Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7

Author Topic: Scientists have plans to tear apart the vacuum of space  (Read 39247 times)

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
Re: Scientists have plans to tear apart the vacuum of space
« Reply #75 on: November 03, 2011, 08:34:43 pm »

That's the spirit!

Besides, if something this minor can screw up reality itself, we were bound to do it on accident sooner or later anyway. Best to just get it out of the way and say hello to the Rift Daemons right now.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

UltraValican

• Bay Watcher
  • The Man aiming to be a Man!
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 03, 2011, 08:35:50 pm »

That's the spirit!

Besides, if something this minor can screw up reality itself, we were bound to do it on accident sooner or later anyway. Best to just get it out of the way and say hello to the Rift Daemons right now.
Its a shame we couldnt wait till the velocirapture...
Would you rather be an Ant in Heaven or a Man in Hell?

Eagleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #77 on: November 03, 2011, 08:39:11 pm »

Not 200kJ, 200PW.
200PWh
Madness! It keeps changing! What could it mean?!
Sorry, I was mistaken, it's probably just 200PW - the s is generally left off. Thinking of 200PW as 'a lot' without thinking of time-frame is like leaving off the per-hour in MPH, only more acceptable because generally what you're assumed to be talking about is joules per second if you don't have it indicated. Wattage is a measure of joules per second. So 1 trillionth of a second of 200PW is equal to about 1000 joules? I don't know, my conversions might be off and I'm not great with math, but it's certainly not going to burn a hole through the planet or anything, let alone space-time itself.
Agora: open-source, next-gen online discussions with formal outcomes!
Music, Ballpoint
Support 100% Emigration, Everyone Walking Around Confused Forever 2044

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 03, 2011, 09:02:53 pm »

So 1 trillionth of a second of 200PW is equal to about 1000 joules?
It's 1MJ actually.
Still, you should keep in mind that Wh is a non-standard unit of energy that'd require conversion of 1Wh=3600J, so you shouldn't really use it there.

Fun fact, ~400PJ is what you'd get from e.g. completely annihilating your cat. Assuming it'd take a whole second, then you'd have a 400PW cat. It could power two such lasers easily!

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 03, 2011, 09:08:09 pm »

Fun fact, ~400PJ is what you'd get from e.g. completely annihilating your cat. Assuming it'd take a whole second, then you'd have a 400PW cat. It could power two such lasers easily!

So what you're saying is, the laser will work fine, as soon as we invent a total mass-conversion reactor.  Sounds like a solid first step to me.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 03, 2011, 09:10:02 pm »

Oups, sorry, did I say two lasers? I meant two trillion lasers, just no more than two at a time.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 03, 2011, 09:19:53 pm »

So what you're saying is, the laser will work fine, as soon as we invent a total mass-conversion reactor.  Sounds like a solid first step to me.

A total mass conversion reactor... that runs on cats? So... if it ran out of control, we'd have a...

...Thermonuclear catsplosion?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Eagleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #82 on: November 03, 2011, 09:22:48 pm »

Your cat is two Tsar Bombas, just chilling out, making cute noises and scratching up your furniture every day. Just sitting around being a cat. Think about it, maaaaaaan.
Agora: open-source, next-gen online discussions with formal outcomes!
Music, Ballpoint
Support 100% Emigration, Everyone Walking Around Confused Forever 2044

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 03, 2011, 09:24:30 pm »

I dunno, are you not aware that there are already lasers that run at a higher power than the entire world's power output?  I mean this probably isn't gonna be that big a step up in terms of laser technology (the big thing seems to be "use a lot of these powerful lasers we already have").

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 03, 2011, 09:36:11 pm »

To put this whole thing into more life-relevant context, the laser will have a nominal power of 200PW, but firing for 1/1000000000 of a second will use only 1MJ of energy, which in turn is roughly the amount that 60 horsepower engine delivers in half an hour. Or 1/2000 of what the Three Gorges Dam working at full capacity produces in one second.

As Eagleon said, the difficulty is in focusing that energy into a very tiny space and time frame.

Of course, saying that it's a Super Mighty Laser of Doom is better from the journalistic point of view.

Your cat is two Tsar Bombas, just chilling out, making cute noises and scratching up your furniture every day. Just sitting around being a cat. Think about it, maaaaaaan.
Einstein taught us that each time we're taking a dump, we produce a potential few-megaton bomb.

ed: typo
« Last Edit: November 03, 2011, 09:57:39 pm by Il Palazzo »

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 03, 2011, 09:42:14 pm »

I dunno, are you not aware that there are already lasers that run at a higher power than the entire world's power output?  I mean this probably isn't gonna be that big a step up in terms of laser technology (the big thing seems to be "use a lot of these powerful lasers we already have").
Apparently each of the 10 lasers will be about thrice as powerful as the most powerful current laser.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 03, 2011, 09:51:39 pm »

are you not aware that there are already lasers that run at a higher power than the entire world's power output?

Aw sweet, it's in Texas.  Bow down before your evanescent cowboy overlo

femtoseconds

Oh, nevermind.  They're just makin' crap up.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 03, 2011, 11:52:27 pm »

femtoseconds

About that.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 04, 2011, 02:00:08 am »

C'mon, guys, this is how psuedoscientific fear-mongering gets started, re. LHC fiasco, with people actually trying to ban the thing.

I agree. Even though I'm scared shitless and yesterday lynched three local scientists (two geologists and a botanist) while screaming "I don't understand! I just don't understand!".

...But I think we should at least make sure the head guy really isn't an Old God cultist before we let him build anything. Preferably twice.

femtoseconds

About that.

Oh come on. How am I possibly going to be able to believe a giant, universe-ripping laser  making use of something with the name Femto in it isn't at all supposed to summon up demonic forces? That's just too famn obvious.
Love, scriver~

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 04, 2011, 03:53:47 am »

Hold on....isn't femto a measure of scale? 10^(-15) if I'm not mistaken. I is confused. :(
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7