Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How should Mego do his updates?

Text and images. Old school is better.
- 23 (82.1%)
Live stream and video. Newfangled technology must be applied to everything!
- 5 (17.9%)

Total Members Voted: 28

Voting closed: January 19, 2012, 06:50:05 pm

Pages: 1 ... 109 110 [111] 112 113 ... 208

Author Topic: Hellcannon (Succession: Battlefailed 3) (0.31.25) (DEAD)  (Read 785335 times)

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
Re: Hellcannon (Succession: Battlefailed 3)
« Reply #1650 on: February 12, 2012, 09:29:44 pm »

As far as I recall, the landscape is all tundra, no glacier anywhere.
Luckily we do have an aquifer. A pretty big one too, I think a lot of the stone walls on the first cavern layer are just waiting for some foolish miner to swing their pick and cause another FPS-destroying flood.

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1651 on: February 12, 2012, 09:33:30 pm »

Luckily we do have an aquifer. A pretty big one too, I think a lot of the stone walls on the first cavern layer are just waiting for some foolish miner to swing their pick and cause another FPS-destroying flood.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
Quote from: franti
"Let's expose our military to zombie-dust so they can't feel pain. They don't NEED skin."
Quote from: Ipwnurmom221
One FB post. Many dick jokes. Pokemon. !!VOLCANO!!. Dwarven mood thingee. Derailment itself. Girlinhat's hat. Cuba. Karl Marx. This is why i love Bay12 forums.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #1652 on: February 12, 2012, 09:39:25 pm »

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Gizogin, if you channel down into the aquifer from above (breaching it in at least two places), hang water wheels over it and pump it once with a screw pump, you'll never want for power again.

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1653 on: February 12, 2012, 10:29:43 pm »

Journal of Gizogin, Rawman Sir:

5th Malachite 209:
Despite the lack of magma-safe materials, work continues on the pump stack.  Most of the shaft is dug out now, along with the tunnels for the power train.  With the number of dwarves I have available, it makes much more sense to fully support each pump and provide the power through a series of gear assemblies and axles.  That way, I can have several pumps being built at once.

7th Malachite 209:

The water reactor is almost done being excavated.  I ordered this side shaft dug so that it could be filled once the pumps and wheels are in place.  By my calculations, it should be more than sufficient for my needs.

9th Malachite 209:

13th Malachite 209:
Asen Rakustkordam, an ordinary gem setter, just jumped up out of his bed today yelling about this divine inspiration that had apparently hit him during his sleep.  Having heard of occurrences of this nature, I ordered the construction of a jeweler's workshop to see what he'd do.  He ran to it, then bolted off to gather some seemingly arbitrary materials.

Doubtless he knows what he's doing, but I can't say I know what that is.

23rd Malachite 209:
Word just came to me from one of my dwarves of this strange beast that was just spotted wandering the caverns.  In her words:

Very odd.  Fortunately, it seems unable to fly, but I'll order one of the military squads to prepare just in case.  A rampaging toad-monster is the last thing I need, especially now that most of the pumps in the reactor are done.

26th Malachite 209:
Asen finished his project today.

I'm not sure how this is in any way beneficial, but nevermind. 
Let's see, there are goblins still fighting skeletons on the surface, at least three FBs in the caverns, and 61 dwarves sandwiched in the middle.  All is well.
"Let's expose our military to zombie-dust so they can't feel pain. They don't NEED skin."
One FB post. Many dick jokes. Pokemon. !!VOLCANO!!. Dwarven mood thingee. Derailment itself. Girlinhat's hat. Cuba. Karl Marx. This is why i love Bay12 forums.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #1654 on: February 13, 2012, 03:15:49 am »

Impressive!

Journal of Eric Blank, Head Stoneworker of Hellcannon

One of the other dolts left over from the last world finally decided to consider my proposal to increase the stoneworking workforce and assign more labors to everyone. The amount of work we can accomplish should increase appropriately, and I finally have the force to deal with all the mining and construction projects that we're assigned. Hopefully none of those crackpots will get the bright idea to cut back on it, either. Now, if only they would remove the stoneworkers' hauling labors so they wouldn't have an excuse to run off for anything else, besides their legally necessary social and nutritional breaks.

Maybe I should run for election next year? I need a break from the routine and a chance to get reaqquianted with my more supernatural powers.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1655 on: February 13, 2012, 06:36:54 am »

Those FB's just aren't cutting it anymore.

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #1656 on: February 13, 2012, 07:02:04 am »

I blame the lack of entrances to the fort and the absence of a horrid zig-zag mining tunnels that connect to every level, from surface to the deepest cavern level.

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1657 on: February 13, 2012, 09:26:00 am »

Journal of Gizogin, Rawmancer:

1st Galena 209:
Migrants arrived today, despite the danger.  I don't know how many there are, but it's not that many.  Unfortunately, what with the goblins and undead, I'm not going to let them in.  Frankly, they should have known better than to come here.

10th Galena 209:

Construction is proceeding ahead of schedule.  All of the pumps are done, as are many of the waterwheels.  All that remains is to pull the lever and fill the trenches.  Oh, wait, that should have read "All that remains is to PULL THE LEVER and fill the trenches."  That and build the power train, which still won't serve any purpose for a while.

11th Galena 209:
Okay, so I was mistaken.  It turns out there was a bit more that needed to be done to fill the reactor.  The floodgate was in place to control the flow, but it wasn't connected to any water source yet.  I had some miners carve a fortification through to an underground lake, and water finally started pouring in.  I had the floodgate closed off before much water could get in, just so I could be sure everything will be ready.  I don't think that'll be before the end of summer, though.

14th Galena 209:
Now that most of the mining and stonework is done (for the moment, anyway), The Master decided to celebrate by throwing a party.  I wholeheartedly approve; a party would provide a well-needed boost to the overall morale of Hellcannon.  I have been happily surprised at the mood here, actually.  Despite all that we've suffered in recent years, most of the dwarves I spoke to reported their general mood as "happy or better."

15th Galena 209:
Apparently, I was a little too vocal in my support of The Master's party, because Ingiz Dedukisan just threw another one.  One was fine, but I can't have everyone getting complacent.  I "informed" him that this was not the best idea, and he seemed to get the message.

16th Galena 209:
Hellcannon has been pretty eventful recently.  A human caravan arrived today, but, as with the migrants, it's too dangerous to let them in.  No sooner had I made my decision than I was informed that goblins had jumped out and started attacking them.  Clearly I did the right thing, though I do feel slightly bad about all the death on Hellcannon's door- wait a minute, that's ridiculous. 

30th Galena 209:
Well, that's summer done with.  After the arrival of the caravan, not much of interest happened.  Everything I had set out to do this season is done, though I cannot stress enough how irked I am by the paucity of materials.  Still, there's not much I can do beyond continuing to set things up and hope that something changes.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #1658 on: February 13, 2012, 10:26:56 am »

Not that I'm complaining, but regarding migrants, you could just designate the walled aboveground part as a meeting zone momentarily, wait for the stupid migrants herd themselves in, seal the doors leading in and opening the doors below to let them entry to the fort. Potential gobbo ambushers won't be able to smash dem sealed doors either unless they have trolls with 'em.

The biggest threat to migrants are the skeletal creatures anyway. Armed gobbos are much slower than those are. And less frequent. Then again I got one migrant wave through by recruiting the whole bunch and they tore apart a pack of skeldeers, so the whole god damn thing is up to the RNG.

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1659 on: February 13, 2012, 11:57:47 am »

Autumn 209

Journal of Gizogin, Rawmancer:

Spoiler: Limestone 209 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Sandstone 209 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Timber 209 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: OOC: (click to show/hide)
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

Strategia

• Bay Watcher
  • Cheese is essential to any successful fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1660 on: February 13, 2012, 12:08:27 pm »

30 Timber 209:
Slime finished his project:

It's a vest with some battle scene on it.  Not very useful, but pretty to look at.

I get the feeling Slime is going to start Hellcannon's first biker gang. And it'll be called "the Noble Remarkable Competition of Ruthlessness".
« Last Edit: February 13, 2012, 01:23:39 pm by Strategia »

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1661 on: February 13, 2012, 12:20:11 pm »

Okay, I'm taking a bit of a break from playing, but I can check statuses and things like that if anyone's interested.  Also, feedback: how am I doing?  I'm probably going to play through to the end of 210, because I'm moving at a reasonable pace, unless anyone objects.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

Vgray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1662 on: February 13, 2012, 12:59:45 pm »

At this rate my Dwarf will have to try and scale the walls. Hah.

rridgway

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1663 on: February 13, 2012, 01:37:37 pm »

Okay, I'm taking a bit of a break from playing, but I can check statuses and things like that if anyone's interested.  Also, feedback: how am I doing?  I'm probably going to play through to the end of 210, because I'm moving at a reasonable pace, unless anyone objects.

Any new dwarfs named?

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1664 on: February 13, 2012, 07:11:47 pm »

I haven't done any naming yet.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs
Pages: 1 ... 109 110 [111] 112 113 ... 208