Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How should Mego do his updates?

Text and images. Old school is better.
- 23 (82.1%)
Live stream and video. Newfangled technology must be applied to everything!
- 5 (17.9%)

Total Members Voted: 28

Voting closed: January 19, 2012, 06:50:05 pm

Pages: 1 ... 146 147 [148] 149 150 ... 208

Author Topic: Hellcannon (Succession: Battlefailed 3) (0.31.25) (DEAD)  (Read 797037 times)

stormtemplar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Hellcannon (Succession: Battlefailed 3)
« Reply #2205 on: April 11, 2012, 12:08:08 am »

So I'm dead again? Great. All I want for Christmas is enough time alive to write a living diary entry.

It's needlessly complicated and a hazard to cats.

I'll take twenty!

Strategia

• Bay Watcher
  • Cheese is essential to any successful fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2206 on: April 11, 2012, 12:17:44 am »

So I'm dead again? Great. All I want for Christmas is enough time alive to write a living diary entry.

By the time it's Christmas you'll have gone through at least another half-dozen incarnations. Should be plenty of stuff for a diary in there.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2207 on: April 11, 2012, 12:57:44 am »

Don't worry; dead people can write diaries too! Just possess some poor bastard or manifest some RAGE and scribble on stone slabs you hide in deep crevices.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2208 on: April 11, 2012, 06:48:57 am »

Or, if you want to cut out the middleman (with a spoon), you could do what I did and engrave your thoughts on the firmament of reality itself.  Be advised, however, that you then take full responsibily for any instability you cause or eldritch horrors you release.
Quote from: franti
"Let's expose our military to zombie-dust so they can't feel pain. They don't NEED skin."
Quote from: Ipwnurmom221
One FB post. Many dick jokes. Pokemon. !!VOLCANO!!. Dwarven mood thingee. Derailment itself. Girlinhat's hat. Cuba. Karl Marx. This is why i love Bay12 forums.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

Mego

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:MADNESS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2209 on: April 11, 2012, 07:32:26 am »

Or, if you want to cut out the middleman (with a spoon), you could do what I did and engrave your thoughts on the firmament of reality itself.  Be advised, however, that you then take full responsibility for the fortress becoming a lot more Fun.

FTFY.

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #2210 on: April 11, 2012, 07:49:59 am »

I still have no god damn idea about my schedule for the next few weeks. So just to be safe, bump me down one spot whenever a turn is finished and it'd be my turn until I post that I got time to play.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 07:53:44 am by Ieb »

Archereon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2211 on: April 11, 2012, 12:06:25 pm »

You know, after reading through that WMG on Tvtropes about TAD, I just came up with an alternate explanation for how he never seems to die.

He's a dwarven version of Doctor Doom!

He hasn't been killing and taking the place of random migrants, those were all actually DoomAussiebots. It stands to reason therefore, that the real Aussie Dwarf has never appeared in the Battlefailed Saga.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 12:26:22 pm by Archereon »
I want to tell you they were bad men, cephalo.  I want to tell you that with a better overseer the Fortress never would've gotten so bad someone would get offed in a pointless fisticuffs.
But the sad truth charlie?
It was inevitable.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2212 on: April 11, 2012, 12:12:52 pm »

Except for his very first appearance before migrating in an earlier chapter. It always goes like that.

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2213 on: April 11, 2012, 08:10:36 pm »

Hello everyone,

imgur seems to have eaten my photos for summer.  So those are gone. :(

Kar made his artifact just fine, don't worry.  He won't die from that.  The poisonous glass spider lurking in the magma plumbing, now, that's definitely a danger. :)

2 more FBs showed up down in the caverns.  I think the total is about 8 now.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I tried to wrap up dealing with the two sewer-loving FBs.  One of them is walled off in the waterwheel room on 111:

The pet goose in there tried to go for a swim in the pretty water and managed to attract the attention of the 2nd FB, the aforementioned poisonous glass spider.  For his sins he gets to starve with the FB.  The spider chased the goose around a bit and is now camped out at the bottom of the magma plumbing on 110, the same level as the forges. You can see the bottom of the alternate staircase a bit up and to the right of the FB:

I've tried to ID and block off places where the plumbing opens up into the fort, but there are a ton of places where that happens, especially in the upper soil levels  The mining areas had several convoluted paths involving different staircases and 1-tile ramps that would let the FBs into the fort, so I've just blocked off the lower mining areas. I don't think that made it impossible for the dwarfs in the lower living quarters to get back into the main fort (and food stockpiles), but if that did happen they've got some food down there so there's some time before they starve.

The alternate staircase is not going well.  It seems like the dorfs are refusing to dig staircases unless they are on the same z-level as the staircase, not sure why. They'll happily mine it out once they're on the same z-level.  Alternate staircase is a bit east and north of the current 2-tile staircase.

Here's the current state of the fort.  Not to shabby, aside from the FBs running around. :)

Thanks for being understanding about not being able to finish a full year. I did manage to make it to early autumn, so there's only a season and a half that needs to be played.

Save link: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=6157
I AM POINTY DEATH INCARNATE
Ye know, being an usurper overseer gone mad with power isn't too bad. It's honestly not that different from being a normal overseer.
To summarize:
They do an epic face. If that fails, they beat said object to death with their beard.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #2214 on: April 11, 2012, 09:08:33 pm »

You know, after reading through that WMG on Tvtropes about TAD, I just came up with an alternate explanation for how he never seems to die.

He hasn't been killing and taking the place of random migrants, those were all actually DoomAussiebots. It stands to reason therefore, that the real Aussie Dwarf has never appeared in the Battlefailed Saga.

It still surprises me how far a simple joke about my dwarf avoiding all the bad stuff happening in Failcannon as evolved into this.

Mego

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:MADNESS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2215 on: April 11, 2012, 09:25:19 pm »

It still surprises me how far a simple joke about my dwarf avoiding all the bad stuff happening in Failcannon as evolved into this.

I know the feeling. It still surprises me how a single succession fort has evolved into a epic trilogy, the first two having been inducted into the Hall of Legends already.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2216 on: April 12, 2012, 05:48:04 am »

It is a pretty epic trilogy, one must admit.

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2217 on: April 12, 2012, 10:09:15 pm »

OK, I just realized why the alternate staircase wasn't going anywhere.  I assigned everyone to a whole-fort burrow to stop a mad lemming rush for dead skox bits or something.  The staircase must not be in the burrow.   :-[

For the next overseer, it's the burrow named WholeFort. 
I AM POINTY DEATH INCARNATE
Ye know, being an usurper overseer gone mad with power isn't too bad. It's honestly not that different from being a normal overseer.
To summarize:
They do an epic face. If that fails, they beat said object to death with their beard.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2218 on: April 13, 2012, 10:13:32 am »

can we get a list of all named dorfs still alive?
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #2219 on: April 13, 2012, 10:26:07 am »

Ieb has asked to be bumped down, so I guess Epithemius is next. Has anyone sent a message already?
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?
Pages: 1 ... 146 147 [148] 149 150 ... 208