Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How should Mego do his updates?

Text and images. Old school is better.
- 23 (82.1%)
Live stream and video. Newfangled technology must be applied to everything!
- 5 (17.9%)

Total Members Voted: 28

Voting closed: January 19, 2012, 06:50:05 pm

Pages: 1 ... 202 203 [204] 205 206 ... 208

Author Topic: Hellcannon (Succession: Battlefailed 3) (0.31.25) (DEAD)  (Read 802126 times)

CatalystParadox

• Bay Watcher
  • hi ho, hi ho...
    • View Profile
Re: Hellcannon (Succession: Battlefailed 3) (0.31.25) (DEAD)
« Reply #3045 on: August 11, 2012, 11:16:58 pm »

Terrifying is a pretty good description of that place. :o

I'll be checking out some other locations and the terrors associated with them.

It's technically just "Haunted" meaning, I suppose, the creatures aren't much threat... just the local weather.  And unfortunately nothing seems to be coming back from the dead or turning to husks :(  Amusing though it is, I think we do need something more than deadly slime rain for Battlefailed Part Four.
My proud turn in Failcannon | Uzolnom - "Oiledgod"

Quote from: Mego
I opened up the Unread Replies page and saw that you were the last poster. I got scared. Something about you posting scares me, ever since Failcannon.

EmeraldWind

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey there, dollface...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3046 on: August 11, 2012, 11:17:38 pm »

Eh, I don't know about the yin-yang idea. AFAIK, the Foul One is only interested in consuming and unmaking worlds, not creating new ones. It is the pure essence of nothingness, the antithesis of all that is real, it may not even be sentient as we know it. I think that it is physically (insofar as such an adjective can be applied to it) incapable of making anything.

That's true. Perhaps the yin-yang duality came about because of dwarven spirit. The dwarves even when filtered into an energy-like state managed to have enough drive to survive they they somehow brought the new Aluonra into being. And that Xemorid is simply the left over space where the first Aluonra once existed. Now it is devoid of any natural life and filled only with the Foul One's corruption.

Way back in Failcannon, I had an idea involving a Yggdrasil-like tree. It's fruit were the worlds that DF creates and the tree lives in a weird give-and-take symbiosis with Armok. The Foul One was basically a pestilence in the tree. The tree is rotting slowly and that rot is carried to the fruit, but the fruit of Aluonra rotted on the branch and refused to fall to the ground. The fruit manages to grow despite it being rotten and continues to take precious nutrients from the tree.

Continuing that idea, I guess you could say that dwarven spirit caused a new fruit to grow from the same branch. The problem is that Xemorid (the first Aluonra) is still rotting on the branch and it is touching the new Aluonra sharing its corruption. Xemorid is most like a tumor that is feeding on the nutrients from the tree, but the rotten fruit is taking nutrients that should be going to the other fruit. The people in the worlds think the Foul One has some kind of motivation, but perhaps that is just them trying to understand the motivation of something that can't think.

Ultimately, the problem is the fact that the tree is simply dying and it needs to produce a fertile seed. Any paranoia to the contrary could simply be the unease that the people of the worlds feel because the tree is dying, but can't exactly put there finger on what it is they feel.

The new Aluonra is a possible carrier of a fertile seed, but the fruit is in direct contest with Xemorid the rotten fruit that started the whole thing. The thing is this time, the fruit is rotting from the outside. So the people of Aluonra will feel in direct contest with the corruption. They will live through their lives, create stories, build cities, and dig forts all the while never knowing that their every success and failure brings more life to the seed within the fruit, but any success or headway by the corruption is a sign that the fruit is becoming more rotten. Whereas any failure of the corruption is dent in the Foul One's progress to corrupt.
We do not suffer from insanity. We enjoy every single bit of it.

Mego

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:MADNESS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3047 on: August 12, 2012, 04:47:43 pm »

That looks a bit familiar to my turn in the Swordthunders reclaim. My dwarf there was reduced to a massive blob of blisters after punching the snot out of a FB. To make things worse, she just laid unconscious in a bed for the 3-4 months that I played, refusing to die, while the FB (along with almost every ghost in the fortress) was watching over her bed.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #3048 on: August 12, 2012, 08:37:10 pm »

That looks a bit familiar to my turn in the Swordthunders reclaim. My dwarf there was reduced to a massive blob of blisters after punching the snot out of a FB. To make things worse, she just laid unconscious in a bed for the 3-4 months that I played, refusing to die, while the FB (along with almost every ghost in the fortress) was watching over her bed.

Didn't you also have every other dwarf unconscious in the hospital along with yours, as well as two FB's in a horrible toxic orgy?

Strategia

• Bay Watcher
  • Cheese is essential to any successful fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3049 on: August 12, 2012, 09:08:01 pm »

Didn't you also have every other dwarf unconscious in the hospital along with yours, as well as two FB's in a horrible toxic orgy?

"Two Forgotten Beasts in a Horrible Toxic Orgy" sounds like a good name for a death metal comedy/parody band. Or an average day back in Failcannon.

Mego

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3050 on: August 12, 2012, 09:50:38 pm »

Not all of the dwarves were unconscious. A good number of them were dead.

"Two Forgotten Beasts in a Horrible Toxic Orgy" sounds like a good name for a death metal comedy/parody band. Or an average day back in Failcannon.

This is happening now.

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3051 on: August 12, 2012, 09:51:30 pm »

Too long.  The band name would be "Two Forgotten Beasts," while "Horrible Toxic Orgy" is the album title.

EDIT: Actually, I'm not sure it wouldn't work better reversed.
"And now, here's Horrible Toxic Orgy, with a song from their latest album, Two Forgotten Beasts!"
« Last Edit: August 12, 2012, 09:54:03 pm by Gizogin »
Quote from: franti
"Let's expose our military to zombie-dust so they can't feel pain. They don't NEED skin."
Quote from: Ipwnurmom221
One FB post. Many dick jokes. Pokemon. !!VOLCANO!!. Dwarven mood thingee. Derailment itself. Girlinhat's hat. Cuba. Karl Marx. This is why i love Bay12 forums.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

Strategia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3052 on: August 12, 2012, 11:02:15 pm »

Too long.  The band name would be "Two Forgotten Beasts," while "Horrible Toxic Orgy" is the album title.

"And now, here's Horrible Toxic Orgy, with a song from their latest album, Two Forgotten Beasts!"

Yeah, I was considering just going with "Horrible Toxic Orgy", it does sound better on its own. I don't really know about "Two Forgotten Beasts" as an album title, maybe it could be a tribute band of some sort, the supporting programme to start the performance while Horrible Toxic Orgy is waking up with hangovers backstage?

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #3053 on: August 13, 2012, 08:51:39 am »

We need a name and a location so I can get the next fort going. Mego, maybe you can use the poll on top of the thread for that?

Yeah, I was considering just going with "Horrible Toxic Orgy", it does sound better on its own. I don't really know about "Two Forgotten Beasts" as an album title, maybe it could be a tribute band of some sort, the supporting programme to start the performance while Horrible Toxic Orgy is waking up with hangovers backstage?
"Two Forgotten Beasts" probably works best as a music/album name.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Strategia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3054 on: August 13, 2012, 09:28:28 am »

We need a name and a location so I can get the next fort going. Mego, maybe you can use the poll on top of the thread for that?

I found this area during a cursory sweep of the world
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
and I think it'd make a good embark. It's even somewhere near where Battlefailed and Failcannon were, adjoining the same (sadly no longer evil) ocean, and it's close to several goblin fortresses.

As for the name, I don't have any really good ideas but I do think it should have at least three or four components.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #3055 on: August 13, 2012, 01:50:34 pm »

Actually that's quite a ways from where battlefailed and failcannon were; they're way up at the north end of the ocean, where a little island is adjacent to a box-shaped chunk of land jutting into the water.

I'm trying to find a biome that's legitimately -evil-. Every one i've checked so far has a shortage of undead, and pathetic little cloud syndromes.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3056 on: August 13, 2012, 02:24:57 pm »

Okay, I already got the backstory ready, so that's taken care of.

Eric, I don't think we are able to handle perma-rezzing undead on a 100% evil map. Probably.
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Dinjoralo

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% more pronounceable than the leading brand.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3057 on: August 13, 2012, 05:07:12 pm »

Has the name for FailCannon IV been set in stone? If not, I'd just like to put in my two-cent idea:
The Common Plank.
Also, have a pleasant day, all of you.

Mego

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3058 on: August 13, 2012, 05:48:28 pm »

Has the name for FailCannon IV been set in stone? If not, I'd just like to put in my two-cent idea:
The Common Plank.
Also, have a pleasant day, all of you.

This post is wrong in so many ways that I lost count.

Anyways, I like Hellfailed as the first part. Perhaps we should do several rounds of voting, one for each part.

Yeah that's what I'm going to do. Narrow it down to 3-4 choices for the first part of the name, guys.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3059 on: August 13, 2012, 05:49:33 pm »

FailFortress is my suggestion for the first part.
Pages: 1 ... 202 203 [204] 205 206 ... 208