Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: *Theoretically* Emulation  (Read 1900 times)

wertyzerty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
*Theoretically* Emulation
« on: November 06, 2017, 06:02:51 am »

If you were to emulate what would you emulate? What emulators would you use?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: *Theoretically* Emulation
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2017, 07:57:14 am »

I answered in your prior thread in general, but will answer here anyway.

In the prior thread, you said you were planning to use an RPi 3.  Easy peasy-- get ahold of retropie.  It is a full system image deploy of custom Raspbian + EmulationStation + RetroArch + a bunch of other things.

They have taken all the hard work out of the project. You just image it to an SD Card, insert the card into the Pi, Boot the Pi, then copy roms on. Emulators are allready set up and ready for you, it detects when they are added, and it has a pretty unified GUI and everything.

Or are you asking what good retro titles are worth a play through? :P

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2017, 09:18:24 am »

recently I was playing a Turbo Grafix to play Demon Crush, an odd pinball game I remembered.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2017, 09:28:12 am »

I just find it a weak attempt to end run around the 'don't discuss pirating here, thanks'. There are other forums and a whole wide internet to find this sort of information that won't (potentially) get Toady One in trouble.

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2017, 10:09:44 am »

I just find it a weak attempt to end run around the 'don't discuss pirating here, thanks'. There are other forums and a whole wide internet to find this sort of information that won't (potentially) get Toady One in trouble.
Emulation isn't piracy, neither is it illegal. The illegality comes from the fact that people usually use a pirated bios instead of dumping their own
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2017, 10:21:19 am »

What this thread is about, anyways?

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2017, 10:32:04 am »

Generally speaking, the bios involved are indeed illegal, and the ROMs are also illegal in most countries unless you happen to own a physical copy of the game in question.

wertyzerty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2017, 01:37:33 pm »

Or are you asking what good retro titles are worth a play through? :P
I'm more asking this as I already have a Pi running retropie, I just would like to know what you emulate.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2017, 01:57:01 pm »

Emulation has come more appealing to me as modern TVs don't like old consoles anymore.  My 2015-ish flatscreen won't display my N64 at all.  I'd go grab a tube tv from Goodwill or something but I really don't have space to put one anywhere.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Kruniac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2017, 09:51:55 pm »

If you were to emulate what would you emulate? What emulators would you use?

I use ePSXe, SNES9x, Gens, and I don't recall my N64 and PS2 emulators.

I play Parasite Eve 1/2, Breath of Fire 3/4, Final Fantasy Tactics, the Resident Evil series, various SNES and Genesis games, and virtually every NES game (in fact I was thinking about doing a youtube channel of me playing every single NES game).

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2017, 06:54:48 am »

A big interest in emulation is that (out of the obvious "replay your ancient dead console games on your pc") it allowed many good things that were impossible on the real hardware even with gameshark/action replay type of devices, nearly giving them a new "life".
Modding :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1IgcoHsUNo
Fan translation of games that publishers never bothered to do themselves :
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mother_3_fan_translation
Or updates of 26 years old games :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Zgmel5KFh8
« Last Edit: November 10, 2017, 07:03:59 am by Robsoie »

Cattani

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2017, 08:40:04 am »

So I found out this cool pokemon randomizer thingy that randomizes almost everything in Pokemon ROM's.
I want to play it on my Nintendo DS. Like, I have a Pokemon White 2 copy and wish I could randomize it to play on the go.
Anyone knows a way to do this?

Edit: Or if that can be done, you know? That's not simple and rewriting the cartridge would probably obliterate the game inside it. But you never know if you dont ask, right?
« Last Edit: November 10, 2017, 08:51:49 am by Cattani »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2017, 12:00:43 pm »

Can't quite recall specifically the DS, but I do believe there's a number of blank ROM type things floating around the market for various systems. Either carts you can write to one way or another (SNES definitely has this, some of the disc based one you can run something burn onto a blank CD/DVD/specialty-thing with some finagling), or junk kinda' like USB drives built to interface with specific machines. Fairly sure more than one of the newer handhelds have that sort of thing out there.

Also want to say there's basically DIY instructions for some of it, too, though I doubt for the newer/smaller systems. But I'd swear I've skimmed over instructions on how to basically build your own SNES cart before, heh.

... that said, I'm also preeeeetttyyy sure most of them are variably illegal to one extent or another*, maybe specifically to sell or somethin', I've never really paid that much attention to it. You certainly hear about one dealer or whatev' shut down by the console's company every once in a bit, in any case. Unsurprisingly, the originator companies aren't terribly fond of the folks making and distributing such devices, ehehe.

*E: Which is why I'm not even trying to look so I have names to avoid dropping, heh. Sometimes it's better to just not know :V
« Last Edit: November 10, 2017, 12:04:19 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.