Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7

Author Topic: Scientists have plans to tear apart the vacuum of space  (Read 38118 times)

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
Re: Scientists have plans to tear apart the vacuum of space
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2011, 09:15:26 pm »

In related news, I have just found the perfect hood ornament for my car.

That's a practical plan, yes? Never worry about traffic again.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2011, 09:16:20 pm »

You'd probably destroy time and space itself, but yes. It would help get people out of the way  :P

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2011, 09:34:30 pm »

Bah, that's kiddy pool stuff. You want a real laser?

BAM (Scroll down)
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2011, 09:42:23 pm »

You'd probably destroy time and space itself, but yes. It would help get people out of the way  :P

Hey, destroying spacetime is better than sitting through rushhour traffic.

The idea is obviously to rip space-time so we can ask the future a question.
Specifically, that question will be how to close the horror rift.

Well what's the point of ripping a hole in the fabric of reality if you fix it before meeting any brainmelting cosmic horrors? Y'know, like Ayn Rand.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2011, 09:45:11 pm »

Well what's the point of ripping a hole in the fabric of reality if you fix it before meeting any brainmelting cosmic horrors? Y'know, like Ayn Rand.

We just have to shoot a few copies of Atlas shrugged through the hole, and they'll give up :P
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2011, 09:45:48 pm »

And then Scientists end up opening a portal to the underworld, and we will all serve our new dark overlord C'thulu.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2011, 09:48:33 pm »

We just have to shoot a few copies of Atlas shrugged through the hole, and they'll give up :P
Somehow I don't think that driving the insane even more insane would help.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2011, 09:53:17 pm »

Somehow I don't think that driving the insane even more insane would help.
Throw me in. And give me my axe.

Let there be Fun.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2011, 09:55:50 pm »

Why would your example of how the laser works look exactly like the Death Star beam?  Who do you think you're fooling, science?  We've been here before, we know your tricks.
I'm glad I'm not the only one who saw Death Star in that. It's funny, I watched a show only two years ago claiming that making a laser work in that manner isn't possible. So much for that.

Well, at least we'll have a planet-killer when we inadvertently signal an alien species because of this thing's power output.

Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2011, 09:56:13 pm »

If you tear apart the vacuum of space, what's the vacuum equivalent inside a vacuum? One powerful sucker, I would suspect.

EDIT:
Plus, since when did Earth now become a Death Star?
« Last Edit: November 02, 2011, 09:58:49 pm by Itnetlolor »

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2011, 09:57:36 pm »

If you tear apart the vacuum of space, what's the vacuum equivalent inside a vacuum? One powerful sucker, I would suspect.
I don't think you understand. There shouldn't be anything below the vacuum. That's the end. We will have truly ripped a hole into nothing. Which, for our sake, hopefully does not create a black hole or something equally horrible.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2011, 09:58:21 pm »

I don't think you understand. There shouldn't be anything below the vacuum. That's the end. We will have truly ripped a hole into nothing. Which, for our sake, hopefully does not create a black hole or something equally horrible.
It's already been done before anyway, just not on this fucking massive scale.

Montague

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2011, 10:09:24 pm »

The real question is, is this laser going to be powerful enough? They might need to build 9 more of these and combine them into a single beam.

Another thought: If this laser is going to be that powerful, won't it melt itself when its fired? I thought one of the major physical limitations to the output of lasers was that they'd boil their mirrors away and not work. If not, could they retire the laser, put a big mirror into orbit and bounce it over the horizon to potentially melt hostile foreign people?

Along those lines... don't nuclear warheads generate temperatures similar to what this laser is designed to achieve? Do they just generate too much excess noise to detect these particles they hope to study?

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2011, 10:09:32 pm »

I prefer to think they'll start a resonance cascade.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2011, 10:12:09 pm »

The real question is, is this laser going to be powerful enough? They might need to build 9 more of these and combine them into a single beam.

Another thought: If this laser is going to be that powerful, won't it melt itself when its fired? I thought one of the major physical limitations to the output of lasers was that they'd boil their mirrors away and not work. If not, could they retire the laser, put a big mirror into orbit and bounce it over the horizon to potentially melt hostile foreign people?

Along those lines... don't nuclear warheads generate temperatures similar to what this laser is designed to achieve? Do they just generate too much excess noise to detect these particles they hope to study?
The idea is that a laser is much more focused than a warhead.

As for temperatures, that's why they're building prototypes :P
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7