Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Swamback: The Comic Book (Page !!XX Fifteen XX!!)  (Read 13460 times)

dbay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Swamback: The Comic Book (Page !!XX Fifteen XX!!)
« on: November 05, 2011, 05:56:20 pm »

Hey all, I was reading the "Draw your Adventurer" thread and got inspired to do a little doodling myself. Until yesterday, when I started this, I'd never drawn anything beyond a stick figure with any success - so I'm ridiculously proud of this, and felt like sharing.

This all happened in my fortress this week. It's not finished yet - I'll update with more pages when I have time.
Page 1:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Page 2:
Page 3:
Page 4:
Page 5:
Page 6:
Page 7:
Page 8:
Page 9:
Page 10:
Page 11:
Page 12:
Page 13:
Page 14:
Page 15:

Comments, questions, and suggestions are welcome. Let me know if you have trouble making out what's happening or reading the text, I'm still experimenting with the style.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Swamback: The Comic Book
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2011, 05:59:16 pm »

The last page is a little confusing, but I like it.

DrGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2011, 06:02:15 pm »

That was great XD

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2011, 06:05:36 pm »

Yeah, that is really good! The only criticism would be that sometimes it's a bit tough to tell which panel/speech box comes where. Still, great job, especially if it's your first real attempt at art! ;) Looking fowards to seeing McMayor's probable 'accident'.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

dbay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2011, 06:28:51 pm »

Yeah, that is really good! The only criticism would be that sometimes it's a bit tough to tell which panel/speech box comes where. Still, great job, especially if it's your first real attempt at art! ;) Looking fowards to seeing McMayor's probable 'accident'.

Hmm. You're right. The text is almost always under the panel, if it helps

EDIT: added the caption "Urist McMayor works furiously!" to page 4, which should explain what was going on with the hammer scene. What's supposed to be happening on the last page are, in order, 1. Urist has spider silk, so he gets to work. 2. Count is angry because he found out Urist screwed up his chance with his strange mood (which auto-cancels the meeting, sending the diplomat home) so he sends some mooks. 3. Urist continues working on the sock. 4. the mook orders Urist to open up. 5. Urist finishes his sock. 6. Cog is still webbed in the caverns

Also, from here on I'll try to keep the speech clearly in the same panel as the action. Thanks for reading, everyone!

Dave1004

• Bay Watcher
  • This is getting personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2011, 06:48:39 pm »

Dude, that was awesome! Man, I seriously wish I could draw. I love to doodle, but anything past a straight line is a no-go. These were amazing although, please make more! You are one incredible dude :D.

Hardcap of 200 MB/24 hours.

dbay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2011, 06:50:20 pm »

Dude, that was awesome! Man, I seriously wish I could draw. I love to doodle, but anything past a straight line is a no-go. These were awesome although, please make more! You are one awesome dude :D.

Thank you! You just made my day! Also, it was shockingly easy. I used Gimp and used the Ink tool to draw solid colours, then burn/dodge to make it lighter on one end and darker on another, then just made gratuitous use of the blur tool. What I learned is, if you really can't draw something, heavily stylize it.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2011, 07:24:35 pm »

You should definitely make more. They're entertaining and well-drawn. Wish I could make figures that didn't look like they were composed of worms and gelatin (too many squiggles, can't draw straight lines :\)
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

DrGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2011, 07:36:51 pm »

What I learned is, if you really can't draw something, heavily stylize it.

qft; that's the same principle I used to make my forum avatar  :P

ASCIt

• Bay Watcher
  • ._.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2011, 08:25:12 pm »

Cool. I'd surely read more if there were any. And drawing isn't really a matter of "well" or "badly", it's more "would people know what this is supposed to be?" In short, as long as the target audience can understand the point you're trying to convey, it's close enough.
This is a very dorfy thread, and you WILL read it.

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
Re: Swamback: The Comic Book (Page Five)
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2011, 09:07:13 pm »

Loving the art style. Looking forward to further additions.

dbay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2011, 09:09:00 pm »

Question: Can people read the text? I'm considering increasing the resolution of future comics so I can have bigger text, but it'll mean more pixelated dorfs unless I redraw them.

ASCIt

• Bay Watcher
  • ._.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2011, 09:13:27 pm »

I'm not really having trouble, but bigger is always better.
This is a very dorfy thread, and you WILL read it.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4