Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Ultimate Fortress Mod v.45 (Plants Complete!)  (Read 14833 times)

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Ultimate Fortress Mod v.45 (Plants Complete!)
« on: November 07, 2011, 12:34:42 am »

Currently on Hiatus due to college taking a lot of my time. The Plant Overhaul Portion of my mod will be kept updated below, but the main mod itself will have to wait for the moment.

Latest version:
Ultimate Fortress Mod v.45 (Plants Complete!)

This is a work to convert my old Ultimate Fortress 40d mod up to the 31.xx level. Of course being a person who doesn't do things by half-measures, I am taking the opportunity to add some new content to the mod as I go! The eventual idea of this mod is to add a humungous amount of new creatures, civilizations, weapons, armor, reactions, ores, and other content while still attempting to contain the spirit of the original.

Installation Instructions
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Mod Summary So Far

Current Changelog

Next Up!

Mod compatibility

Other Notes: None at the moment!
« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 04:41:21 pm by i2amroy »
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Ultimate Plant Overhaul v1
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2011, 12:35:03 am »

Have you ever found that 2 farmers can easily feed your entire fortress with only 8 squares of farmland? Does this bother you? If so then this mod is for you! This includes the plant portion of the above mod that has been redesigned with mod compatibility in mind. The simple goal of this is to increase the growing times of most plants, as well as rebalancing plant values to reflect their uses and increase overall plant diversity in general.

Installation Instructions (vanilla)

Installation Instructions (other mods)
« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 04:39:07 pm by i2amroy »
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ultimate Fortress Mod v.35 (Orchards!)
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2011, 03:58:11 am »

Updated! v.35 and a large step forward in the plant raws. I predict one more update and then it's on to the creatures! I probably won't be able to get much done for the next few weeks (college finals and all that jazz), but after that I should be able to quickly finish off the plants and then move into the creatures.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ultimate Fortress Mod v.45 (Plants Complete!)
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2012, 05:16:22 pm »

Updated! v.45 is now out and plants are complete. My next step will be to advance onto editing the creatures and all of the work that that ensues.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2012, 09:01:00 pm »

Just out of curiousty, Would you like to include my "Advanced Bone Structure" and "Growable Trees"?

I am also interested on what types of creatures you will make.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2012, 01:47:43 am »

Sure I could at least take a look at them and see if they would fit into the mod with no problems.

As for the creatures, I'll probably be starting out a little simple since I'm going to need to redo some work with the next release and I haven't actually messed around with editing new creatures that much in the new version (sure I know what it's supposed to do and I can easily tell you how to do it, but as many have learned; doing and talking are two different things :P). Once I manage to get up and going my first major priorities will be to transfer over some of the creatures from my 40d version of this mod though.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2012, 02:22:14 am »

It is frigging impossible to read your raw.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2012, 02:51:35 am »

Raw works without errors, but like what rephikul said, it's a frigging mess.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2012, 09:18:22 am »

Sure I could at least take a look at them and see if they would fit into the mod with no problems.

The Advanced Bone Structure requires the alteration of most limbs in the "body_default.txt" and the alteration of "body_detail_plan_standard.txt" it is the fastest way to alter every living creature (So mayhaps if you tend to use this make it optional, as some people might not lke the added difficulty of easier crippled units)

Growable Trees (surface and using Phoebus Tiles)
Spoiler: Small Tree Raws (click to show/hide)

I can post the alterations for the Advanced Bone Structure if you wish. So i'm just leaving the plant raws and reaction here
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 09:26:16 am by Hugo_The_Dwarf »

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2012, 09:33:22 am »

Raw works without errors, but like what rephikul said, it's a frigging mess.

Hmmm. Maybe it's a mac vs. windows problem since on my laptop it comes out all neat and tidy. I'll have to swap over to a different computer and check it out again. If it is then I should have a fixed version up before long.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 01:21:48 pm by i2amroy »

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2012, 01:23:31 pm »

Fixed! Seems like Mac's TextEdit and Window's Notepad save line breaks differently, and while TextEdit has support for the windows line breaks, notepad fails to have support for the mac ones. If this problem ever shows up again you can fix it by opening the files in WordPad, saving them, and then opening them in the editor of your choice (though you should still tell me it's broken so I can fix it :P)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2012, 03:26:36 pm »

You can also just open them with Notepad+

I just downloaded the plants, read the files and I am really impressed. Many of the natural ones I know from flora and fauna mod (guess you both made those plants seperately) but the invented ones are awesome.

Some questions:

Obvious one: Could I add this to my mod ?

Simple one: The only changes in the entity file are this : ?

Difficult one: How do these lava plants/hell plants/elemental plants/stone plants/bone plants fare ? Do they all work correctly, can bone/stone-plants be used in workshops, how do elemental plants (dancing flame and ice flower) work ? Any problems with exploding booze stockpiles and frozen water ?

Love the seperation of the raws, especially the different cavern depths.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2012, 06:07:43 pm »

Thanks for the feedback! :D

Some answers!
Obvious one: Could I add this to my mod ?
Feel free to use anything that I manage to come up with as long as you shoot me a thank you somewhere in your files. After all, mod compatibility is why I set up my Plant overhaul version.
Simple one: The only changes in the entity file are this : ?
Yep! That's all that I've changed at the moment.
Difficult one: How do these lava plants/hell plants/elemental plants/stone plants/bone plants fare ? Do they all work correctly, can bone/stone-plants be used in workshops, how do elemental plants (dancing flame and ice flower) work ? Any problems with exploding booze stockpiles and frozen water ?
So far I haven't had any real troubles with them, but they are still a little bit experimental since the majority of my recent fortresses have tended to crumble one way or another right about the time I start to use them frequently. I would suggest that if you believe your herbalists are going to be handling them that you give them some fixed temp gauntlets to protect their hands. As for the bone/stone plants, no, they can't be used in workshops at the moment. I'm considering adding some stuff later on to allow them to be, but at the moment they are just plants or wood that functions equivalently to stone or bone but are still stockpiled the same. (So if you make a weapon out of a rock plant then it will function the same as if it was made of rock). For the elemental plants, it's the temperature tokens that I've messed with. The flame one has a fixed temp slightly under it's ignite point, so it should burst into flames instantly, where the ice one has an extremely low fixed temperature. I also believe that one of the other ones boils away if it gets even the slightest bit warm, but should be able to survive barely in room temperature.

joojoo1975

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2013, 02:13:05 am »

Greets.  though it's been bout 4+ months  I hope your still around.

Was tryin to figure out all the new plant uses(IE if I cook albinio carrots, do I get seeds?)

i'm new so if this has been covered, pls direct me to the correct path.

thankyou!

Thundercraft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2013, 02:16:28 pm »

No offense intended, but I really dislike the idea of incorporating Hugo's "Growable Trees".

As someone who has experience in clearing off trees and brush, I know how much work this entails. And I grew up on a farm. So the very idea of treating a tree as a typical ground crop like wheat or turnips seems silly to me.

If I understand correctly: After "harvesting" (i.e., pulling it up by the roots instead of chopping with an axe), dwarves must drag the whole tree and haul to a stockpile in your fort. Or maybe they would use a wheelbarrow to haul it? It could even be stored inside a barrel or bin... ::)

Depending on the maturity and size of a tree, in real life sometimes even a modern tractor can't drag it. And there's absolutely no way you could stuff a tree, even a sizable sapling, inside a barrel or haul it in a wheelbarrow.

Instead, having a woodcutter use an axe to chop a tree up into firewood-size pieces and hauling that inside is 1,000 times more believable.

Also, trees just don't grow very fast - not even in jungles. Around here the fastest growing tree is sassafras and even that requires much more than 2 years to get a trunk big enough to turn into a small stick of firewood.

Don't get me wrong: I would love to see a reasonable implementation of fruit and nut trees. However, I'm pretty sure that Toady will get to this eventually. But in doing it this way, trees are not treated as trees. Even if it means harvesting nuts and fruit, my feeling is that it doesn't offset the silliness.  :P

All that aside:

I do appreciate the efforts to rebalance farming and make it more realistic. And I generally like to increase overall plant diversity. I also appreciate the clear installation instructions and efforts to ensure compatibility.

I can see some interesting ideas here, like splitting the plants in cavern layers. (If I understand correctly, vanilla plants are exclusive to the 1st layer and modded plants are only found deeper?)

Anyway, I'm looking forward to see what this develops into.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 02:21:14 pm by Thundercraft »
Pages: [1] 2