Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Door bug... mabye?  (Read 674 times)

DakaSha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Door bug... mabye?
« on: August 12, 2006, 07:31:00 pm »

my best fortress so far was completly flooded just awhile ago  :(

i had a stone door with a stone on the same tile that was meant for blocking the flood once i use the floodgates but for some reason i couldnt lock it but i could tell it to be left closed which i made sure to set. when i hit lock it just wouldnt do anything.

still the water rushed through it and wiped out all but 2 dwarfs (one who was sleeping during the whole thing :P his door worked i guess)

so im wondering if it was because of the stone in the way or if something was just wrong. even if it was because of the stone it kinda sucks because i cant tell a dwarf to get rid of it :P

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
Re: Door bug... mabye?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2006, 07:35:00 pm »

If there's a stone sitting in the same square, the door is wide open (same thing as a creature being there).  The dialogue is meant to say what your preferences are, rather than what the state of the door is.  Perhaps some clarity on this screen will save the next batch of dwarves from becoming dead.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2006, 07:37:00 pm »

I have doors at every single intersection and junction in my fortress.  They're so easy to build that there's really no reason not to have them every few feet, and they'll prevent all sorts of things (miasmas, flooding, minor invasions, etc) from getting out of hand.  Plus, if a dwarf has a tantrum, you can just lock the doors around them until they calm down.
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

DakaSha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2006, 07:40:00 pm »

so of course now i have to ask if there is any way to get that stone away from the door when i need it gone ^^

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2006, 07:40:00 pm »

it won't go to a mining pile?

DakaSha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2006, 07:45:00 pm »

no sure it will... but i had like probably 200 rocks scattered around the fortress and the chance of a dwarf picking up exatly that one was kind of slim

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2006, 07:48:00 pm »

yeah, there's no specific option for prioritizing hauls at this point, so if you allow things to get messy it becomes a real hauling pain after a while.

JimmyJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2006, 11:31:00 pm »

Maybe toady can consider setting an option for making it so piles can be set to only take selected stones or whatever the pile is for to the pile?
et out of my signiture!!!!!!!!!!

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2006, 01:58:00 am »

There are a lot of pile reqs along these lines -- it should be possible to have a lot more control over them.  It's just a matter of coming up with a good interface for it.

Gedsaro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2006, 02:44:00 am »

What I wan to know is why so many people have rocks on the same square as their doors that are suppost to stop flooding?

(someone in another thread mentioned having a rock on their door to.)

[ August 13, 2006: Message edited by: Gedsaro ]