Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Siege sieze  (Read 2431 times)

Flattermann

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Siege sieze
« on: November 21, 2011, 07:27:41 pm »

I wanna know if there are any modifiers for the seize of the sieges you get. Today I made a new fortress and just had the first two sieges, while the first was just a bow gobbo and his 8 friends but the second one not much later had a platoon of melees and four angry Trolls.I cant really remember doing anything significant in between short of some work on the Bastion (which was in  fain I might add since they found a hidden entrance to an mine shaft >.<)

Are there any things known to enlarge sieges? Im tempted to repeat this some more  :)

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
Re: Siege sieze
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2011, 07:33:06 pm »

It seems like the first siege rarely ever(if at all)consists of more than a single squad, after that I have no idea what determines a siege's size. I assume it's related to fortress wealth, though.

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
  • thats not a red mage...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2011, 09:17:20 pm »

well i have some info that can help.

wealth will make more goblins attack

for every head you wack of 1.5 will show up. the longer you hold, and the more sieges you kill, more goblins will show
(this is all i can say on how to make goblins attack)

now heres how you make sieges happen

kobolds: let the robb you cleen and they will get bolder

elfs: give them wood shiz and plant shiz they willget PIZZED OFF (but there armor is made of butter

humans: kill one of there caravans and they will come back with alot more armor and swords

goblins: just sit back and do nothing
I've decided to say "fuck it" and will just implode my fort.

“Ok, Neo ChosenUrist, before you is two levers. Pull the Kimberlite lever -- you wakeup in a random bed and have whatever thoughts you want to think. You pull the Bauxite lever -- you stay in the caverns and I show you how deep the adamantine hole goes.” - psalms

Flattermann

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2011, 01:53:15 pm »

ah thx for the info I kinda suspected wealth would factor in but the 1.5 multiplier for gobbos is news to me (immediately the last cage traps are dissembled :D ). Unfortunately I lost my ever angry militia commander last siege so my plans to make the wrath of the mountainhome incarnate will have to wait till another suitable candidate shows up but I guess there is no harm in raising the siege seize till then.

Another question that came to mind has it any effect if you kill the notables of a civilisation (General/King etc.) ? 

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2011, 03:17:12 pm »

I assume you mean size, but exporting resources and trade goods whilst letting goblins leave your map to report your fortress wealth are LOVELY ways to get large sieges. Plus, killing diplomats and trade caravans of other races means you could end up with lotsa !FUN! c:

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2011, 07:03:04 pm »

ah thx for the info I kinda suspected wealth would factor in but the 1.5 multiplier for gobbos is news to me (immediately the last cage traps are dissembled :D ).

Another question that came to mind has it any effect if you kill the notables of a civilisation (General/King etc.) ?
The reason it is news to you is because it doesn't exist. The only reason that fort's get larger sieges later on is just a combination of wealth increase and a slow increase over time. Whether or not you actually kill the invaders has no effect upon the numbers.

As for killing the notables, once a king/general is slain their civilization will no longer have access to any creatures tamed in world gen by that notable, which in most cases means no more sieges riding on unicorns/jabberers/giant eagles.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
  • thats not a red mage...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2011, 09:31:48 pm »

ah thx for the info I kinda suspected wealth would factor in but the 1.5 multiplier for gobbos is news to me (immediately the last cage traps are dissembled :D ).

The reason it is news to you is because it doesn't exist. The only reason that fort's get larger sieges later on is just a combination of wealth increase and a slow increase over time. Whether or not you actually kill the invaders has no effect upon the numbers.

As for killing the notables, once a king/general is slain their civilization will no longer have access to any creatures tamed in world gen by that notable, which in most cases means no more sieges riding on unicorns/jabberers/giant eagles.

i was not being litteral. there is no multiplier. im just saying that

THERE ARE ALWAYS MORE!
no matter how many you kill there will always be more...           always
I've decided to say "fuck it" and will just implode my fort.

“Ok, Neo ChosenUrist, before you is two levers. Pull the Kimberlite lever -- you wakeup in a random bed and have whatever thoughts you want to think. You pull the Bauxite lever -- you stay in the caverns and I show you how deep the adamantine hole goes.” - psalms

NonconsensualSurgery

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2011, 09:14:38 am »

i was not being litteral. there is no multiplier. im just saying that

THERE ARE ALWAYS MORE!
no matter how many you kill there will always be more...           always

My theory on goblins is that they reproduce like rabbits and, being immune to hunger or thirst or old age, do so without natural limits.

It gets very crowded in the goblin fortresses. They have an unlimited supply of metals from their thriving bold recycling industry, so they outfit surplus members of the population with basic weapons and send them on sieges that hardly ever come back solely to keep the crowding down. They'd just toss their idiots and surplus goblins into lava themselves if they had the heart.

Elves have a similar overpopulation problem because they're immortal, but have solved the problem of living forever with dendrophilia, homosexuality and cannibalism.
Never had a bat massacre people with an axe before.
EDIT2: Oh god, the bat has got a title now.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2011, 11:43:51 am »

i was not being litteral. there is no multiplier.
The 1.5 figure isn't high enough to be obviously an exaggeration, and is precise enough to be read as a statement about the game mechanics. It's reasonable enough for someone to take the comment at its face value.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

jeffreyac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2011, 12:29:54 pm »

For example, I find I take 2.7 statements in each thread at face value.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2011, 01:21:36 pm »

For example, I find I take 2.7 statements in each thread at face value.

Every quote below my OP is... ^