Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

Author Topic: Scientists have plans to tear apart the vacuum of space  (Read 38123 times)

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Scientists have plans to tear apart the vacuum of space
« Reply #45 on: November 03, 2011, 11:18:48 am »

Another thought: If this laser is going to be that powerful, won't it melt itself when its fired? I thought one of the major physical limitations to the output of lasers was that they'd boil their mirrors away and not work.
This (or something like it; often it's not mirrors but other components that are fragile) is why major lasers like this combine multiple beams.

At no time will the full beam be passed through any given lasing chamber or material. At most you need one lens to focus the multiple beams. More likely you just aim them all at the same target as with inertial fusion lasers like the NIF.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 03, 2011, 11:28:05 am »

Another thought: If this laser is going to be that powerful, won't it melt itself when its fired? I thought one of the major physical limitations to the output of lasers was that they'd boil their mirrors away and not work.
This (or something like it; often it's not mirrors but other components that are fragile) is why major lasers like this combine multiple beams.

At no time will the full beam be passed through any given lasing chamber or material. At most you need one lens to focus the multiple beams. More likely you just aim them all at the same target as with inertial fusion lasers like the NIF.
See: Death Star

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 03, 2011, 11:49:07 am »

My complete ass-pull prediction: We'll find that the fabric of spacetime is much like the skin of a balloon, and this laser will melt a hole in the cosmic balloon, causing it to fly around wildly for several seconds while making colossal rude noises.

This is the way the world ends
Not with a bang but a BRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAP

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 03, 2011, 12:08:48 pm »

Why?  Why would you build this thing?  How are you even going to use it, when it requires more electricity to run than the whole planet produces?
Well, essentially they're delivering a pretty damn small amount of energy very quickly.  Less than 2kJ, even (so uh... about 3 seconds of lightbulb).  So an array of batteries would be fine.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 03, 2011, 12:18:33 pm »

My complete ass-pull prediction: We'll find that the fabric of spacetime is much like the skin of a balloon, and this laser will melt a hole in the cosmic balloon, causing it to fly around wildly for several seconds while making colossal rude noises.

Not with a bang but a BRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAP

Well, then I'm happy I still have my childish humor left, as I'll get to die happily, laughing manically for the last second of my existance.
Love, scriver~

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #50 on: November 03, 2011, 02:29:53 pm »

This is most splendid.

timotheus

• Bay Watcher
  • New to Dwarf Fortress.. Long time ASCII gamer..
    • View Profile
    • Home
« Reply #51 on: November 03, 2011, 05:54:33 pm »

If they fire it up, and then then Spock comes walking through the rift I am pooping myself.
twitter: @timotheus
email: tim@hithlonde.com
xmpp: tim@hithlonde.com

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 03, 2011, 05:57:47 pm »

/Gozer

"Choose.....choose the form of the destructor!"

/Gozer
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 03, 2011, 06:32:32 pm »

I don't see what all the science mocking is about, I would say this could yield some very interesting results. Conditions more  extreme  then can be found in  the sun, in a controlled environment ready to be measured? Yes please!
I don't like this whole fabric of space time thing though. Either I'm uneducated or it's a very vague concept. A fabric? Like some sort of textile? Made out of what?
Anyho, yay progress!

Wait so if I understand this right, the goal is to reverse the process of matter and antimatter disapating one another by blasting a whole lot of energy into a very small area? Gah I don't know enough about this stuff, but it does sound interesting. Wether it'll work is something else.  :D
« Last Edit: November 03, 2011, 06:36:41 pm by Jelle »

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 03, 2011, 06:37:36 pm »

I don't like this whole fabric of space time thing though. Either I'm uneducated or it's a very vague concept. A fabric? Like some sort of textile? Made out of what?
Reality.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 03, 2011, 06:41:11 pm »

The 'fabric of spacetime' is just a turn of phrase. There isn't actually a *Giant Cave Spider Silk Cloth* underlaying everything :P

Basically, all this experiment is doing, as Another outlined on the other page, is turning energy into matter. In this case, turning it into matter for long enough to measure the properties of said matter. The science side of it is interesting, but ultimately not hugely revolutionary.

However, the thing about scientists is, we're geeks. When we have a chance to build a GIANT LASER that can overcome QUANTUM ANNIHILATION, we get excited :P
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #56 on: November 03, 2011, 06:54:36 pm »

Do note that this experiment has been done many times before.

Just not on this FUCKING HUGE scale.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 03, 2011, 07:04:40 pm »

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Thank you, Science, and thank you, Scientists. Thank you for never being afraid to ask for vast amounts of money to build a groundbreaking death laser intended to annihilate space.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 03, 2011, 07:09:23 pm »

Thank you, Science, and thank you, Scientists. Thank you for never being afraid to ask for vast amounts of money to build a groundbreaking death laser intended to annihilate space.
I can only imagine what they had to say to the people who don't understand the exact science of this in order to get funding.

"Yes, we need a couple hundred million dollars to build this new laser."
"Wait, what is the laser for?"
"Well....we kind of need to blow something up with it."
"Really, what?"
".....Space."
"..."
"..."
"Fund it!"
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

UltraValican

• Bay Watcher
  • The Man aiming to be a Man!
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 03, 2011, 07:19:49 pm »

I don't want to be that guy, but the worlds goverments really need to shut this down.
Would you rather be an Ant in Heaven or a Man in Hell?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7