Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Technological Mod Plan  (Read 909 times)

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Technological Mod Plan
« on: November 05, 2011, 01:38:53 pm »

So, I've been mulling over an idea for a mod for a few weeks, and I'm going to lay it out here if anyone would like to help me with it. Given the amount of work this would entail, I would almost certainly not be able to complete it on my own.

The basic idea is this: Everything starts essentially as vanilla DF. Every time certain tasks are performed, they have a chance of generating an idea, in the form of an object, which can then be copied. These copies are used to create new workshops dependent on the idea.

What I have planned out so far:

Inkmaker's workshop:
      No Prerequisites
      Create Ink:
             Takes a bucket and charcoal, produces a bucket of ink(In the form of an item, not a bucket with a liquid inside, to avoid the bugs with containers and custom reactions)

Scribe's workshop-
       No Prerequisites
       Copy idea by hand:
             Takes an idea,a bucket of ink, and leather or paper, creates a single copy of that idea, along with a bucket. Has a chance of producing the stamps idea
       Copy idea via stamps:
             Takes a stamp, a bucket of ink, and leather or paper, creates more copies(undecided, perhaps 5?) of that stamp's idea and a bucket

Forge-
       Vanilla
       Create Stamp:
             Takes an idea and metal, creates a stamp of that idea. Has a chance of producing the printing press idea

Mechanic's Workshop-
       Vanilla
       Build Printing Press:
             Takes a large number of stamps(exact # undecided) and a mechanism, creates a printing press

Printing Press-
       Requires 1 printing press
       Copy Manuscript:
              Takes one leather or paper, one idea and one bucket of ink, produces more(# undecided, again) copies than stamping by hand

Papermill-
       No Prerequisites
       Mulch Paper:
              Takes ten logs, produces one unit of paper

Alchemist's Workshop-
       No Prerequisites
       Attempt to Transmute Lead:
              Takes lead bar and charcoal, has a chance of discovering lead glass
       Experiment:
               Takes various stones, and charcoal, has a chance of producing ideas for black powder and arsenic

Lead Glass Furnace-
        requires lead glass idea
        Create Lead Crystal ______(A copy of each crystal glass reaction):
                Takes one sand, one lead, and one fuel(if not magma powered), creates crystal glass item

Alchemical Forge-
         requires arsenic idea or blackpowder idea
         Create Arsenic:
               Takes one orpiment or realgar, creates an ingot of arsenic
         Create Black Powder:
               Takes one charcoal, one saltpeter, and one brimstone, creates a unit of black powder. chance of explosion. Has a chance of producing the arquebus idea.

Bomb-
         requires black powder idea, one black powder
         Detonate:
                uses nothing, creates large explosion. workshop is destroyed in the process. Has a chance of producing the arquebus idea.

Gunsmith's shop-
         requires arquebus idea
         Create Arquebus-
              Takes steel, produces one arquebus
         Prepare Ammunition
              Takes one lead, one unit of black powder, outputs 50 bullets.

Now, this isn't complete, but as you might be able to tell from the quality of the format, I'm tired, so I'll finish typing this out later.

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile
Re: Technological Mod Plan
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2011, 02:48:12 pm »

Ooh, sounds intresting.

Dalkar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2011, 02:52:15 pm »

Sure does. Especially the bomb part :P

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2011, 06:53:56 pm »

Suicide builders? Easy noble disposal entertainment? Sounds like fun!
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Dalkar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2011, 07:02:27 pm »

It appears that UristMcBaron has had an unfortunate accident involving a bomb, a cat and a giant cave spider. Such a shame.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2011, 06:38:41 am »

Getting the bomb to self-destruct will be...difficult.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2011, 11:36:59 am »

I intend to give blackpowder a low burning temp, and make the bomb building out of it. Then create a material with a high fixed temp in the workshop.

Anyway, I've decided to just take this all the way and make a civilization-scale tech tree. I'll post it when I'm done planning it out.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2011, 11:38:38 am by Eagle_eye »