Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How should Mego do his updates?

Text and images. Old school is better.
- 23 (82.1%)
Live stream and video. Newfangled technology must be applied to everything!
- 5 (17.9%)

Total Members Voted: 28

Voting closed: January 19, 2012, 06:50:05 pm

Pages: 1 ... 108 109 [110] 111 112 ... 208

Author Topic: Hellcannon (Succession: Battlefailed 3) (0.31.25) (DEAD)  (Read 785409 times)

Mego

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:MADNESS]
    • View Profile
Re: Hellcannon (Succession: Battlefailed 3)
« Reply #1635 on: February 11, 2012, 01:56:05 pm »

I got just before winter started. By the United States' rules on presidential succession, you'll have more than half of my term, so it would count as your term. But, I don't really care. If you want a full turn in addition to the remnants of mine, be my guest. It's up to your discretion.

Meh, I'm not a U.S. citizen (yet; it's (supposedly) in the works (I'm really just waiting on my parents, because if they become citizens, so do I)).  I can't be president, so your rules don't apply to me!  Anyway, It might not even be my decision, IF MORMOTA WOULD SHOW UP TO CLAIM HELLCANNON!
Why am I so impatient?  I know everyone else on the turn list is going to have to wait longer than I will, and it really doesn't make any sense to be complaining, but darn it I'm going to complain anyway!

In the immortal words of ThatAussieGuy:

TO THE WALLS WITH YOU!

Kirbypowered

• Bay Watcher
  • Proficient Dabbler
    • View Profile
« Reply #1636 on: February 11, 2012, 03:02:18 pm »

Well, had a change of heart. I think I'd prefer not to be on the perpetudorf list. He'll just be your every day dead normal dwarf. Also fixed a typo in my request (last night).
THE WINTER MEN COME DOWN THE VALLEY AND KILL KILL KILL.
I'm voting for the Plaid Acre up next on COLORS AND MEASUREMENTS weekly.

Spish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1637 on: February 11, 2012, 11:38:38 pm »

Why are we still waiting on Mormota? If I was the one runnin' things, I woulda skipped his ass by now. Two days is plenty of time for a response, let alone an entire week.

Gizo, I don't think Mormo will be showing; I believe you can safely pick up the save and start planning things out. He can claim his spot on the list later if he really wants back in. Right now, he's probably not even following the thread.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2012, 12:54:00 am by Spish »
Ah, yes, I thought something was amiss. Now I see. There's not enough terrible things in the lakes.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1638 on: February 12, 2012, 12:01:55 am »

Agreed, he's already missed his previous turn anyway.

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1639 on: February 12, 2012, 02:56:58 am »

Okay, I'll pick up the save in a couple hours then.  I'll wait a bit before posting my first update, just in case.

EDIT:  Just finished the download.  I had a quick look, and I can see I've got my work cut out for me.

What is the point of this space?  Presumably it was meant to be bedrooms at one point, but it's completely overgrown to the point where it's not worth trying to salvage anymore.

Also, whose idea was this?

It's a frivolous waste of the little dwarfpower we have!  All able-bodied dwarves need to be working on the many wonderful projects I have in mind!

Finally, HOW DO WE HAVE NO IRON?  I can't make a magma pump stack without magma-safe materials, so unless there's a ridiculous amount of nether-cap lying around, I'm going to have to resort to some pretty drastic stuff.  What that would be, I don't yet know, but it'll be drastic!
« Last Edit: February 12, 2012, 06:04:21 am by Gizogin »
Quote from: franti
"Let's expose our military to zombie-dust so they can't feel pain. They don't NEED skin."
Quote from: Ipwnurmom221
One FB post. Many dick jokes. Pokemon. !!VOLCANO!!. Dwarven mood thingee. Derailment itself. Girlinhat's hat. Cuba. Karl Marx. This is why i love Bay12 forums.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #1640 on: February 12, 2012, 06:49:28 am »

First you complain about the overgrown, and now useless soil-layer farm/production/sleeping areas, and then you complain about how I carefully carved rooms for our dorfs! You people never are happy with anything unless the game starts with 90% of the fort dying, the rest tantruming and going berserk and seventeen FB's marching in through the front door with every titan and megabeast in the world following in suit, huh?!

But seriously. The first screenshots space is the old fort level. EVERYTHING was there save for the magma forge area and some higher-tier dorf rooms.

The second screenshot is the bunch of rooms I had made. I'm pretty sure that right now they're throwing in the furniture I managed to make for a few of the rooms, our stone stockpile was full as far as I remember so there won't be a million weeks spent filling that bitch up either. EDIT: Oh wait, I forgot, Mego's turn was after me. If they're building something there, I have no idea what it is. AND DAMMIT I WANT DORFS TO HAVE SOMETHING NICE. WE'VE SUFFERED LONG ENOUGH IN THIS HELL HOLE, WE DESERVE SOME FUCKING NICE THINGS EVERY NOW AND THEN. GOD.

Also, I sort of checked, we have no iron because THERE IS NO IRON ORE on the map. At all. Our options are import, or all that goblinite laying about. Most of it unfortunately is where the wild skeletons roam. Also, I'm pretty sure bronze is magma-safe. It's not.

Is there garnierite in the map? Nickel is magmasafe.
Another alternative, if you want magmapumps, make all the components ouf green glass. It's easy to make and quite magmaproof.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2012, 06:57:34 am by Ieb »

Strategia

• Bay Watcher
  • Cheese is essential to any successful fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1641 on: February 12, 2012, 09:38:44 am »

What is the point of this space?  Presumably it was meant to be bedrooms at one point, but it's completely overgrown to the point where it's not worth trying to salvage anymore.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Those are the initial bedrooms I dug out, some of them in the lower-left were actually used as such. But I guess it's a tree farm now, which is rather useful on a terrifying tundra.

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1642 on: February 12, 2012, 03:09:13 pm »

Okay, I'm one with my responsibilities for today, so I have time for DF.

I know it may not have seemed that way from my last post, but I'm actually really happy with the state of Hellcannon.  There isn't any real danger from the surface or the caverns, supply levels are reasonable, morale isn't terrible, and all industry is pretty much the way I like it.  The only real problem I have is the complete lack of iron, but I completely forgot that green glass works just as well for magma pumps.  I still haven't unpaused the game at all; I'm still planning.  There'll probably be a real update coming later today.

EDIT:  Just unpaused for the first time.  90 FPS!
« Last Edit: February 12, 2012, 03:12:52 pm by Gizogin »
"Let's expose our military to zombie-dust so they can't feel pain. They don't NEED skin."
One FB post. Many dick jokes. Pokemon. !!VOLCANO!!. Dwarven mood thingee. Derailment itself. Girlinhat's hat. Cuba. Karl Marx. This is why i love Bay12 forums.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

Mego

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:MADNESS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1643 on: February 12, 2012, 04:24:15 pm »

Okay, I'm one with my responsibilities for today, so I have time for DF.

I know it may not have seemed that way from my last post, but I'm actually really happy with the state of Hellcannon.  There isn't any real danger from the surface or the caverns, supply levels are reasonable, morale isn't terrible, and all industry is pretty much the way I like it.  The only real problem I have is the complete lack of iron, but I completely forgot that green glass works just as well for magma pumps.  I still haven't unpaused the game at all; I'm still planning.  There'll probably be a real update coming later today.

EDIT:  Just unpaused for the first time.  90 FPS!

I got 20-25.

:jealous:

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1644 on: February 12, 2012, 05:20:56 pm »

Journal of Gizogin, Rawmancer

27 Felsite:
It has come to my attention that Mego is not up to the task of running the fortress.  I confronted him about this, and to my surprise, he agreed.  Together, we have decided that I will take control of Hellcannon, to make it proud once more.  In order not to upset the populace, they will not be told of the change in leadership; changing the leader after just three months would seem suspicious and odd, which would be bad.  I have some grand designs for Hellcannon, and I need the confidence of its denizens if I am to succeed.

1 Hematite 209:
I have finished the preparations I need to begin my unofficial rule.  Now my plans can truly take shape.
My first act will be to suspend work on the checkerboard.  While I cannot deny its elegance and importance, I would prefer to have as many dwarves as possible working on my own projects.  Namely, a magma pump stack to bring magma up close to the surface.  Implicit in this are several other, smaller projects, such as a water reactor.  I have laid out detailed plans for all of these, which Mego is now outlining to the populace.  I do not like relying on Mego as my interface with the people, so I may have to come up with some explanation so that I can assume direct control.

5 Hematite 209:
Mego has appointed me Grand Vizier, so that I can more directly control the goings-on of Hellcannon.  I took a close look at the official records for the first time, and was pleasantly surprised.

We're actually doing pretty well, food- and drink-wise, so I can focus more of my energy on the project.  ("the project" doesn't sound very good; I need to think up a title or something)
The only thing that worries me is the lack of miners.  We only have two, which is nowhere near enough.  Looking through the occupation records, I found out that almost everyone is assigned to just one or two jobs.  This would be fine in a populous mountainhome, but in our small outpost it simple won't suffice.  I have assigned everyone to double duty, so that we can get things done at a reasonable pace.

10 Hematite 209:
This is what I like to see!

We'll be done in no time at this rate.
On another note, I have noticed that there is a slight weakness in our main entrance.  If a troll or other building destroyer were to show up, we'd have no way of keeping it out.  As such, I directed a few of my miners to make some adjustments:

These doors are now safe from building destroyers, if I'm correct in my research.

19 Hematite 209:

My scouts alerted me to the sudden appearance of goblins on the surface.  Apparently, they sprung out of ambush to attack some skoxen and reindeer.  Whoever loses, we win, so I ordered no action taken.

27 Hematite 209:
Armageddoncounselor, our "mayor," (a purely ceremonial position with no real administrative power) just forbade the export of crutches, for some bizarre reason.  Why we'd ever sell vital medical supplies in the first place is beyond me, but as long as it keeps AC out of trouble, I'm all for it.
More goblins showed up, and they're engaged in deadly combat with some skelks.  The wilddeath is putting up a fair fight, but there are just too many goblins.

30th Hematite 209:
At the end of my first month in charge of Hellcannon, here's where things stand:

Goblins are still on the surface, but they've given us no trouble.

Work on the magma pumps goes well; most of the excavation is done, and I constructed some more magma workshops to get parts made.  Unfortunately, I can't find any sand or iron, which means that I can't make pump components.  This is a pretty serious setback.  I also ordered excavation to begin on the water reactor, which will provide limitless power for whatever contraptions I desire.

Oh, and:
« Last Edit: February 12, 2012, 05:24:51 pm by Gizogin »
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

armeggedonCounselor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1645 on: February 12, 2012, 05:29:27 pm »

NO EXPORTING CRUTCHES. I MEAN IT.
Quote from: Stargrasper
It's an incredibly useful technique that will crash the computer if you aren't careful with it.
That really describes any programming.

Vgray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1646 on: February 12, 2012, 07:49:39 pm »

Journal of Tasrak Priest of Armok.

Inching ever closer to Hellcannon.

Why do these migrants insist on taking the long way to Hellcannon? It's not like there's much to look at. Unless you have some strange fascination with murderous skeletal wildlife.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1647 on: February 12, 2012, 08:33:20 pm »

Journal of Lord Reudh, Stonecrafter

I haven't written anything since Ieb stepped down. I enjoyed speaking with her; we worked well together. A strange one called Mego took over the post, then citing illness had to step down. I have had a pretty uneventful time since then. Now, Gizogin, an imposing figure no doubt, has taken over. He says he can step into the very essence of the world and modify it as are his powers as a Rawmancer. I think he would be a powerful ally for me to find Mother... When all's said and done, I hope Gizogin and I will be good friends.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1648 on: February 12, 2012, 09:11:19 pm »

Gizogin, how is my dwarf?
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #1649 on: February 12, 2012, 09:19:16 pm »

Gizogin, if Hellcannon is built atop a glacier (cant remember if it's a glacier or just really cold  :-\ ), you could use that pumpstack to route the magma to chambers just under the surface for some !!fun!! freezing traps.  Melt the ice, drain the magma and watch it all insta-freeze with goblins inside!

Also, does Hellcannon have an aquifer?  Really easy way to get power if there is one...
Pages: 1 ... 108 109 [110] 111 112 ... 208