Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How should Mego do his updates?

Text and images. Old school is better.
- 23 (82.1%)
Live stream and video. Newfangled technology must be applied to everything!
- 5 (17.9%)

Total Members Voted: 28

Voting closed: January 19, 2012, 06:50:05 pm

Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 208

Author Topic: Hellcannon (Succession: Battlefailed 3) (0.31.25) (DEAD)  (Read 794003 times)

PhantomXD

• Bay Watcher
  • Digging designation cancelled: warm stone located
    • View Profile
Re: Hellcannon (Succession: Battlefailed 3)
« Reply #315 on: November 21, 2011, 01:17:02 am »

I would like a dwarf, please.

For dorfing:
Phantom - Any squad member - "Meat Shield"

This is interesting. I wonder how long it will be before wildlife eats me.  :)
Ironhand's Graphics Set

Bottom line is, the wiki is your friend, and error is your teacher.

Strategia

• Bay Watcher
  • Cheese is essential to any successful fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: November 21, 2011, 01:44:41 am »

Granite 24th 205. Hail hail, the troll's dead. And the gap in the wall has been repaired. Unfortunately, the minion who did this, EmeraldWind, and her infant, Remalle, decided to build the wall from the outside. Normally, I'd tear down the wall to let them in so I could make an example of the mother for being stupid and give the child reason to resist my rule when it grows up, but it looks like a skeletal troll has caught their scent (or however it is skeletons hunt). So unfortunately I won't be able to berate this woman for her stupidity, before having her tossed over the topside wall. Oh well. On a more positive note, I sketched out some plans for modular living space on the main level:

As you can see, it's quite generous, but then again evil overlords who don't provide at least
some amenities for their minions tend to get murdered in their sleep. The trick is to give them just enough comfort to make them thankful, and scaring the everloving Urist out of them everywhere else. The larger spaces are designated to be offices for administrators and the like, can't run a proper empire without one!

Granite 24th. EmeraldWind managed to outrun the skeletroll around the cavern wall, and lost it. I'm allowing her to remove a section of the wall so she can return home. She will be punished, somehow, but her quick thinking has earned her her life. I may decide to simply draft her as a wrestler when she returns instead of tossing her out into the snow. I have also begun construction of a layer of fortifications on top of the cavern walls, so we don't get any uninvited guests climbing or flying over, and any future marksdwarves will be able to shoot at anything that approaches.

OOC - Yes, I know, it's not the most efficient layout, and it's more space than any dorf really needs. However, it's very modular and has enough rooms to house the current fortress population and several immigrant waves (or at least, their survivors). I haven't begun digging yet, Dariush is busy with some exploratory tunnels below the first cavern layer (although so far all we've struck is diorite, diorite, orthoclase, amethyst, and diorite) and we don't have the furniture at this point anyway. Still, any future ruler who needs the space (if only for the spacious offices) need only designate a few tiles and everything will be set.

I wonder how long it will be before wildlife eats me.  :)

That depends. Do you want topside patrol duty or cavern exploration duty? =P

CatalystParadox

• Bay Watcher
  • hi ho, hi ho...
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: November 21, 2011, 04:05:11 am »

As an extremely late follow up to the rambling conversation on needlessly complex and dorfy weaponry... I saw an idea for a device to kill invaders with a magma-powered molten zinc GAS chamber a while back that I'd love to try to implement.
My proud turn in Failcannon | Uzolnom - "Oiledgod"

Quote from: Mego
I opened up the Unread Replies page and saw that you were the last poster. I got scared. Something about you posting scares me, ever since Failcannon.

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: November 21, 2011, 05:51:11 am »

Looking at the layout plans for housing brings up to things two my mind.

First is that in the mind of a seasoned veteran of DF, this is an okay solution for housing all the dwarves and later on, once proper rooms are ready to be dug within stone, this whole area can be converted into a massive treefarm, saving us the trouble of ever again having to brave the depths!

Second is that I wonder how many years will the entire population be forced to live on this soil-layer, when the ones planned within stone inevitably end up flooded, either with magma or water, or housing some forgotten monstrosity or a whole bunch of skeletal horrors or something.

I'm betting on 12.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: November 21, 2011, 06:15:50 am »

How's Reudh fairing? Personality wise, recent happenings, if I could see them... Would be tremenjous.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: November 21, 2011, 07:44:22 am »

First is that in the mind of a seasoned veteran of DF, this is an okay solution for housing all the dwarves and later on, once proper rooms are ready to be dug within stone, this whole area can be converted into a massive treefarm, saving us the trouble of ever again having to brave the depths!

Second is that I wonder how many years will the entire population be forced to live on this soil-layer, when the ones planned within stone inevitably end up flooded, either with magma or water, or housing some forgotten monstrosity or a whole bunch of skeletal horrors or something.

I'm betting on 12.

That's just wrong.  I'm betting inside of five years.  We're right about at the point that someone will have an ego moment and either start a colossal engineering project that's poorly designed and will leak water/magma everywhere they don't want it to go when activated, or accidentally flood the place.

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: November 21, 2011, 08:11:27 am »

Judging from previous moments of hubris on these Fail forts, I also estimated that the project following whatever ruined previous expansion attempts will fail even more horribly and make matters worse, adding up to the years that dorfs need to spend on the soil layer.

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: November 21, 2011, 08:44:59 am »

Strategia have you re-dorfed me a Ogrin II?
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

Mego

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:MADNESS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: November 21, 2011, 12:56:36 pm »

I'm betting on 12.

12 because that's how many years will have passed between now and the end of Eric Blank's turn?

Mekboy

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEGABEAST_EATER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: November 21, 2011, 02:10:14 pm »

Okay, seeing as the original Mekboy got killed, can I be redorfed?

Name: Mekboy
Profession: Medical dwarf
Custom job title: Not a body snatching mad scientist.
Quote from: CatalystParadox
Aw, Mekboy! A song for meeeee?
You're so sweet.  Why don't you just come in here so I can give you a hug.
... bring my pants.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
You seem to be under the illusion that we give a shit about what happens to dwarves who are too dumb to live.

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: November 21, 2011, 03:47:27 pm »

Journal of Gizogin, Rawmancer of the Highest Order (deceased):

I've been trying to get into contact with some of the many wizards and necromancers in Hellcannon, but they seem to be ignoring me.  Why will nobody pay me any attention?  I have many brilliant ideas to share with the world!
Seriously, I'm beginning to think that the only path available to me is to try and inhabit another dwarf's body.

(OOC:  why haven't I been redorfed yet?)
Quote from: franti
"Let's expose our military to zombie-dust so they can't feel pain. They don't NEED skin."
Quote from: Ipwnurmom221
One FB post. Many dick jokes. Pokemon. !!VOLCANO!!. Dwarven mood thingee. Derailment itself. Girlinhat's hat. Cuba. Karl Marx. This is why i love Bay12 forums.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

Mego

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: November 21, 2011, 05:06:28 pm »

Okay, seeing as the original Mekboy got killed, can I be redorfed?

Name: Mekboy
Profession: Medical dwarf
Custom job title: Not a body snatching mad scientist.

*glares at Mekboy and refers him to the proper request format*

Strategia

• Bay Watcher
  • Cheese is essential to any successful fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: November 21, 2011, 06:19:45 pm »

Slate 2nd, 205. Been a while since the last time I wrote on this wall in this journal, things have been a bit hectic. Two more volunteers, reteip9 and Phantom, have joined my military, and some fellow by the name of Urist Imiknorris has taken up the position of Sherriff, undoubtedly he wishes to become my loyal right-hand dorf. Unfortunately, he apparently lacks the facilities his job requires. Bah. Fortification of the cavern outpost proceeds apace, and no new threats have been spotted in the immediate vicinity. It looks like even the undead feel the chill of winter in their bones. (Which I imagine is the only way they can still feel anything at all, really.) One of Dariush's exploratory digs has uncovered a second layer of caverns, which have been sealed off immediately to prevent any..... incursions.

The cavern appears to be rich in tetrahedrite, garnierite and underground flora, but is thankfully almost devoid of fauna. I am thinking of sending an expedition down to secure these caverns like we did the ones above, so that we can begin smelting our own metals, even if it is only copper and nickel. The cavern also contains several veins of cobaltite, which arcangelsd, the resident scientist, would like to experiment with. His excited babbling was hard to follow, but it seems like he wants to pile up some cobaltite and pitchblende in a confined space, then smash it with a drawbridge. I might indulge him just for the amusement value, provided we find some pitchblende. If we do, I'll have the device built in the main hall - watching someone fail in front of everyone he knows is so satisfying, and reinforces their loyalty, and if it succeeds the rest of the workforce will be intimidated by its power. My militia commander mumbled something about a "zen at Osgam bit", no idea what that means.

OOC - I dorfed reteip and Phantom, since their requirements were simply "military", and Meat Shield fits the "evil overlord" theme I'm trying to build. reteip is there so he can get his skull caved in by the next skeletroll that comes along. None of the other nameless dorfs fit the criteria of the dorfing list. Yes, that means I have not yet redorfed Ogrin, Mekboy and Gizogin, despite your status as long-time members of the Failtrilogy. All we have left are, I think, an herbalist, a stoneworker and a herd of children. Hopefully we'll get some good survivors once immigrants start arriving.

How's Reudh fairing? Personality wise, recent happenings, if I could see them... Would be tremenjous.

Sorry for the wide image, when I tried to resize the screen the text overflowed (or shrank to the point of illegibility) instead of word-wrapping.

Mego

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: November 21, 2011, 06:22:46 pm »

Spoiler tags work well for super-wide images.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: November 21, 2011, 06:26:11 pm »

It's not that bad though. At least the post doesn't scroll sideways.
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 208