Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Builing things on ice...  (Read 3033 times)

astaldaran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Builing things on ice...
« on: November 05, 2011, 09:50:16 pm »

So I haven't done a whole lot of ice building ..but according to the wiki for df 2010

"Squares which have had constructions built on them do not unfreeze (bug?)"

I decided to try this so i constructed some walls on top of a frozen lake (I was really interested to see if the "building" would sink into the water intact..pretty sure it wouldn't but wanted to try..was thinking of dropping nobles on exploratory trips into the depths of the ocean....) but what happened was neither what I expected (the walls to come apart and fall to the bottom) nor what the wiki said..instead all the ice melted but the walls simply stayed there..floating.

Anyone else observe this behavior?

I want to go ahead and update the wiki..but maybe I am missing something.  Looking below the walls the water is liquid..and K reveals nothing about being frozen topside or under.

ps: off topic--but what happens if you have a section of ground support by a lever with a building or structure on it and then you drop the section..will the building or structure survive?

dree12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Builing things on ice...
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2011, 09:27:08 pm »

So I haven't done a whole lot of ice building ..but according to the wiki for df 2010

"Squares which have had constructions built on them do not unfreeze (bug?)"

I decided to try this so i constructed some walls on top of a frozen lake (I was really interested to see if the "building" would sink into the water intact..pretty sure it wouldn't but wanted to try..was thinking of dropping nobles on exploratory trips into the depths of the ocean....) but what happened was neither what I expected (the walls to come apart and fall to the bottom) nor what the wiki said..instead all the ice melted but the walls simply stayed there..floating.

Anyone else observe this behavior?

I want to go ahead and update the wiki..but maybe I am missing something.  Looking below the walls the water is liquid..and K reveals nothing about being frozen topside or under.

ps: off topic--but what happens if you have a section of ground support by a lever with a building or structure on it and then you drop the section..will the building or structure survive?
This post gave me deja vu... and sure enough, when I went to the bug tracker, "ice cave-in" was in my search history. Unfortunately, I don't think this bug has been reported. Since you likely have a save, it would be a benefit if you reported an issue with it so we can all look at the issue.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2012, 04:26:53 pm »

Beehives do this, too. They then change from being made out of ice to being made out of...some kind of soil, I think.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2012, 01:47:42 pm »

Floating constructions? This could make for some cool mega-projects. Does do they keep floating if the water is drained?

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2012, 10:38:17 pm »

The buildings don't make ALL the water stay frozen, just the water immediately under the construction.  For that matter, I have to be careful how I phrase that, because if you go down one z-level, that water won't be frozen either.  Instead, under the construction, there is an ice floor.  You can see this if you try to remove a wall from your construction.

I'm not sure if the ice floors will melt ever or not-- it might just be that there's a specific time for thawing, and if they're covered during that time, they have to wait to check again next spring.
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

Sadrice

• Bay Watcher
  • Yertle et al
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2012, 03:05:51 pm »

If you build one of these floating ice structures, but leave it legitimately supported by some sort of link to solid ground, and then sever that support, will it recheck the supportedness status and collapse properly?

ResMar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2012, 08:34:07 pm »

I'm pretty sure that whenever you sever a support the game automatically checks if anything is intact, so no.
ヽ(´ー`)┌[>゜))))彡]   Dwarf Therapist User Guide