Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Re: Let's Play Acii Sector: Chapter Three, A Dangerous Profession  (Read 3768 times)

Cicero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So I've decided to do an LP of the game Ascii Sector. A freeform, space exploration game in the style of Privateer or Escape Velocity, Ascii Sector is totally free and available on Windows, Mac and Linux.

Now that that crap is out of the way, down to business! Pick a first name, last name, sex and basic character for our space captain! Our hero starts on a small farming planet called Basin, just for a bit of backstory.

I'll be doing this LP in a sort of Choose Your Own Adventure style in which I outline the paths our hero can take and then do whichever one has popular support.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2011, 03:50:52 pm by Cicero »

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
Re: Let's Play Acii Sector: Chapter Zero, The Naming
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2011, 12:18:32 am »

Urist McSpacey?

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2011, 10:50:02 am »

Captain Urist McPilot
Female
Ax crazy dwarven pilot, bent on dominating the universe.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2011, 10:51:44 am »

Captian McUrist.
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2011, 11:02:54 am »

Ulbar Axebeard - Proficient Space Pilot and Dabbling Explorer!

Cicero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play Acii Sector: Chapter One, Life on Basin
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2011, 04:22:07 pm »

Chapter One: Life on Basin

Growing up on Basin is not exactly the dream childhood. While a peaceful planet, Basin is pretty backwater. Ulbar often had to miss school to help out on the farm, when it was planting or harvest season. To many children this would have been a blessing but not to Ulbar. He had plans.

He was not going to work the plot of land worked by his father and his father's father. He was not going to work on one planet among the many. He was going to get into space, explore, make a name for himself. Unlike his father, he would be remembered. However his father made it very clear to him that there was no way out. He would not pay for his son to go off on some foolish adventure. Ulbar's options were farm or starve.

Many years passed with him patiently assisting his father on the farm. Bored and restless, they melded together in the endless repetition of planting and harvest, planting and harvest. Then his father suddenly grew sick and died. On his death bed he implored his son to stay on the farm, not let it out of the family. Unable to deny his father's dying request he agreed.

The relatives all arrived for the funeral. Most took Ulbar's unhappiness to be due to his father's death but his uncle knew better. He had always sensed Ulbar's restlessness but never knew how to help. Now he finally knew how.

After the funeral was over he called Ulbar over to talk in private. He offered to trade a small starship that he won by raffle for the farm. That way it would stay within the family but Ulbar would be free to live his life. He instantly agreed.

A week later Ulbar had reached Cromswell's Point, the main spaceport of Basin. Legend says it's where the first ship to land on Basin landed but the information had been lost over time. Ulbar wasn't thinking about that though. He was much more aware of the fact that only had 3500 credits to his name. While this was a pretty good fund he knew that it wouldn't last long. He had a few choices at present to gain some cash...

1) Buy some food, fly to the nearby mining planet of Hooper's Hoop and sell it for a profit.
2) Spend some on upgrading the ship and start doing odd jobs for the fixers in the bar.
3) Go to the local gun store and go on a shooting spree, escaping into space with whatever money that he can manage to grab off of the corpses.

Which should he do?

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2011, 04:26:15 pm »

Clearly we should buy some food, and maybe a little booze, and fly to that mining planet. They're sure to appreciate the food, and they'll REALLY appreciate the booze! Play it safe Ulbar, and you'll go far!

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2011, 04:38:36 pm »

As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2011, 04:43:14 pm »

Either way we should retain 500 space bucks for fuel and space whores assorted expenses.

Cicero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2011, 04:48:31 pm »

Alright, playing the update now. Thanks for the quick response!

Cicero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play Acii Sector: Chapter Two: Hooper's Hope
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2011, 07:06:43 pm »

Chapter Two: Hooper's Hope

Overcoming his demons, Ulbar decides to run some goods to the nearby planet of Hooper's Hope. He enters the Exchange and starts up the computer.

When he places his palm on the screen it springs to life, spewing out complicated statistics about the system's economy.

After about an hour of sifting through statistics, Ulbar decides that the most profitable option is to load up on grain. Filling the hold takes slightly over half of his money. But he know he's not worried, knowing that it's a good investment.

He checks the hold of the ship, making sure that it's been loaded up right. It's full of grain in multicoloured crates.

I looked into the different rooms of my new ship. I had a locker to store equipment and a sleeping quarters that I could berth a passenger in, if I could find one. Lastly there's the cockpit...

He sits down and stares at the controls. He doesn't believe he's really here in the seat that he's sat in so often in his dreams. Then he snaps back to reality and prepares the ship for take-off.

The ship shakily lifts off of the ground and up through the atmosphere. Ulbar lets out an exhilarated cry as he feels the acceleration. When he reaches space he hears the artificial gravity machine spin to life. He did it. He's off of Basin. He never has to visit the tilled earth of the farm ever again. He leans back in his chair with a satisfied sigh and sets the autopilot.

A few hours later he was at the jump portal. He had read about them and they taught him a bit of the theory behind them in school but he remembered nothing. He hoped that nothing went wrong as he pressed the jump button...

WHOOSH! There was a flash of light and he felt as if his whole body was split into a million pieces. It didn't hurt so much as it just felt as if his whole body had pins and needles. This sensation could have lasted less than a second or it could have lasted a century. In the place that his mind went time had no meaning. Then suddenly life started again, the only difference being that he was several light years away. He shook his head and wondered how people could ever get used to that.

As he approached Hooper's Hope, Ulbar was shocked by how desolate it looked. For the first time in his life he felt lucky to have grown up on Basin.

The first thing that struck him upon exiting his ship was the harshness of the air. The atmosphere had a metallic tinge to it. It felt as if he was breathing out of a tincan. Then he noticed the people there. They looked depressed and sickly. I guess that's what comes from a life in the tunnels. He walked to the Exchange, feeling rather depressed. This planet made him homesick for Basin, something he thought he'd never feel.

However he cheered up a bit when he sold the grain. Almost 500 credits of profit? After only about a day's work? Back on Basin they made 500 credits a year! But it was clear that to him that he needed to make a lot more to make a name for himself. He had a couple of choices...

1) Start a trade route and ferry cargo back and forth until he has enough to join the Merchant's Guild and can take the high-end contracts.
2) Become a drifter, carrying random cargo to the far reaches of the system, taking work when it can be found.

3) Become a criminal of opportunity, mugging people when they're alone and then quickly getting off-world with both their money and some legally purchased cargo to be sold on the next victim world.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2011, 07:55:42 pm »

Slow and steady Ulbar. If we ensure a steady supply of food to Hooper's Hoop we will improve these people's lives and make a tidy profit. When we are able to buy our way into the guild we can start doing something fancy or taking risks. For now:

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2011, 07:57:38 pm »

Because just delivering stuff isn't fun.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2011, 08:04:11 pm »

Delivering things is fun enough, but we didn't abandon a farm just to join some guild. No trader ever got a capital renamed after him. I say let's kill some people- 3.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2011, 08:49:44 pm »

Delivering things is fun enough, but we didn't abandon a farm just to join some guild. No trader ever got a capital renamed after him. I say let's kill some people- 3.

After all, lots of capitals are named after serial murders.

Go with 1. Sure it'll be slow, but a steady source of income never hurt anybody.
Pages: [1] 2 3