Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Changing prepared organs into ordinary meat when butchered  (Read 1764 times)

htabdoolb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Changing prepared organs into ordinary meat when butchered
« on: December 30, 2012, 07:20:57 am »

I'm tired of having to scroll through tons of "prepared X organs" in my kitchen list, so I'd like to change what I get from a butchered creature so that it is all just "X meat". While poking through the material template raws I noticed the tag on organs to give them their individual names when butchered. I tried changing these to meat, rather than prepared spleen or whatever, but that only resulted in the displayed name changing. The renamed organs still butchered into their own little stacks and were listed in the kitchen and stocks lists separately.

I'm wary of just removing organs willy nilly from the standard body plan, as I'm afraid that creatures will just suffocate from lack of lungs or die immediately from lack of thought parts(brain). Even if they don't die, it would still radically change combat mechanics if creatures couldn't suffocate or bleed out from organ damage anymore.

One mod I looked at here removed the individual creature names from butchered meat products, producing only identical generic meat and organs from all animals, but I would prefer not to use this method. I like knowing where the meat in my larder originated from, I'd just like the list to be less cluttered.

Any advise is appreciated.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: Changing prepared organs into ordinary meat when butchered
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2012, 09:30:46 am »

I did try a lot on grouping together parts, but I wouldnt know how to achieve your goal. The butchered rests derive from the components in the body. Meat is actually the leftover from muscle tissue. To get all meat, you would have to remove organs... and cartilage, and spleens, and so forth. In short, I dont think it is possible. You could try not_butcherable, and at extra_ebo items, which are additional items that are dropped upon butchering stuff, and make those meat-only. That would have to be done in every creature, which is the problem.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Replica

• Bay Watcher
  • Temp. leave of absence
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2012, 02:06:22 pm »

I did try a lot on grouping together parts, but I wouldnt know how to achieve your goal. The butchered rests derive from the components in the body. Meat is actually the leftover from muscle tissue. To get all meat, you would have to remove organs... and cartilage, and spleens, and so forth. In short, I dont think it is possible. You could try not_butcherable, and at extra_ebo items, which are additional items that are dropped upon butchering stuff, and make those meat-only. That would have to be done in every creature, which is the problem.

Doing this however will essentially remove butchering altogether, and you wont be able to butcher skeletons from NOT_BUTCHERABLE creatures into bones and skulls.
Quote from: tahujdt
I don't know about unicorns, but back in .95, one of my PA soldiers was diagnosed with power armor. I drew a fairly good picture about it, but my science project (a bunny) pissed all over it.
Fallout: Equestria - Index of Stable Reports x Fallout: Equestria - Orange

ArKFallen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bohandean Desserter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2012, 06:28:17 pm »

You could probably just change all the organ tissue templates to use the 'local_creature_mat:muscle' instead of their specific materials.
Hm, have you considered murder?  It's either that or letting it go.
SigText
I logged back on ;_;

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2012, 06:54:15 pm »

I thought he did that... the result would be organs made of muscle, which will still be organs.
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

htabdoolb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2012, 08:29:30 pm »

I've actually tried two things to accomplish this, neither of which seems to have worked.

First, I went to material_template_default file and changed all the MEAT_NAME tags in the entries for each organ material. This changed the names of the organs meat that results in butchering to just "X meat", instead of "prepared X organ", but they still made their own little separate stacks, which just means that instead of having a long cluttered list of different organs, I have an equally long and cluttered list of meat meat meat meat.

Second, I tried replacing the organ materials in the b_detail_plan_default file with the meat template, instead of their individual organ templates. For example, I changed ADD_MATERIAL:HEART:HEART_TEMPLATE to ADD_MATERIAL:HEART:MUSCLE_TEMPLATE, in the hopes that if the heart organ was made from the muscle material, rather than heart material, it  would butcher out as just plain muscle. This also didn't seem to work, though I'm pretty sure the organs are made of muscle now, rather than their original organ materials, as they weigh twice what they normally do. Organs usually weigh 1 unit, while meat weighs 2 units. The modified organs weighed 2 units, reflecting the density of the muscle material, which is a bit more than twice that of organ materials.

ArKFallen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bohandean Desserter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2012, 09:43:16 pm »

Second, I tried replacing the organ materials in the b_detail_plan_default file with the meat template, instead of their individual organ templates. For example, I changed ADD_MATERIAL:HEART:HEART_TEMPLATE to ADD_MATERIAL:HEART:MUSCLE_TEMPLATE, in the hopes that if the heart organ was made from the muscle material, rather than heart material, it  would butcher out as just plain muscle. This also didn't seem to work, though I'm pretty sure the organs are made of muscle now, rather than their original organ materials, as they weigh twice what they normally do. Organs usually weigh 1 unit, while meat weighs 2 units. The modified organs weighed 2 units, reflecting the density of the muscle material, which is a bit more than twice that of organ materials.

I just changed the tissue_template_default (organ tissue materials to muscle) and tested in the arena and it works. Here is the resulting file (minor prior tampering):
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
After butchering in the arena, creatures have giant stacks of meat, some fat, and some skin. The meat organs seem to add to the stack instead of making their own.

Mission Accomplished.
Hm, have you considered murder?  It's either that or letting it go.
SigText
I logged back on ;_;

htabdoolb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2012, 10:12:22 pm »

Excellent, thank you very much. I'll go try it right now.

I had been experimenting with changing the relsizes of organs in the b_detail_plan_default file, in the hopes that if organs were small enough in relation to the rest of the body that they just wouldn't be large enough to yield a whole unit of organ meat. This also didn't work at all.

htabdoolb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2012, 10:23:16 pm »

It works perfectly! I can't thank you enough. The cluttered kitchen/stocks meat list has been bugging me ever since I first started playing Dwarf Fortress.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2012, 10:30:52 pm »

Respect. Well done.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2012, 02:31:03 pm »

I thought he did that... the result would be organs made of muscle, which will still be organs.
Technically, a lot of organs are made of muscle. And epithelial tissue. Focus on the muscle, though.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.