Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How should Mego do his updates?

Text and images. Old school is better.
- 23 (82.1%)
Live stream and video. Newfangled technology must be applied to everything!
- 5 (17.9%)

Total Members Voted: 28

Voting closed: January 19, 2012, 06:50:05 pm

Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 208

Author Topic: Hellcannon (Succession: Battlefailed 3) (0.31.25) (DEAD)  (Read 797893 times)

PhantomXD

• Bay Watcher
  • Digging designation cancelled: warm stone located
    • View Profile
Re: Hellcannon (Succession: Battlefailed 3)
« Reply #420 on: November 23, 2011, 07:32:05 pm »

One of the skelks bites Phantom in the hand and shakes it viciously, tearing it to shreds. Phantom dies like many others, getting bowled over and kicked in the head.

Sounds about right. Any chance of a reincarnation (Phantom II - any random squaddie - Resident Coward).
Ironhand's Graphics Set

Bottom line is, the wiki is your friend, and error is your teacher.

Strategia

• Bay Watcher
  • Cheese is essential to any successful fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: November 23, 2011, 07:41:07 pm »

How many are left? And since Thor was not mentioned I shall assume he is somewhat okay.

There's 38 left I think, which means we lost a full 30%+ of the population. Thor is fine, he was never drafte- I mean, he never volunteered. Apart from three dorfs (Gamemaster, Grov and someone else I can't remember), the entire 16-dorf military was wiped out, so that accounts for about half the casualties. I fear Gamemaster may still die, since he's incapable of moving unless there's a Skeletal Blind Cave Ogre standing over him, and there's no hospital yet. I may repurpose one of the dormitories, especially when I start digging out the new housing.

A note to future overseers: there's still some goods lying near the dead elven merchant to the southeast of the perimeter, as well as the clothes and equipment of everyone who died topside (I claimed the stuff of all subterranean casualties). If the skwildlife buggers off, I may try getting some of it back during my tenure, otherwise you'll have to do it (perhaps). I'm pretty sure there's at least a +steel spear+ somewhere there, and random assorted miscellaneous weapons and armour. There is a trade depot topside, but you'll have to deconstruct part of the northern wall to let traders (and migrants) in. I used orthoclase to repair the wall there for easy reference, and there's fortifications in case anyone gets a marksdwarf squad up.

Also, barring any future cascade catastrophes like this one, I should be able to leave the fortress with reasonably secure outposts in the second and third cavern layer, and a decent metal production cycle, capable of at least smelting galena and probably producing small quantities of bronze. The fungus-trees in the caverns are giving me a good supply of wood, but I'll probably be using a lot of it myself making beds when the housing section opens up.

Aaaaand I forgot to upload the screenshot I took just a frame before the militia started attacking the muskskoxen. I may have lost a few good dorfs to them, but they all went down in the end - good to know for future reference. I even managed to take out 4 of the 5 skelks of the first group that attacked, although by that time I'd lost half the militia and a second group was already approaching.

One of the skelks bites Phantom in the hand and shakes it viciously, tearing it to shreds. Phantom dies like many others, getting bowled over and kicked in the head.

Sounds about right. Any chance of a reincarnation (Phantom II - any random squaddie - Resident Coward).

I'll start picking up the pieces tomorrow, and that includes trying to rebuild at least some semblance of a military. I'll redorf you and anyone on the permadorf list then.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2011, 07:43:17 pm by Strategia »

IcepickTrotsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: November 23, 2011, 08:00:11 pm »

Vursa doesn't mention in your writeup, there. Did she somehow survive this tragedy?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: November 23, 2011, 08:02:07 pm »

On another note, I think one aspect of the original Aluonra was overlooked in genning this world - namely, the low threshold for titans, megabeasts, FBs and such. Battlefailed and Failcannon got these when they had a population of ~30 I think, Hellcannon currently has over 60 inhabitants and the greatest threats are the skanimals that lurk in the caverns.

For the last time; the generation parameters were identical in every way to what I exported from the Aluonra save, except for the additions of new tags that didn't exist when it was generated and terrain data based on a map, so it got eroded a second time. Future, damnit!

If there hasn't been a good megabeast/titan/FB, it's because you've all been playing with invasions off, aren't making a compelling target for them, or are composed of goodbad-luck-stone and un-fun-metal.

And why didn't anyone have the patience to await the additionfinalization of the list of the reactions and other modifications desired by the group, anyway? This is all a mistake I tell you! ONE THAT YOU WILL REGRET!

Glad to see my dorf is tantrumming as much as I am.
Eric Blank has gone stark raving mad!

Do we have any prisons set up by any chance? in the middle of the food stockpile? It sounds like they'll be needed...
« Last Edit: November 23, 2011, 08:07:49 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Strategia

• Bay Watcher
  • Cheese is essential to any successful fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: November 23, 2011, 08:17:50 pm »

Vursa doesn't mention in your writeup, there. Did she somehow survive this tragedy?

Any named dorf that isn't mentioned as being maimed or killed survived, most likely panicking and going back up/down the stairs to the safety of the main hall several times. That list isn't just a post-event overview, I made all those entries as they happened; like I said, almost a blow-by-blow. I didn't forget anything because there was nothing to forget, it's a record of things as they happened. That's why some people show up constantly in certain sections, and others only pop up once every so often.

On another note, I think one aspect of the original Aluonra was overlooked in genning this world - namely, the low threshold for titans, megabeasts, FBs and such. Battlefailed and Failcannon got these when they had a population of ~30 I think, Hellcannon currently has over 60 inhabitants and the greatest threats are the skanimals that lurk in the caverns.

For the last time; the generation parameters were identical in every way to what I exported from the Aluonra save, except for the additions of new tags that didn't exist when it was generated and terrain data based on a map, so it got eroded a second time. Future, damnit!

If there hasn't been a good megabeast/titan/FB, it's because you've all been playing with invasions off, aren't making a compelling target for them, or are composed of goodbad-luck-stone and un-fun-metal.

I'm just saying, IIRC, Battlefailed had a bronze colossus at ~30 pop, when they were worse off than we are. Failcannon had FBs almost right from the get go. I'm not talking about terrain contours, it's just something I noticed. And I've got one magma smelter on galena duty, which will provide some silver (and we have a LOT of galena, several good-sized veins' worth), and I'm working on getting the other one to smelt bronze, so our created wealth should go up significantly if everything goes well.

Do we have any prisons set up by any chance? in the middle of the food stockpile? It sounds like they'll be needed...

The Sherriff/Captain of the Guard was beaten to a pulp by fellow dwarves, so we're not in any immediate risk of beatings. I might set one up, but for now, I've got other goals and priorities.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: November 23, 2011, 08:28:27 pm »

The Sherriff/Captain of the Guard was beaten to a pulp by fellow dwarves, so we're not in any immediate risk of beatings.

Aww.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

PhantomXD

• Bay Watcher
  • Digging designation cancelled: warm stone located
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: November 23, 2011, 08:28:40 pm »

I'll start picking up the pieces tomorrow, and that includes trying to rebuild at least some semblance of a military. I'll redorf you and anyone on the permadorf list then.

Lets hope Phantom II can have a (slightly) longer life expectancy than Phantoms. Unless he/she can surpass Phantom in terms of horrific glorious death.
Ironhand's Graphics Set

Bottom line is, the wiki is your friend, and error is your teacher.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: November 23, 2011, 08:40:05 pm »

The Sherriff/Captain of the Guard was beaten to a pulp by fellow dwarves, so we're not in any immediate risk of beatings.

Aww.

Indeed. Unfortunately, punishment is assigned at the moment the captain decides what's available rather than when they are capable of carrying it out. Even if conditions change, every dwarf that broke the law wilst tantrumming will be beaten severely.
As soon as you've set up forges and produces some copper or something, I would request putting all the criminals in a secondary squad with some armor produced from that material. They can be safely removed after their beating...

ie; Please don't let Urist kill me! I'm sorry! :'(
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: November 23, 2011, 09:27:19 pm »

Not that Aussie Dwarf died?... Excellent...

Journal of Insidious Plotting
Faked my death to get out of being Militia Comannder.  That was not a job for someone wanting to keep their limbs or have a long-term career.  Keeping an eye out for migrants or anyone the fortress won't miss that I can disguise myself as.  Must remember to sneak some supplies off the next caravan for my Junior Disguise Deluxe kit - I'm almost out of horsehair beard extensions and hairdyes.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: November 23, 2011, 09:41:55 pm »

I can't wait to recover and go on a revenge spree with a side of justice.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: November 23, 2011, 09:54:10 pm »

Journal of Gizogin, Really Ticked Off Rawmancer (deceased (again!))

I can't believe this!  Just as I was beginning to get used to my new body, I wind up dying again!  Oh well, at least I know how to return this time, so I'll be back on my non-ghostly feet again just as soon as I find a new host.
It's odd, but I seem to be               out        Firmament for my journals.  There are all these cracks all over the place, and it's

should get through.  It's probably for the best, anyway.

Quote from: franti
"Let's expose our military to zombie-dust so they can't feel pain. They don't NEED skin."
Quote from: Ipwnurmom221
One FB post. Many dick jokes. Pokemon. !!VOLCANO!!. Dwarven mood thingee. Derailment itself. Girlinhat's hat. Cuba. Karl Marx. This is why i love Bay12 forums.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

Mego

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:MADNESS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: November 24, 2011, 12:05:43 am »

Journal of Mego II, Chaos Crafter

FUCKFUCKFUCKFUCK WHY DOES EVERYTHING GO SO WRONG

Whew. I'm ok now. Good to blow off some steam every once in a...

I FUCKING HATE YOU ALL YOU MAKE ME WANT TO THROW THINGS AT YOU

...while. They say that keeping things bottled up...

GO DIE A SOBER DEATH IN A MAGMA PIPE YOU ASSHOLES GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

...can cause problems mentally. Luckily, I never have that problem.

On a related note, things feel kinda breezy, despite there being no windows open. I'm going to go see if I can find the source of the draft.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What the fuck.

There is a fucking hole in the fucking fabric of fucking space-time itself. That idiot Gizogin didn't listen to my warnings, and kept scribbling all over it. This is what happens when people don't listen to me. WHY DON'T PEOPLE EVER LISTEN TO ME?!?!?!? NOW I HAVE TO CLEAN UP THIS MESS BEFORE ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE IN HELLCANNON (AGAIN)!!!!!!!!!

Mego cancels Mend Fabric of Space-Time: Throwing tantrum.

Epithemius

• Bay Watcher
  • [AFTERTHOUGHT:100]
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: November 24, 2011, 01:08:19 am »

How am I doing? Hopefully something that was liberally interesting and/or dwarfy.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: November 24, 2011, 01:19:21 am »

Oh, for the next Aussie Dwarf, can I get one that is either VERY good in combat, or a high-end craftsdwarf if any turn up in the next round of migrants?  Otherwise anything's fine.

EmeraldWind

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey there, dollface...
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: November 24, 2011, 01:38:52 am »

I remember typing that everything was going well. The game somehow found out. So naturally the place is going to hell in a handbasket.

It's almost like the game can read what you type. This seems like a good thread quote to start with.
We do not suffer from insanity. We enjoy every single bit of it.
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 208