Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How should Mego do his updates?

Text and images. Old school is better.
- 23 (82.1%)
Live stream and video. Newfangled technology must be applied to everything!
- 5 (17.9%)

Total Members Voted: 28

Voting closed: January 19, 2012, 06:50:05 pm

Pages: 1 ... 112 113 [114] 115 116 ... 208

Author Topic: Hellcannon (Succession: Battlefailed 3) (0.31.25) (DEAD)  (Read 796303 times)

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
Re: Hellcannon (Succession: Battlefailed 3)
« Reply #1695 on: February 16, 2012, 05:14:11 pm »

I'll be starting my run within a day or so. Today I'm busy with a college assignment, but tomorrow night should be free.

My first order of business will be to PULL ALL THE LEVERS!
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 05:16:49 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #1696 on: February 16, 2012, 05:24:25 pm »

Was that one of the military squads?  I know there were only thirteen dwarves total in the military when I started, but I didn't pay attention to the specifics.

Last I played, there was only one military squad, the one led by the Captain of the Guard. They handled pretty much everything, I left the "actual" militia squad creation to other people, just put up a wish that dorfs on the squad would be ones who worship Lûk. If anyone wants to just hire people at random to that squad, that's cool too. We can't be too picky, right?

Especially with migrant waves that keep getting ganked before they get inside.

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1697 on: February 16, 2012, 06:06:25 pm »

I'll be starting my run within a day or so. Today I'm busy with a college assignment, but tomorrow night should be free.

My first order of business will be to PULL ALL THE LEVERS!

I wish you luck on your endeavor, friend.  Everyone will die, but that's probably the point.
Quote from: franti
"Let's expose our military to zombie-dust so they can't feel pain. They don't NEED skin."
Quote from: Ipwnurmom221
One FB post. Many dick jokes. Pokemon. !!VOLCANO!!. Dwarven mood thingee. Derailment itself. Girlinhat's hat. Cuba. Karl Marx. This is why i love Bay12 forums.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

Mego

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:MADNESS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1698 on: February 16, 2012, 08:41:40 pm »

So, I'm unable to find information about if the new release is compatible with old saves or not. If I am hopelessly unable to read (which is likely), could someone clarify for me? We need a game plan if it's not.

Archereon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1699 on: February 16, 2012, 09:17:47 pm »

I'm pretty sure it's not. New world for BFIV?

I want to tell you they were bad men, cephalo.  I want to tell you that with a better overseer the Fortress never would've gotten so bad someone would get offed in a pointless fisticuffs.
But the sad truth charlie?
It was inevitable.

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1700 on: February 16, 2012, 09:46:38 pm »

Yes.  But that's not relevant right now.  Hellcannon is still going strong, and will continue to do so right up until Eric Blank starts pulling those levers.
"Let's expose our military to zombie-dust so they can't feel pain. They don't NEED skin."
One FB post. Many dick jokes. Pokemon. !!VOLCANO!!. Dwarven mood thingee. Derailment itself. Girlinhat's hat. Cuba. Karl Marx. This is why i love Bay12 forums.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #1701 on: February 16, 2012, 11:40:52 pm »

BFIV: This time, the world generation goes as planned.

Looking at the save now, I have a couple questions;

Why does The Master have two dwarves? Should one be removed?
Do we have a danger room to train our dwarves, and if so, where is it?
Mego; have you kept the dorfing list up to date? There's plenty of daft fools to go around.
Gizogin; why does your magma pump stack end in the second cavern layer area facing the open fortress?
Is that supposed to be one of your fortress-ending traps? Real cunning.

Very useful that I could potentially take it all the way to the surface from there, though. It would perhaps require more power, but that should be easy enough. We have a perfectly good aquifer to tke advantage of, after all.

This is going to be an eventful year. I already have !!PLANS!! that will go far beyond the pulling of a few levers or damnation of a ☼fortress☼ for your dreams of continuing to the next generation of !!EVIL FUN!! The next guy can do that. Hellcannon is in much better chape than Failcannon was when I inherited it. Failcannon was already doomed by that point, and years before. After the last loyalty cascade there was nothing to be done to save it from inevitable doom. But here? Here I have much to do.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1702 on: February 17, 2012, 12:01:45 am »

So in three months we're up to our fourteenth overseer. Assuming this trend continues (and Hellcannon survives to see 2013) I'll get a go of the fort in early November '12. :D

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #1703 on: February 17, 2012, 12:53:29 am »

I fired up the save and found all three traps.  One started a fire in a cavern, another dropped a section of cavern on what I THINK was a farm, and the third started flooding the fortress.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #1704 on: February 17, 2012, 01:15:28 am »

...Well that's not very dramatic or particularly threatening, assuming you do anything at all to prevent it.

I'm guessing it ended up kinda like the Strategic Ghost Emittor: looks good on paper, but not nearly as effective in reality.
I make Spellcrafts!

Mego

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:MADNESS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1705 on: February 17, 2012, 08:13:35 am »

I kept the dorfing list up to date during my turn, but new requests since then have not been added. Tomorrow has been officially christened "Mego Doing Shit That He Should Have Done A Long Time Ago Day".

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1706 on: February 17, 2012, 10:47:20 am »

I fired up the save and found all three traps.  One started a fire in a cavern, another dropped a section of cavern on what I THINK was a farm, and the third started flooding the fortress.

Actually, there should have been two that would flood the fortress, and there were at least two more "traps" that I made, though they're very minor.  The floor-dropping one serves a dual purpose: it not only crushes anything underneath, but it also punches a hole through to the caverns to let in flying beasts (though there's only one right now).
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #1707 on: February 17, 2012, 07:58:42 pm »

Gotta ask though; how did you start the fire in the cavern?  Couldn't see anything that started it off.

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1708 on: February 17, 2012, 09:05:26 pm »

Gotta ask though; how did you start the fire in the cavern?  Couldn't see anything that started it off.
<.<   >.>   v.v   ^.^

I'll never tell.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #1709 on: February 18, 2012, 02:30:14 am »

Alright, play is beginning at a slow, contemplative pace. First update here.

Journal of Erica, Demigod of !!constructs!!

Granite 1st, 211

I won the overseer elections this year, which I should be grateful for after being curb stomped by Gizogin and Ilral both last year. Hopefully this will actually put me in a decent position. Gizogin for instance had me design, smooth, and engrave his own royal quarters and promptly decorate it with our most precious silver furniture, so I should be able to achieve similar feats without drawing any more attention to myself than he did. Luxury lies with nobility, I suppose.

Granite 2nd, 211

Ieb is pestering me about joining Lûk’s Vanguard “to set a good example for the others.” After going over what remains of previous overseers’ notes that Gizogin somehow missed in his grand history-burning spree, which coincidentally included all the notes and labels about the control center he built, I’ve concluded that I’m in way over my head as it is, and having to worry about Lûk or my duties to that guard squadron are the last things I want to add. She’s been trying to artificially boost the squad’s members elsewhere as well, such as producing an artifact trinket that not surprisingly was largely ignored by the populace. Now if she’d made a warhammer…

I contacted Arcangelsd about the control room issue, and even though he and none of his other acquaintances can recall which lever did what, they were able to determine which ones were linked to the specialized defensive measures Gizogin installed. I’ve opted to simply inhibit them all for now until we actually figure this out and restore those labels. It’s unclear what the rest of the levers do, if anything at this point, but we specifically acknowledge 5 defensive systems.

Granite 3rd, 211

We’ve come to an agreement on an agenda for this year:
1)   We need to at least triple the size of our armed forces and ensure they receive swift and effective military training.
2)   We must mine for tin and copper ores to produce more bronze gear for this militia
3)   Design and complete a working trap to level the playing field for the military. If any of the previous leaders had ever wanted to make a statement it should have been “Fuck the undead and conquer the World.”
4)   We will also acquire additional adamantine rations to use in armor and weaponry.
5)   I, arcangelsd, and possibly a few other stoneworkers and engineers will be given more appropriate dorms to reflect our importance to the survival and success of this fortress.
6)   We need to construct additional power supplies and extend the magma pump stack to the surface as a weapons system. We can even couple it with heated aquifer water to produce what we’re calling a glacial devastator for use on invaders.
7)   Abandon whatever the heck was going on with that staggered-wall chamber with the bridges and shit. I’m not even sure what it was supposed to do, but it’s certainly not killing goblins, undead, or any other nasty beasties that are plaguing this world. If someone had actually shared with me and my crew the plans, we sure as hell would have gotten it done on schedule, but no; they wanted us to consult them directly. I firmly believe it has something to do with devine powers and the legend of Aluonra, but those fools insist that’s just a myth.
8)   Reestablish my own prowess in the ethereal sense. The dreams I had since childhood weren’t just dreams, but memories, and possessing this new body after being killed is proof enough for me. I’ve even begun to develop other strange abilities, like terrorizing people by somehow reaching out and making them excruciatingly uncomfortable.
9)   Figure out what the hell those memories actually mean. This tundra is as intimately involved as any other location I can recall, so there’s not much reason to wander off.
10)   Ensure that the fortress and its populace are stable and in good condition before my run as overseer runs out.

Granite 6th

While beginning my first round of designations, I overheard one nobody whining that some other nobody was acting like an elf for refusing to let him butcher a pair of kittens that the second nobody had adopted. I couldn’t help but chuckle. Don’t think they found me very amusing…

I’m beginning to assign the less notable figures to militia squads. They still have nothing going for them, but hopefully I can jumpstart their training and gear acquisition. I’m contemplating using goblin equipment at first, replacing it with bronze, and leaving the next overseer with instructions to purchase a metric crap-ton of flux from the caravans, which I intend to order.

Reudh was complaining about being assigned double duty between all crafting labors and all Stoneworking labors, so I let him slide down to full time stoneworker with the chance to do bone carving on his break time. None of the other stoneworkers besides him and Arcangelsd are permitted to hold any labors besides mining, masonry and detailing, and architecture. Not even health-care labors. I may have to be more lenient in the future, but anyone with stoneworking experience who wants more than a coffin to their name in this fortress will have to settle with full time mining and construction, because it’s going to be a full-time job getting all this together.

The rest of the populace may well end up with military duty, including a lot of time training, so food production especially may slow, which could be dangerous. Some old bureaucrat came to me to proclaim his prowess as a warrior. He was fairly persuasive so I permitted him the chance to lead our third squad, the Strong Tongs. Legendary teacher is about all he’ll be, soon. His squad I might have to keep an eye on, though, because it includes plenty of dwarves with good friends and one or two mothers with children. Disaster waiting to happen… He also has that CatalystParadox in his ranks. Not sure what to think about him, but he may not prove trustworthy in a fight.

Granite 9th

I decided to oust the mayor and claim that title as well, just so I can control what goes on a little better if I’m the one making the mandates.

After designating two full squads of nobodies (and a CatalystParadox) I've almost run out of dorfs. The stoneworker force may actually need a little more laborers, and the entire fortress is actually significantly underdorfed. I may well make getting migrants inside and safely and increasing the population my top priority.
I make Spellcrafts!
Pages: 1 ... 112 113 [114] 115 116 ... 208