Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How should Mego do his updates?

Text and images. Old school is better.
- 23 (82.1%)
Live stream and video. Newfangled technology must be applied to everything!
- 5 (17.9%)

Total Members Voted: 28

Voting closed: January 19, 2012, 06:50:05 pm

Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 208

Author Topic: Hellcannon (Succession: Battlefailed 3) (0.31.25) (DEAD)  (Read 792896 times)

compoundoverkillcornbread

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY ENSURES]
    • View Profile
Re: Hellcannon (Succession: Battlefailed 3)
« Reply #630 on: December 01, 2011, 05:35:25 pm »

Using 18pt font, bold, red, and caps all at the same time makes me want to do things to you I usually reserve for my nobles.

Well...cooked fish would be nice...
haha no, but you told me to be insane. This is just a fragment of my insanity.
Not too insane, please.  We've got the insanity of The Master to deal with, I don't know if we can survive two ponies being totally bonkers
Oh man, I am really testing out the strength of this quote system today...TROLOLOLOLO!!

Mego

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:MADNESS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #631 on: December 01, 2011, 07:36:27 pm »

Using 18pt font, bold, red, and caps all at the same time makes me want to do things to you I usually reserve for my nobles.

Well...cooked fish would be nice...

I don't think you understand. You would be the fish.

Deviled

• Bay Watcher
  • Yup
    • View Profile
« Reply #632 on: December 01, 2011, 11:46:32 pm »

I think we just got another level in meta

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #633 on: December 02, 2011, 12:57:52 am »

This conversation is collapsing under the weight of it's own foolishness.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

rridgway

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #634 on: December 02, 2011, 01:03:44 am »

Agreed. We have a fortress to mismanage!

Deviled

• Bay Watcher
  • Yup
    • View Profile
« Reply #635 on: December 02, 2011, 01:15:01 am »

Fortress is pushing it. I would go with horible mess

rridgway

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #636 on: December 02, 2011, 01:23:57 am »

We'll eventually have a fortress to mismanage!

Or, We have a horrible mess to mismanage.

Ledi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #637 on: December 02, 2011, 02:04:14 am »

Mego, could I please be un-struck-through and have the V updated to VI in the dorfing list? Ta. XD
So Ledi's been training the cats into an army of disposable warbeasts?  Why did no-one think of this sooner?!
Hellcannon seemed to be constantly on the verge of death and Levergedon before my turn helped, but ultimately what killed it was Ledi's cat army.

Strategia

• Bay Watcher
  • Cheese is essential to any successful fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #638 on: December 02, 2011, 05:27:27 am »

I tear apart another soul, absorbing its energy. The dead of Hellcannon are in a state of panic. They see their brethren disappearing, torn apart by an unseen force. Informing them of the necessity would be a needless distraction, especially now that time is of the essence. I can feel the Foul One creep closer to Hellcannon every day. I must be ready. It must be stopped.

I risk a gaze across the tundra, and for lack of a better phrase, our eyes lock. My focus of attention is on Stuzang, the horrific creature trailing a veil of darkness behind itself. Stuzang's immortal, ageless perception sees me, a dwarven soul, trapped in a plane between planes. It roars, a fell sound that makes trees wither and livestock miscarry for miles around. It knows what I am doing. It knows it must kill me, if it is to consume this world like so many others before it.

There is no time to lose. Stuzang flies high up into the air, and dives straight towards Hellcannon, gliding along wings of shadow, speeding up so fast it is impossible to hear it approach, until the shockwave of its passage shatters eardrums. It will be upon us momentarily. I steel myself, gathering all the power I have accumulated.

As the beast roars a second time, soundless for those ahead of it, soul-rending for those behind, I focus my entire being on one action. I propel a thin sliver of tachyons toward Stuzang.

The lance hits the fiend as soon as I begin. It passes through the gaping insectoid maw and strikes at the heart of darkness behind it. The effect is immediate. This time, it is not Stuzang that roars. This time, it is the Entity itself, the Foul One, the Ancient, the Eldritch, which lets loose a terrifying wail, striking entire cities dead upon hearing it. Hellcannon is far enough away from the existential tear that used to be Battlefailed for its populace to survive, but even the living can feel its chilling effect, and as one, the entire fortress stops for a moment and shivers.

I withdraw my lance, now formed not as a sliver shot towards the terrible beast, but as a shaft, as solid as it can be on this plane. I glide over to Stuzang's broken frame, the Entity's tendril only barely clinging to the impossible body of the giant fly. I stake it, and it dissolves around the lance's tip. The monster itself, now without a puppeteer, begins to squirm and fidget. I stake it through the heart, putting it out of its misery before reality reasserts itself and it collapses.

I glide back to Hellcannon, unmaking my spear and spreading the particles out. I shape them into a sphere, half above ground, half below, an impenetrable barrier that will protect the fortress and its surroundings. I anchor reality here, in this place. I expend all the energy I have forging a direct link between the planes, between the world of flesh and spirit and the world of particles and order.

I grow weary now. I have done what I needed to do. I have no more energy left. I can feel myself fading away, content in that I have completed my mission..... I will.....

Strategia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #639 on: December 02, 2011, 05:30:11 am »

You have changed NOTHING, mortal! I am not dead! I will find a way inside your shield! And I will UNMAKE THIS WORLD!

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #640 on: December 02, 2011, 05:37:59 am »

*waves a Stuzang supporter flag*

Strategia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #641 on: December 02, 2011, 06:25:34 am »

Sorry for the triple posting, but with the weird formatting I was using, I couldn't get the BBcode tags that appeared to go away. That's also why the middle post is on one line, instead of four.

Now, at long last, screenshots!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The second half of the year was pretty uneventful, by previous standards. Apparently the skrundles were killed and driven off, allowing us to make use of the second and third cavern layers again. Construction of the top floor of the first cavern layer outpost finally resumed, and was mostly completed when the year ended. (To finish it, build more floors over the open space inside the enclosure, and fortifications on top of the walls. There are a few supports already in position, just in case.)

The mayor issued mandates for tin items. Luckily, we have a high master metalcrafter, who produced, among other trinkets, this:

I didn't have it brought up to the depot when the merchants came. Trading it away seems like such a shame. The mayor's next mandate was for two anvils to be forged, so I queued up the order in the magma forge. So far no-one's gone over and done it. In retrospect, I think all our blacksmiths are dead.

Apparently, the Foul One has already managed to poke a tendril inside the shield surrounding Hellcannon.

Luckily, it appeared in the first cavern layer, which is entirely walled off, and it's just wandering about.

A bunch of merchants came, luckily without wagons so they could take the rear entrance. (Gosh, that sounds dirty.) The caravan guards killed and drove off some skelk, although I think one of them died. Big whoop.

I sold all our gems (I'd had our stockpiles of valuable gems cut over the course of the year) and some other random trinkets in exchange for several bars of metal, some picks, and all the wood, food, booze and animals they had on them. We should have enough supplies to tide us over, and the animals can be milked and/or slaughtered if necessary for more food.

I placed orders for iron ore, flux stone and turkeys with the liaison; we can burn the wood we'll get from chopping down the trees in the second cavern layer enclosure for charcoal, and then we can make steel. The turkeys are something I've been making a habit of recently, they produce eggs by the buttload and plentiful meat too. The liaison said he'll pay top Urist for crutches and instruments, nearly double their value; especially the second should be doable, I've been smelting random ores ever since we uncovered the magma pipe so we have a lot of decorative metals lying around. We also have a huge load of galena, so lead and silver should be easy to come by if you build another smelter or two and put some useless gits to work. He'll also pay half again the value of battle axes, rings, cut gems and meat.

Even the gremlins in this place are skeletal.

Finally, good news, bad news, good news and good news. The good news is that I've designated a little niche in the second cavern layer for garbage dumping, and I've been offloading all the random clothing cluttering up the finished goods stockpile there. I've tried to get them to dump only clothes, but the idiots have also dropped some other goods (mugs, crutches, bracelets, etc.) down there, that I've been trying to reclaim, so I'd recommend checking it once in a while to see if it's all okay. I deliberately avoided dumping it into magma for precisely this reason (also clothing may come in handy later on, if only to foist on hapless caravans). The bad news is that Urist Imiknorris II went topside to grab some random crap, and got brutalised by a muskskox. And he was such a good Captain of the Guard too =/ I've given his room, currently the most lavish in the fort, to the mayor instead. (I also switched the office and dining room designations, but I forgot the personal statue garden assignment.)

More good news; I've got a standing order in place for coffins, and I've put away some dead. We still need heaps and heaps more coffins, ofc, but it's a start. There's also a chamber dug out one level below the first cavern outpost, since I needed some stone; it'd make a fine communal cemetery after the current one gets full, provided you can supply the coffins. Also, Dariush has dug out over 2/3rds of the residential area, and should be done with the rest in no time flat. Legendary miner + clay = instant chambers. However, you'll need a LOT more furniture before you can move everyone in there. I've got standing orders for doors and beds too, but right now everyone is too busy doing other random stuff to bother with that, apparently. I did put doors and beds in a couple of rooms in the bottom left, which have now been claimed.

I didn't do any more dorfings, though we have a sizeable nameless population (mostly because I got almost the entire named population killed). We have a Legendary Bone Carver and a High Master Metalcrafter, at least, in addition to other random idiots (two cheesemakers, an herbalist, a leatherworker, etc.) that got put on hauling duty. I've also enabled masonry and/or engraving and/or carpentry for several of them, since we need those things badly.

Here's the save.
http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=5233

« Last Edit: December 02, 2011, 06:28:12 am by Strategia »

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #642 on: December 02, 2011, 07:10:12 am »

Truly, this will be a fort to rival Curs'd Headshoots, Syrupleaf and Boatmurdered.

I can feel it. (The quality of writing suggests it!)

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #643 on: December 02, 2011, 07:27:16 am »

Sorry for the triple posting,
TIME TRAVEL NINJA POWERS ACTIVATE!

stormtemplar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #644 on: December 02, 2011, 10:30:36 am »

Very nice. So thus ends the fourth year of hellcannon's existence. You kept the fort alive after what I would say would be better called "The first battle of hellcannon" as there will surely be many many more.
It's needlessly complicated and a hazard to cats.

I'll take twenty!
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 208