Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How should Mego do his updates?

Text and images. Old school is better.
- 23 (82.1%)
Live stream and video. Newfangled technology must be applied to everything!
- 5 (17.9%)

Total Members Voted: 28

Voting closed: January 19, 2012, 06:50:05 pm

Pages: 1 ... 184 185 [186] 187 188 ... 208

Author Topic: Hellcannon (Succession: Battlefailed 3) (0.31.25) (DEAD)  (Read 795634 times)

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
Re: Hellcannon (Succession: Battlefailed 3) (0.31.25)
« Reply #2775 on: July 10, 2012, 06:52:25 pm »

I take that as an insult to our ingenuity at the time of Failcannon's demise.

And I haven't finished preparing the 34.11 world yet! :o
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #2776 on: July 10, 2012, 07:29:00 pm »

I will only accept that this will make Failday look like firecrackers if it manages to crash your computer. Failday only managed to make DF itself crash for me.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Mego

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:MADNESS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2777 on: July 10, 2012, 08:09:27 pm »

I take that as an insult to our ingenuity at the time of Failcannon's demise.

And I haven't finished preparing the 34.11 world yet! :o

Hey guys Eric is running the next thread.

Also the 34.11 world doesn't need to be an exact replica of Aluonra. We could start an entirely new story, loosely based on the events of the first 3. It'd be like Star Wars.

Also oh shit I was supposed to be making this fort tie back to Battlefailed and Failcannon. Oh well. The canon story now is that rifts were opening between Hellcannon and That Other Aluonra, until it got so chaotic that the fortress itself became alive and absorbed the souls of the dead dwarves to fight off the corruption. Eventually, my dwarf was the last one alive, and willingly sacrificed himself so that the rifts could be healed and a massive reset could happen. Free of the influence of the original Aluonra, shit got silly, as always.

Oh, and this thread will now be abandoned for three hours. Muahahahahaha.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2778 on: July 10, 2012, 08:36:14 pm »

How about this story then:

Before Failday kicked in, the original 7 (us) were sent to found a third fort near the other two by QueenLed, probably so she could send more dwarfs to their deaths faster. Then Mego, with his awesome navigational skills, managed to get us to a cursed tundra, where the wagon broke. So was founded Hellcannon, capital of the middle of nowhere.

The first migrants were more exiles that Led sent after us without giving many instructions, so they had to follow our tracks. Fort business then proceeded as normal, until Strategia came to power.

At the very end of his term he fused with the fortress in order to fight The Foul One. This had the side-effect of trapping all the souls of the dead in Hellcannon, for the fort, now sentient, had to sustain itself on the aethereal energies of the spirits. During the rule of The Master, when all in the fortress died, it kept going as it, as already stated previously, became sentient not long before.

Not long after this incident, Failday happened. Reality itself went insane as Failcannon and Andreus, both two of the few anchors left keeping the Seal intact, were both anihilated. Little record remains of The Master's year, for time itself wasn't really acting like it should. The Seal quickly decayed afterwards, letting more and more horrors into the world. Not only bogeymen and night creatures infected the world anymore.

With Ura's death, there was no longer a god of death, and her secrets were spread far and wide. Soon, mortals would learn how to master life and death. Legions of corpses would shamble across the land, while vampires and werecreatures stalked the land. The whole world was being ravaged by the forces of darkness. Hellcannon was one of the few bastions of stability in the land, thanks to Strategia's shield. The migrants that arrived were no longer exiles, but refugees from a broken world.

From among those, Strategia, the fortress-spirit, chose Kar Puwuncobi to be his champion, to fight against The Foul One should the worst happen. Every time the presidente died, the fort would force his spirit back into his corpse, providing Hellcannon with an unrelenting, undying protector.

Meanwhile, the "Immortals", the spirits of all who once ruled the fortress, forever doomed to wander the halls of the fortress in stolen bodies, plotted to open a passage to the underworld, in order to exploit their newfound immortality with the intent to rule hell itself while escaping the fortress' draining grasp. Foremost among them was the one called That Aussie Dwarf, who dreamt of using the power of billions of enslaved demons to reshape the world, then assume complete control over everything.

The demons, seeing their home breached, fought back, for they wanted none of the horrors that plagued the overworld infecting their realm. Although they mercilessly butchered any that dared to stray too close to the breach, they refused to go any further upwards, instead seeking to re-seal the breached godmetal tubes.

Hellcannon is the world's last bastion against The Foul One, and the fate of the world hangs in the balance as a maniacal overseer pulls all the levers. All of them.

Oh, wow, did I just type all that?

Also, I approve of the idea of prequels for the next forts.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 09:24:32 pm by Deathsword »
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2779 on: July 10, 2012, 08:38:15 pm »

Hey guys Eric is running the next thread.

/life.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2780 on: July 10, 2012, 08:42:02 pm »

I could run the next thread. It's not like I don't stay all day sitting in a chair in front of this PC.

Mego

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2781 on: July 10, 2012, 08:55:25 pm »

Use this:

Code: [Select]
[abbr=whatever]text[/abbr]
Also, Deathsword, your version of reality leaves out BOTH of my epic writings. I am most unhappy.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2782 on: July 10, 2012, 09:00:29 pm »

The first one is in, but your hard-reset was left out since, after all, you destroyed all the evidence.

I can't really include the second one since we have no idea what will happen next. I'll try to find a way to fit it in.

Also, the above post is going to be a tv-tropes link-fest, if you would prefer that it remained link-free, please say so. Seeing it right now, it seems like a bad idea. Might also exceed character limit. Will keep to abbr.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 09:06:02 pm by Deathsword »

EmeraldWind

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey there, dollface...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2783 on: July 10, 2012, 09:06:39 pm »

You've done all this stuff, and you haven't said anything about how you've done it...
I wanted to keep some secrecy, and there wasn't anything interesting happening apart from my constructs. But long story short, I jury-rigged several deathtraps (more) to the Hall of Spite, and I'm planning of setting them off tonight. Sorry, EmeralWind, you'll hate me, once you get some way of getting rid of the water that may or may not be laced with FB secretions.

:'(
This should be an interesting introduction into the world of succession forts for me. At this point, I have no idea if I will be playing so much as watching the end unfold despite my attempts to quell the destruction. I have recently learned though that DF is a game of perpetual losing. There is no winning DF, just failing with style. The more you fail, the more FUN you have. The more you try to fight the FUN, the more you will fail.

If FUN should find me before I break, I pray to Armok my soul to take!
We do not suffer from insanity. We enjoy every single bit of it.

Mego

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2784 on: July 10, 2012, 09:42:04 pm »

If FUN should find me before I break, I pray to Armok my soul to take!

I found us a motto!

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2785 on: July 10, 2012, 09:59:18 pm »

I don't think you want Armok having your soul...

Anyway, I've got the world data set up for generation, now i need to brainstorm the RAW data.

So, here's waht I've got so far

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

So, as you can see, I need a list of all the important historical figures to convert to descriptor shapes or whatnot. I can come up with more off the top of my head, but making a list keeps things organized.

It's also important to consider what other modifications we want to include. Obviously the fortress mode gameplay should be almost purely vanilla with almost zero modification, but I was thinking of making roving bands of steam-based "ghosts" or "phantoms" to haunt evil biomes and the caverns. Because that would be cool, or so I thought :P

I make Spellcrafts!

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2786 on: July 10, 2012, 10:08:11 pm »

I vote to remove/reduce animal-men. Because we need skelks in the next fort, obviously.

As for descriptor shapes: I'd say all characters important to the meta-plot (TAD included) and all overseers.

Mego

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2787 on: July 10, 2012, 10:23:31 pm »

I vote to remove/reduce animal-men. Because we need skelks in the next fort, obviously.

As for descriptor shapes: I'd say all characters important to the meta-plot (TAD included) and all overseers.

So we shall become as gods? That wouldn't exactly fit as a prequel. That is, unless we did something silly like having a character write a story about us that causes the story to happen in the future. Although, I like the idea as a sequel in the future. Kinda like how I started Hellcannon, where Battlefailed and Failcannon were just myths.

Still, I vote for prequel. Just because it hasn't been done yet with a succession fort series.

As for other mods, we could pay homage to one of the greatest succession games ever and mod in
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2788 on: July 10, 2012, 10:28:06 pm »

Prequel? Screw Prequels. Too much effort.

We can definitely reduce the animalman populations to mroe specific conditions, such that they won't show up in a terrifying biome.

And what are THEY
I make Spellcrafts!

Mego

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2789 on: July 10, 2012, 11:05:09 pm »

Prequel? Screw Prequels. Too much effort.

We can definitely reduce the animalman populations to mroe specific conditions, such that they won't show up in a terrifying biome.

And what are THEY

YOU HAVE NEVER HEARD OF HEADSHOOTS?
Pages: 1 ... 184 185 [186] 187 188 ... 208