Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7

Author Topic: Scientists have plans to tear apart the vacuum of space  (Read 39281 times)

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
Re: Scientists have plans to tear apart the vacuum of space
« Reply #60 on: November 03, 2011, 07:25:30 pm »

I don't want to be that guy, but the worlds governments really need to shut this down.
As if you're not curious what lies below the below, in the darkest depths of irreality?

I am not much impressed by this project. It will just be some energy (200 kJoules = 50 gramm TNT, doesn't sound like militarily significant) that will be concentrated in tiny space. Experiments on laser ignited nuclear fusion already deal with more energy that is less concentrated and LHC - with less energy that has higher concentration.
Not 200kJ, 200PW. Even for only a split second, you still need an incredible amount of voltage. More than the Earth currently has, unless they can ramp up the current like mad.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 03, 2011, 07:25:30 pm »

I don't want to be that guy, but the worlds goverments really need to shut this down.
Why? It's probably not dangerous.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 03, 2011, 07:31:52 pm »

I don't want to be that guy, but the worlds goverments really need to shut this down.
Why? It's probably not dangerous.
Yes, what could possibly go wrong?

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 03, 2011, 07:39:43 pm »

Why does this even need to be researched? Nobody should never invent something capable of fucking up the whole world.
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #64 on: November 03, 2011, 07:41:27 pm »

Why does this even need to be researched? Nobody should never invent something capable of fucking up the whole world.
Because it's not capable of fucking up the whole world?

Eagleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #65 on: November 03, 2011, 07:49:21 pm »

I don't want to be that guy, but the worlds governments really need to shut this down.
As if you're not curious what lies below the below, in the darkest depths of irreality?

I am not much impressed by this project. It will just be some energy (200 kJoules = 50 gramm TNT, doesn't sound like militarily significant) that will be concentrated in tiny space. Experiments on laser ignited nuclear fusion already deal with more energy that is less concentrated and LHC - with less energy that has higher concentration.
Not 200kJ, 200PW. Even for only a split second, you still need an incredible amount of voltage. More than the Earth currently has, unless they can ramp up the current like mad.
200PWh in a trillionth of a second is quite a significantly 'split' second. So no, you don't need an enormous amount of voltage, just the ability to deliver it all at the same incredibly tiny timespan to the same place, which in many ways is much more difficult.
Because it's not capable of fucking up the whole world?
This. The vacuum of space is different from space itself, which would require gravitational distortion to tamper with at all. If you've heard of vacuum energy, this is taking that and pumping a ton of energy into it to make it more visible. Like a really short-lived burst from a guitar amp - the guitar isn't making a lot of noise, it's the energy we're putting through the 'speakers'. Really not that exotic.

C'mon, guys, this is how psuedoscientific fear-mongering gets started, re. LHC fiasco, with people actually trying to ban the thing.
Agora: open-source, next-gen online discussions with formal outcomes!
Music, Ballpoint
Support 100% Emigration, Everyone Walking Around Confused Forever 2044

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 03, 2011, 08:02:38 pm »

Hell, if I die, I'm happy to go out knowing that mad scientists are real.

But probably not. I'd mostly be screaming.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 03, 2011, 08:05:48 pm »

I'm totally behind this statement. I mean, the A-bomb did not ignite the atmosphere, CERN did not create a black hole, but one of these days we'll just run out of our luck and Something BadTM will happen.

Not 200kJ, 200PW.
200PWh
Madness! It keeps changing! What could it mean?!

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 03, 2011, 08:06:43 pm »

Much more extreme stuff happens all the time in space, but the fact that we're now trying to look at it means that this time it will destroy the fabric of the universe.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 03, 2011, 08:08:17 pm »

I think governments need to shut you down.
Shoes...

UltraValican

• Bay Watcher
  • The Man aiming to be a Man!
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 03, 2011, 08:20:14 pm »

I'm not fucking with forces that very well hold space together.
Would you rather be an Ant in Heaven or a Man in Hell?

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 03, 2011, 08:25:45 pm »

Nor do you understand them. I mean, do you want nuclear power banned because that's tampering with the forces that hold atoms together? What about coal mining, which fucks with the very earth under our feet? Fire, because it messes with the air we breath and the matter we build, eat, and are made of?
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 03, 2011, 08:26:46 pm »

Don't listen to Cthulhu! He's got a hidden agenda! He's been waiting for this moment since eons before time!

PsyberianHusky

• Bay Watcher
  • The best at being the worst at video games.
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 03, 2011, 08:27:21 pm »

I wanted the power to destroy everything, and when I could destroy everything, I wanted to destroy nothing.
Thank you based dwarf.

UltraValican

• Bay Watcher
  • The Man aiming to be a Man!
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 03, 2011, 08:28:41 pm »

Nor do you understand them. I mean, do you want nuclear power banned because that's tampering with the forces that hold atoms together? What about coal mining, which fucks with the very earth under our feet? Fire, because it messes with the air we breath and the matter we build, eat, and are made of?
No, but theres a difference between screwing an area up and screwing the hole damn universe up.
That being said I don't understand it, but do we really need to know? I mean really?
What am I saying? Onward to oblivion!!!
Would you rather be an Ant in Heaven or a Man in Hell?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7