Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Survival of the original 7  (Read 1977 times)

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
Re: Survival of the original 7
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2011, 09:48:43 pm »

I have never killed my first 7 yet, except for that one time when I cracked open the circus without a military... Every single dwarf was hunted down, except for one injured / mechalony dwarf who hid in his room and lived.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2011, 10:09:37 pm »

Barring a freak mining accident or a body of water thawing right after embark, my original seven always make it to the end.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2011, 10:23:04 pm »

They survive for a pretty long time. By the time immigrants show up the only useful ones are the starting 7 so they don't get to join the military or be used for accident-prone labors like housebuilding.

The miners have a tendency to run into trouble so my 2 starting miners usually die first. The 2 starting woodcutter are also at risk but they don't work as much.
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Mickey Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2011, 10:35:20 pm »

I usually give three of my starting seven custom names to keep track and, oftentimes, they end up dying.. Then again they are almost always in the military (my first and last line of defense) so that isn't unexpected.

Epithemius

• Bay Watcher
  • [AFTERTHOUGHT:100]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2011, 01:44:29 am »

I generally give mine a nickname like "McMiner" or something, so I at least can keep tabs on them. Most of the time, they survive, unless I get a bit too... magmacidal...

Deimos56

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: unicorpion]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2011, 02:28:14 am »

I try to keep them alive, but my latest batch has displayed an alarming habit of loitering underneath areas I'm about to cave in. Have thus far lost my original miner and original brewer and put about 25 generic dwarves in the hospital. Yes, the two that died were both founding members. And the generic horde of migrant filth gets a broken leg or two but is otherwise unharmed.. :-[

Except for my Broker, who got in two cave ins, broke both legs and an arm, smashed a series of ribs, got an infection, has slow healing and poor disease resistance... and is currently wholly recovered from the infections and puttering around the fort merrily with legs that are only a little bit crushed and a crutch. After going to trade with the mountainhome in this state, he is now officially my favorite of the starting seven.
I'm curious what the barely conscious ai wrote about.
Well that went better than expected.  He went nuts and punched a rabbit to death, then the dogs and the whole dining hall ripped him to shreds.

Tharwen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2011, 06:50:40 am »

My original armoursmith is still alive in a fortress that has had its population halved several times already. That's enough for me.
[Signature]
Pages: 1 [2]