Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How should Mego do his updates?

Text and images. Old school is better.
- 23 (82.1%)
Live stream and video. Newfangled technology must be applied to everything!
- 5 (17.9%)

Total Members Voted: 28

Voting closed: January 19, 2012, 06:50:05 pm

Pages: 1 ... 172 173 [174] 175 176 ... 208

Author Topic: Hellcannon (Succession: Battlefailed 3) (0.31.25) (DEAD)  (Read 785327 times)

Mego

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:MADNESS]
    • View Profile
Re: Hellcannon (Succession: Battlefailed 3) (0.31.25)
« Reply #2595 on: June 08, 2012, 12:01:44 am »

I can see it now...

The fortress has been empty for years, but nobody on the outside knows. Every year, the elves, dwarves, and humans send trade caravans to Hellcannon. Every year, they fail to return. This is how it has always been, and this is how it will always be. It's become a ritual of sorts for the outsiders. Sacrifice your merchants to Hellcannon, and your crops will grow. The merchants embrace it as a challenge. Each wants to claim that they were the first to survive the trip to Hellcannon.

This year, it's no different. The 494th-annual elven caravan rolls up to the fortress. The ice is everywhere, stained dark red from millions of bloody deaths. The wilddeath watches the merchants, but do not attack. The merchants become excited, for it is believed that the wilddeath is the cause of all the deaths. The wagon pulls into the small entrance and descends into the fortress.

The elves walk along with their goods, looking in awe at the fortress. Everything is a dark shade of red, like the ice outside. They wonder among themselves what attacked the fortress and caused all this gore. It must have taken millions to spill this much blood. It would take nearly 500 years of annual invasions to soak the corridor this thoroughly...

The realization dawns on the elves. This is not the blood of invaders. Rather, it is the blood of the annual merchants, coming to the fortress in hopes of finding riches, but finding their deaths instead. The merchants try to turn and run, but it is too late. The traps have triggered, reducing the elves to a large puddle of blood, slowly soaking into the earth around them.

Deep within Hellcannon, as the last of the elves are liquified by the uncountable traps, a mechanism turns. One pump stack drains a reservoir of magma, while another fills it in a different pattern. A line of 5x3 tanks stretches incomprehensibly to the west. The 3 easternmost tanks are partially filled:

And so, the fortress counts its latest victim...

Hellcannon is a curse upon all life. The wilddeath has nothing to do with the deaths of the caravans. In fact, they are the least dangerous thing in the area. The dwarves are what really should be feared. Though they died centuries ago, they are still terrorizing anything that dares enter the fortress. Their corrupted souls haunt the fortress endlessly, taking pleasure in watching the pitiful life forms be reduced to yet another coat of blood in the entrance corridor. Even the demons of the underworld hide from the dwarves. Their monstrous creations know no bounds in their atrocity.

Another year passes. Another caravan arrives. The wilddeath have passed the point of being entertained by the slaughter. It's all just routine now.

A haunting voice rings out from Hell itself. A ghostly dwarf is standing in a patch of strawberries, making a plaintive gesture.

"All according to plan..."
« Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 12:15:53 am by Mego »

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #2596 on: June 08, 2012, 12:10:01 am »

Awesome.  Though it could use a minor note hinting as to it STILL being all part of TAD's master plan, whatever that might be.

Mego

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:MADNESS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2597 on: June 08, 2012, 12:16:05 am »

Awesome.  Though it could use a minor note hinting as to it STILL being all part of TAD's master plan, whatever that might be.

Done.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2598 on: June 08, 2012, 12:45:00 am »

Done.

Wonderful.  I've already got an idea for a simple automated elf-melting device to ensure the traders will keep dying long after the fort is gone.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2599 on: June 08, 2012, 01:27:18 am »

Does it involve dumping magma on them? :D
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #2600 on: June 08, 2012, 10:42:01 am »

We need something better, magma has been overused. We have plenty of syndrome-bearing demons right under our feet.

EDIT: Mego, that is going into the archive. Might even make it the epilogue once this ends.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 10:47:11 am by Deathsword »
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2601 on: June 08, 2012, 10:52:25 am »

We need something better, magma has been overused. We have plenty of syndrome-bearing demons right under our feet.

EDIT: Mego, that is going into the archive. Might even make it the epilogue once this ends.

It's a shame that Catalyst already tapped the HFS - I actually have an idea for a Clown Car trap that I've been itching to try out.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2602 on: June 08, 2012, 10:58:06 am »

It's a shame that Catalyst already tapped the HFS - I actually have an idea for a Clown Car trap that I've been itching to try out.

Aren't the clowns isolated? They could be easily herded into a new trap.
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2603 on: June 08, 2012, 11:06:31 am »

There's nothing actually containing them though, they're just blocked from getting into the fortress. 

arcangelsd

• Bay Watcher
  • Co-builder of the STFO
    • View Profile
« Reply #2604 on: June 08, 2012, 11:26:52 am »

Yes, they now "control" the third and second cavern floors, the magma forges , the panic room and nearly everything in between.
I have a plan to trap some of them, if somebody wants to have some demon pets. Actually I think two of them ARE isolated, but in a rather large area.
Did we just made reality itself commit suicide?
I think that sentence describes all of Failcannon.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2605 on: June 08, 2012, 11:44:23 am »

Are they still generally heading upwards?  It might yet be possible to contain them all (or at least most of them) if so.

arcangelsd

• Bay Watcher
  • Co-builder of the STFO
    • View Profile
« Reply #2606 on: June 08, 2012, 12:11:56 pm »

Are they still generally heading upwards?  It might yet be possible to contain them all (or at least most of them) if so.
Most of them are at the top of the empty magma chimney, which for some reason has a bigass floor only sustained on a single pillar. I keep wishing for one of the buggers to destroy the pillar, and drop the entire buiding on them. Sadly, I haven't had any luck for now.
Also, that place is where I'm planning of building my clown shooting range, that may or may not end up with half the fortress incinerated. Normal stuff, y'all know.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2607 on: June 08, 2012, 12:33:47 pm »

That pillar is connected to a lever in the Hall of Spite. AKA bigass room of levers everyone is rightfully scared of.

Just a tip.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2608 on: June 08, 2012, 12:36:47 pm »

Pull all levers! All of them!

arcangelsd

• Bay Watcher
  • Co-builder of the STFO
    • View Profile
« Reply #2609 on: June 08, 2012, 12:38:12 pm »

That pillar is connected to a lever in the Hall of Spite. AKA bigass room of levers everyone is rightfully scared of.

Just a tip.
Pull all levers! All of them!
Time to pull all of them. It can only get funnier anyways, why not speeding the proccess?
Hell, now I'm in the mood of pulling some schrödinger's levers. I'll post the results tonight. (FYI, where I live is 18:39)
Pages: 1 ... 172 173 [174] 175 176 ... 208