm »

Friend of mine had a pretty genius idea for dealing with fast zombies.  Assuming the zombies will just run towards anything that grabs their attention, survivors in different barricaded shelters could take turns drawing zombie attention so that they keep running back and forth until they collapse.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 02, 2011, 06:20:13 pm »

Friend of mine had a pretty genius idea for dealing with fast zombies.  Assuming the zombies will just run towards anything that grabs their attention, survivors in different barricaded shelters could take turns drawing zombie attention so that they keep running back and forth until they collapse.
....that's a strategy for later levels of tower defense games.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 02, 2011, 06:20:33 pm »

Or just get an RC car... Seems a lot safer.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 02, 2011, 06:30:01 pm »

If I didn't feel terribly like holing up, I live right by a hospital with a helicopter that likely wouldn't be too hard to jack. Me and a couple buds could grab some equipment from the local National Guard depot and do some re-death from above.
Nothing important here, move along.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #37 on: November 02, 2011, 06:30:47 pm »

I'd probably find shelter in one of the local nuclear plants. They have well-equipped paramilitary guards and tank trenches surrounding the premises. Not quite a military base, but would still hold off zombies for a while.
I hope you know how to turn off a nuclear power plant without having it blow up, meltdown, or both.

I would expect most modern power plants to do this safely more or less automatically.  Of course, I could be horribly wrong. :)

That said, a nuclear power plant is probably one of the better places to defend if you could hold up in one.  And you'd have power for extended periods, I'm pretty sure the fuel rods are good for years, maybe decades.  They probably keep them in some sort of rotation though, so no idea how long you could go without refueling.

The fuel rods? Ha, no problem, those will last for a LONG time. The cooling system on the other hand.... Depends, graphite bauble systems :3 nuclear power plants (most modern one's) should last for an equally long time, but yeah, once the power is out, emergency power is out, or worse, transformer's are overloaded, and the rods melt through their containers...

OH GAWD RADIOACTIVE CANCER ZOMBIES.

Besides people, zombies wouldn't need to bite you, just get some blood on your body [hands, face, open wounds] and you'd be insta screwed.
And all it would take is for rabies to become airborne and you already have 28 weeks later zombies D:

My plan is, well you've always heard the saying an Englishman's home is his castle....
GAME ON ZOMBIES.
*I also remembered something, the SAS is one of the, if not the best elite army force currently existing today, and they're trained to fight in close quarter environments, and are trained to kill with headshots. How are these guys not the perfect zombie kill squad?!!! They just need a Francis... Bill....

Interesting thing to note here, scientists have already made a way to create zombie cells, cells that don't die.

Problem is, the cells don't die even when damaged, hence, zombie cells. Though in reality this would probably make walking vegetables but still :/

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 02, 2011, 06:31:56 pm »

Pikes. Makes a mean zombie kabob that's ready to be cooked.

Stuff like this assumes sufficient opportunity to prepare, after shit has already hit the fan.  Not just directing this at you, either.  People tend to offer solutions that involve a lot of set-up.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 02, 2011, 06:32:44 pm »

Anyways, my plan involves hijacking a boat off Lake Michigan and taking that north into Canada. Fast or slow, I'm pretty sure water's gonna stop zombies in their tracks. Food and drinkable water are likely to be a crapshoot unless I can get a water purifier on board.
Fuck yes, fellow Minnesota/Wisconsin person. WE SHALL MAKE A DANGEROUS ZOMBIE FIGHTING TEAM.

I have no skills involving guns, but I can swing a club pretty good. Oh, and I have three guns in my house so there's another reason to team up with me. I can also provide morale boosts with my amazing stand up comedy routine.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #40 on: November 02, 2011, 06:33:42 pm »

What's so hard about locking your door? :P

I assume that this is after ample quarantine, media coverage and what not.

If you're in the centre of an urban environment whilst an endemic scale zombie outbreak occurs, you're basically screwed.
Also, England FTW

I hope zombie's can swim, otherwise they're not getting anywhere at all.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 02, 2011, 06:36:19 pm »

Stuff like this assumes sufficient opportunity to prepare, after shit has already hit the fan.  Not just directing this at you, either.  People tend to offer solutions that involve a lot of set-up.
And most of them don't account for the inevitability of meat ramps. No, the most sensible plan is to hightail it to somewhere more than a day's walk into permafrost, and try to survive off the scraps of civilization until you can get a sufficiently large greenhouse system set up to sustain you and a small nucleus of fellow survivors who will be the basis for an eventually hopelessly inbred humanity.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 02, 2011, 06:38:00 pm »

Anyways, my plan involves hijacking a boat off Lake Michigan and taking that north into Canada. Fast or slow, I'm pretty sure water's gonna stop zombies in their tracks. Food and drinkable water are likely to be a crapshoot unless I can get a water purifier on board.
Fuck yes, fellow Minnesota/Wisconsin person. WE SHALL MAKE A DANGEROUS ZOMBIE FIGHTING TEAM.

I have no skills involving guns, but I can swing a club pretty good. Oh, and I have three guns in my house so there's another reason to team up with me. I can also provide morale boosts with my amazing stand up comedy routine.
I can shoot get a headshot with a pistol 3/4 times, and a shot through the eyesocket about 1/4 times. I'm an emaciated weakfuck however, so I'm not going to do so well with the stabbies. Good thing I'm a right-wing crazy with enough gun to take out half the town  :P

Oh, who is this gentleman at the frontdo- NAPALM

And most of them don't account for the inevitability of meat ramps. No, the most sensible plan is to hightail it to somewhere more than a day's walk into permafrost, and try to survive off the scraps of civilization until you can get a sufficiently large greenhouse system set up to sustain you and a small nucleus of fellow survivors who will be the basis for an eventually hopelessly inbred humanity.
This^

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #43 on: November 02, 2011, 06:39:02 pm »

Stand behind steel fence (Not a flimsy chain link, PROPER FENCE GRRRRR), get something sharp, stab zombies all day long.

Too many corpses? Burn zombies. Attract help with the smoke. TA DA!!

Also, I'd be useless with a gun.

Great with a sword /random fencing ftw/

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 02, 2011, 06:42:46 pm »

Firing a gun isn't as hard as games with skills make it out to be. Seriously, point and click interface, pretty simple.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 16