Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: DANGER rooms  (Read 6815 times)

Kofthefens

• Bay Watcher
  • Keep calm and OH GOD CAPYBARAS
    • View Profile
    • Marshland Games
DANGER rooms
« on: November 05, 2011, 05:04:07 pm »

Many people don't use danger rooms on the grounds that they train too fast. I have made a way to make them slightly less exploity: namely, make pits on either side. This still trains faster than non-danger room training, while still not creating instant super-soldiers.

Code: [Select]

l+l
l./.l
 l+l
 l+l
key: l is a wall, + is the floor, / is the upright spike, and . is the pit.

To increase the injury of your dwarves, you can put all sorts of fun things at the bottom of the pits, in addition to adjusting the height of pit. Because even a drop of 1 z will stun a dwarf, you can make use of weapon traps at the bottom, or even combine it with a swimming pool. This also slows down training speed. Your dwarves will have to walk back up to the training room. You can adjust the length of the passage back up for ideal training speed. This design still trains up to adequate or so quite fast; the higher level a dodger any given dwarf is, the more often it jumps into a pit.

List of reasons to use this
1. Decreasing skill gains
2. Can put the 'Danger' in danger room
3. Is far faster than normal training
4. Gives player high degree of control over the process
I don't care about your indigestion-- How are you is a greeting, not a question.

The epic of Îton Sákrith
The Chronicles of HammerBlaze
My website - Free games

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: DANGER rooms
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2011, 05:24:49 pm »

Love it.  Now I can make all my military dwarves disgustingly disfigured while also training them to legendary relatively quickly.  Adjusting the drop depth, adding spikes or weapon traps at the bottom, or hostile creatures, could increase the Fun tremendously.

Also: you got Relativity'd.

Montague

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2012, 06:14:27 pm »

This is an interesting idea, I have some questions, though.

Does this work? Do they actually parry/block/dodge the spears or spikes they fall on? Is there a good chance of them getting seriously maimed? Does it have the benefit of controlling baby and pet populations like standard danger rooms?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2012, 06:18:18 pm »

This is an interesting idea, I have some questions, though.

Does this work? Do they actually parry/block/dodge the spears or spikes they fall on? Is there a good chance of them getting seriously maimed? Does it have the benefit of controlling baby and pet populations like standard danger rooms?

1. Yes
2. No/Yes, armour blocks work.
3. Yes, depending at what you put in the bottom.
4. Yep

Kofthefens

• Bay Watcher
  • Keep calm and OH GOD CAPYBARAS
    • View Profile
    • Marshland Games
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2012, 06:21:32 pm »

Longer version of what Loud Whispers said. (I typed this, only to find Loud Whisper's reply)

It works quite well. The training comes not from spears they fall on, but the spears they dodge (like in standard danger rooms).
It's really has most of the qualities of a normal danger room, but it allows you to modify the speed and level of danger. For example, if you want it more dangerous, you can make a couple z-level drop. If you want it to take longer to train, you can make a longer path from the bottom to the top.

Hope that answers all your questions.
I don't care about your indigestion-- How are you is a greeting, not a question.

The epic of Îton Sákrith
The Chronicles of HammerBlaze
My website - Free games

NinjaBoot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2012, 01:31:06 am »

Replace training spears with real spears: designate as Nobles room.

Deus Machina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2012, 08:13:51 am »

Actually, I just had another idea for this.

------
|~~~|
|~/~|
|^/^|
--D--

Where - and | are walls, / are the upright spikes, D a door to be locked, ^ are ramps (downward, from this view), and ~ a pit full of water.
All the fun or risking drowning, less hospital time, and more dwarves come out as great soldiers and adequate swimmers.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2012, 08:33:50 am by Deus Machina »
Quote from: KillerClowns
Beneath the slade, there is sheep. By all that his holy, there are so many sheep down there. I don't know why it's sheep.

zilpin

• Bay Watcher
  • 437 forever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2012, 09:36:40 am »

Actually, I just had another idea for this.

------
|~~~|
|~/~|
|^/^|
--D--

Where - and | are walls, / are the upright spikes, D a door to be locked, ^ are ramps (downward, from this view), and ~ a pit full of water.
All the fun or risking drowning, less hospital time, and more dwarves come out as great soldiers and adequate swimmers.

This, I like.
Bucket brigade to get water to depth of 4, and you get great training.
I'm probably going to implement some variation of that in one of my hallways.
(Once a fortress gets large enough, I make most of my hallways into danger rooms.  Keeps the militia ready.)

dwarfhoplite

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentledwarves, prepare for Glory!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2012, 09:49:28 am »

Only danger room i've ever use is a high vertical shaft which forces dorfs dodge the ground.

I don't quite understand the suggestion.

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2012, 10:04:34 am »

If I wanted to have slow danger room I could link it to a slow repeater or with one spear. Exploit is still exploit though.
And they don't trigger traps if stunned, they must be unconscious.
However, this could be useful to force swimming training or to randomly select a dwarf to fight at the arena. Or as a variant of beekeeper logic.
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science