Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 56

Author Topic: Mechwarrior Online  (Read 102834 times)

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Mechwarrior Online
« on: November 07, 2011, 11:25:27 am »

I am rather surprised noone posted about this yet. Anyway remember the mechwarrior reboot we'd heard about a year or two back, Mechwarrior 5? Well apparently Piranha Games has decided to go the route of a F2P MMO (ala World of Tanks?) instead. Set in 3050 it looks like we'll probably be fighting the clans soon.

PC Gamer article

Game Website
« Last Edit: November 07, 2011, 11:53:12 am by userpay »

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: Mechwarrior Online
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2011, 11:30:35 am »

Checked it out. Mechwarrior MMO doesn't look good, doesn't sound good.

I predict failure.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2011, 11:45:48 am »

I really really really wish things would stop being free to play.  It completely saps my desire to play them.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2011, 11:49:14 am »

I really really really wish things would stop being free to play.  It completely saps my desire to play them.
They make a lot more money on F2P games than subscription based games, so I wouldn't hold my breath on it going away.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2011, 11:54:58 am »

I know, its a shame.   :(

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2011, 11:57:35 am »

Well fact of the matter is we don't actually have that much information about the final product, just an announcement more or less. As far as I know theres no official screenshots or videos of Mechwarrior Online unless their using the same code that they were using for Mechwarrior 5 in which case we might have an idea of where its going. Frankly as long as it plays like Mechwarrior 4, abet upgraded, I'd be a happy camper. As far as they've said though whatever is going in the cash shop supposedly won't give payers a power boost over free players. Supposedly being the keyword.

nichaey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2011, 12:04:48 pm »

I still have hopes for it. It's mentioned that any item that can be purchased can be earned ingame.
Blood For The Blood God!......Skulls For His Skull Throne!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2011, 12:05:11 pm »

I for one am excited.  MMO Mechwarrior just sounds like a LOT of fun and have a lot of potential.  Can't wait to get myself a jump catapult and start raining missiles from 500m up and 5km away :3

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2011, 01:37:19 pm »

I'd rather Succession Wars than Clan Invasion, but this could be cool.

Could probably suck, too... but I'd play it anyway because wheeeee BattleMechs.

(Edit: lol, Hunchbacks. <3)
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

warhammer651

• Bay Watcher
  • [prefstring: Attack_Attack_Attack]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2011, 03:30:27 pm »

I have already registered.
Tell me your mother isn't a Great Old One, please.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2011, 04:13:27 pm »

I have a feeling this will be somewhat similar to World of Tanks in terms of metagame and some gameplay elements, which combined with giant robots should be freaking awesome :D
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Dohon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2011, 06:03:18 pm »

If it's anything like World of Tanks, I'll be so over it. Unless they don't have a decent tiering system. I do NOT want to be sitting in a Flea or Uller while the enemy is jogging around in an Atlas or Masakari!
Quote from: Lolfail0009
Quote from: GuesssWho
Also, why is there a stray hen having a tantrum?
CLUCK CLUCK MOTHERF***ER

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2011, 07:17:22 pm »

I haven't looked at this, but I'll say I've always, always wanted a Mechwarrior MMO.

*looks at article*
...going to be a proper MechWarrior game in the tradition of MechWarrior 2 through 4, not a successor to the Xbox action game Mech Assault. Ekman says joystick support is a strong probability, and both call this a Mech sim.
Awesome!
We have a whole editor and mercenary HQ for players to explore that allows them to customize the look and feel of their corporation...
I like it!
...more of a tactical sim and less of a shooter.
Sweet! Best way to make it MMO, probably.
“One of our core pillars is what we call ‘information warfare,’ which basically boils down to controlling the flow of information on the battlefield, whether it be your own information, or the information of your enemies,”...
So it's going to be like Chromehounds, in a persistent world, with a structure... probably similar to World of Tanks? Sounds like a must-play to me.

*looks at site*
The recent forums threads all suggest that the game is being handled pretty carefully.

This is something I definitely want to play. I hate the micro-transaction format, I've never paid one, but if anything pushes me over the edge this is it. Especially if they're just doing a tiered subscription format (he said that nothing bought with cash would be a tactical advantage in combat, so it's probably EXP-UP sort of things). I'm going ahead and registering a pilot name, at any rate.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2011, 07:39:29 pm »

Aaah Chromehounds... Yes that is probably the best way to describe what they will most likely do with this. I mean Chromehounds counts as having a semi-persistent world no? Thing is they're talking about the timeline progression being day for day, I don't see that working out very well quite honestly. If anything 2 for every 1 day that passes would probably be a better idea.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2011, 07:46:57 pm »

(he said that nothing bought with cash would be a tactical advantage in combat, so it's probably EXP-UP sort of things).

I've never quite understood how EXP-UP isn't an advantage...
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 56