Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 56

Author Topic: Mechwarrior Online  (Read 102005 times)

Mattk50

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mechwarrior Online
« Reply #240 on: October 21, 2012, 08:11:48 pm »

Ah, since the NDAs been lifted i can say that i was really disappointed with the closed beta. Im sure it will improve more as time goes on, but right now its not worth my time. I hope they can make it so as soon as possible.

Since, I've been spending my time in MWLL again. Going from MWO back to MWLL is such a jarring experience, its really amazing just how much MWO is missing and lacks. The super short weapon ranges and tiny maps, for example. I even made a trailer for the damn mod after being annoyed at the fact that MWO, even in closed beta state, had so many more active players than MWLL considering the state of both games.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: October 21, 2012, 08:24:48 pm »

MWO is a good game... I have no problem with the current state, just that it could use a bit more polish. I do perhaps wish that the mission types were more varied, and a bit more roleplay / story to it... Original games only very rarely had two comparable sides facing off in equal combat... but as a purely competitive online game, it works.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: October 21, 2012, 08:39:47 pm »

Most people aren't willing to shell out the cash. MWO is completely free assuming you're lucky enough to get in the closed beta, for all it's worth. MWLL requires Crysis Wars in its latest version, and older versions still require you to get Crysis. There's also better advertising as well as the fact that MWO is focusing on the mechs where LL has that as just a part of the game.

I can't speak on the moddability of the mechs in LL, having never played it myself, but from what I've seen in your trailer it seems to lack sectional damage (mechs go from unaffected with all guns firing to dead with arm shots). Most people, unfortunately, play Mechwarrior for the mechs, and the seemingly rather elitist Battletech community has a lot of hard opinions on what they expect out of the game.

At least, that's what I perceive.
Nothing important here, move along.

Mattk50

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: October 22, 2012, 05:32:20 am »

but from what I've seen in your trailer it seems to lack sectional damage (mechs go from unaffected with all guns firing to dead with arm shots).

Eh, its essentially the same as mwo. Never seen someones arm get blown off shortly before they die? And why would you ever want to get an older version of the mod intentionally? (and the mech part of LL is much better than MWO, has far more mechs and better gameplay, though i suppose thats subjective)

kg333

• Bay Watcher
  • Derp.
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #244 on: October 22, 2012, 08:53:01 am »

I was just disappointed by the lack of a larger structure in MWO.  I originally heard that there would be squads of players able to fight over sections of the Inner Sphere, and that the playerbase would be able to influence the political borders of the galaxy.

Instead, it's a bunch of deathmatches with a UI so clunky that I couldn't even get it to run full screen.  Frankly, I thought it was embarrassingly rough for what was supposed to be late closed beta.

KG

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: October 22, 2012, 09:01:37 am »

but from what I've seen in your trailer it seems to lack sectional damage (mechs go from unaffected with all guns firing to dead with arm shots).

Eh, its essentially the same as mwo. Never seen someones arm get blown off shortly before they die? And why would you ever want to get an older version of the mod intentionally? (and the mech part of LL is much better than MWO, has far more mechs and better gameplay, though i suppose thats subjective)

I'm just saying, I watched through the entire trailer video (or at least most of it). Never once did I see any pieces get broken off. Every single mech that was destroyed went from fully operational to not operational, with no sections being shot off or anything. I'll take your word for it, though.

As for getting an older version of the mod, maybe you only have Crysis (not Wars) and you don't want to buy Crysis Wars, or perhaps the former is cheaper to get. I don't know if that's actually the case, but if it is, it would be perfectly rational to get an outdated version because otherwise it wouldn't be an option at all. Of course, why bother with that when you could just aspire to join the MWO closed beta or wait for the free open beta instead of having to pay for Crysis Wars?

Mattk50

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: October 22, 2012, 02:31:23 pm »

Well, at 1:30 you see another mechs arm getting taken off shortly before its destroyed. The reason it died so quickly after is because its main torso had already taken extremely heavy damage (it had actually already lost all of its armor). The same happens in MWO the majority of the time. Its always been this way in mechwarrior, the choice of which peice of the enemy mech to target is often one made by the player in a split second, and generally, unless your familiar with the loadout and mech in question, its better to go for kill shots before trying to disarm them. MWLL is somewhat unique in this regard because you can see the full enemy mech's loadout visually, unlike MWO, MW4, etc, allowing you to make better judgements about how to dispatch your foe. So people often arm/side torso mechs first.

Oh, and almost all of the mechs in MWLL have XL engines due to the time period it takes place in (which is much later than MWO's). The ones that dont still suffer from being killed through side torsos, because while you'll take less damage through them, if theres a chunk of your mech missing its easy to stick a slug through there and do damage to the center.

Also, nobody plays the "old versions" of the mod. it isnt even an option because nobody, and rightly so, even runs servers for it. Also, from the start of the mod's development the plan was always to eventually go to crysis wars, its not like anyone was mislead, it's netcode was just better. In any case, its no different from (as you may have implied) not getting the mod because you dont have and dont want to purchase the base game. The fact that its not on crysis isnt some sort of aditional hurdle, its like saying MWLL not being a mod for mount and blade is an issue, in my perspective, anyway. I may be misunderstanding you. I do know people are hesitant to get MWLL because they first need to have crysis wars, however i consider the quality, features, and design of MWLL to be more than worth the cost, even taking into account the free MWO there lurking as an option.

Hope you dont mind all the tangents i went off on.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 02:37:28 pm by Mattk50 »

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: October 23, 2012, 02:32:33 pm »

You have every right to go off on tangents, just like I do. I like a person who can hold their weight in a debate.

I didn't imply that it not being able to run on Crysis anymore was a bad thing, or at least didn't mean to. I just figured that the older game would be cheaper because it's more outdated software.

As for the mechs, how much actual ability do you have to customize them? For that matter, how much can you customize at all? It's got tanks, aircraft, and apparently soldiers (I know I saw the powered armor suits in your trailer, are there normal soldiers too?). Can you customize everything? Do you get to choose what you're going out onto the field with, or are there limits on what kinds of weapons that can be fielded? I'm sorry if I'm asking too many questions.

Mattk50

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: October 23, 2012, 09:37:33 pm »

Crysis wars and original crysis actually are the same price now. Its a bit strange tbh, ever since EA started origin they've been doing their pricing very strangely.

Currently customization is limited to choosing from a selection of variants(theres 256(not limited, just lucky) with more added all the time) with preset weapons, heatsinks, armor distribution, electronics, etc. And they use a pod system instead of crits. Mechlab isnt in yet, its planned though and development is still going strong (last patch was 5 new mechs, 3 new aeros, a vtol, a hovercraft and a tank, updates of that size are rare but theres new content every few months). Right now, theres enough variants for every mech and vehicle to cover basically every viable role. The fine tuning on the player's end is missing, definitely. There are some people who say the lack of a mechlab actually helps gameplay, i wouldn't agree but the lack of it hasn't had an impact as much as one might first assume. Mech loadouts in older mech games (and even MWO from what i've seen) often became homogenous, people all using a few set loadouts. With the variant system and the more diverse "needs" of the battlefield in MWLL, it seems like theres a much wider range of stuff being used out there. This is especially true with the lighter mechs. BA you can pick exactly what your loadout is (this is obviously the simplest though, as its essentially infantry), and more BA types (golem, etc) are actually in the works. Oh, and you can pick camos for your mechs (obviously very important).

the "limits" on stuff you take out are cbill related, rounds being 60 minutes usually means that the round based cbill system has a lot of time to work. The more you do, the more cbills you get in a game to spend on bigger stuff. You can die and buy what you bought in your life, or return to the hangar, sell your mech and buy something else with the money. often only quite skilled players can make it past medium/heavies (some mediums cost more than some assaults, blame the clan tech) giving lights and mediums use throughout the match. There's repair pads, APCs for ammo delivery that also spawn BA, and all that you can spend on too. On most maps there's also forward mech factories to fight over that let you build mechs there when they are under your control, and theres a few maps with airfields that you need to fight over if you want to get any air power at all. Some servers run puretech too, which means clans can only use clan tech and inner sphere can only use IS tech, and there's plenty of assets to support this.

The only infantry is the battlearmor/elementals, the ones from battletech of olde. I doubt anyone would want to play an armorless jetpackless dude with a dinky pistol in this sort of game though.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: October 23, 2012, 09:55:05 pm »

Anti-mech jump infantry. Because screw sanity.

But, anyway, I was seriously thinking just maybe it would be worth it to get a copy of Crysis Wars and check the mod out until you mentioned Origin. I'm afraid that I'm not willing to install that on my computer. You have fun, though. I'm fine fighting mechs and only mechs for the time being.

At least MWO's better than Planetside 2, the other beta I'm in which I can't play because it's bugged to hell right now.

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: October 24, 2012, 01:09:19 am »

Now, if you do manage to kneecap an atlas with shaped charges and no armor, you deserve a victory.

The usual result is you get lasered/missiled/autocannoned/stomped/swatted to death well before that. It's what you get for attacking a 16 meter tall mech!

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: October 24, 2012, 02:29:41 am »

often only quite skilled players can make it past medium/heavies (some mediums cost more than some assaults, blame the clan tech) giving lights and mediums use throughout the match.

You make it sound like light 'mechs are only used by those too bad at the game to be able to buy assaults. Are they generally outclassed by the larger 'mechs?
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: October 24, 2012, 06:09:27 am »

Back when the Jenner was a stock mech it wasn't good for much compared to personalized light mechs. Though you were fully able to use 3 other mechs of various size, including a Catapult K2 with the dual PPCs or a decent though AMS-less Atlas variant.

I think the Raven is the new stock light mech, though I can't remember it's loadout. I used a few personal (C-bill bought) Ravens and unlocked the skills or whatever for both except the final one, which required 3 variants of Raven to exist while there were only two at the time. One of the variants was especially good for customizing; the one that had the extra ballistic weapon slots.

After I saved up enough C-Bills, I bought a Dragon. It now has three ac-2s in it's arm with 210 rounds, an engine appropriately sized for a Jenner, and previously had an ER-Large laser in the other arm. I had to remove the ER-L laser to add heat sinks though, as firing three ac-2s was enough to overheat the design after maybe 15 or 20 seconds of constant fire, and the ER Large added to that made it hard to be practical. It's best when I'm way behind providing support with the Atlases up front. It's too slow to run away and I had to cut some leg armor to fit that many autocannons, ammo, ams+ammo, and now ECM. Also it's very vulnerable to having it's arm blown off, and it's too slow to make it to the capture point in a base attack map.

I think I'll reassign the 3 ac-2s and have one per weapon group. I think I'll use it for a while and accumulate some recovered Star League tech with it.
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Mattk50

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: October 24, 2012, 06:34:18 am »

often only quite skilled players can make it past medium/heavies (some mediums cost more than some assaults, blame the clan tech) giving lights and mediums use throughout the match.

You make it sound like light 'mechs are only used by those too bad at the game to be able to buy assaults. Are they generally outclassed by the larger 'mechs?

In head to head combat, yes, they are outclassed just as they are in MWO. The difference is that there's actual ewar going on, with narcs, tags, c3, etc scouts have a little more to do than look at targets. And of course, that everyone cant just pick heavy/assault it makes their role neccasarry. Lights are used by everyone in the start. And of course, there are your slower and faster lights with varying styles of armor, speed, firepower. To be stuck in a light the whole game you'd have to be exceptionally bad though. This system reflects that, in fact, lights are worth less than assaults in-game, unlike in MWO where all of that is handled out of the match and its just "he has assault, he doesnt". Its not about grinding, its merit and ability instead. Also, shooting at mechs bigger than your own gives you score on a multiplier, so its really really hard to get stuck in something.

But, anyway, I was seriously thinking just maybe it would be worth it to get a copy of Crysis Wars and check the mod out until you mentioned Origin. I'm afraid that I'm not willing to install that on my computer. You have fun, though. I'm fine fighting mechs and only mechs for the time being.
I agree. Which is why i bought crysis wars elsewhere. I just meant that, ever since origin "was a thing" EA has been doing screwy things with prices everywhere. Its available on steam and boxed copies on amazon, etc.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2012, 07:16:42 am by Mattk50 »

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: October 24, 2012, 08:18:52 pm »

In head to head combat, yes, they are outclassed just as they are in MWO.
I have to disagree with this, one of the brightest points about MWO is how combat viable lighter 'mechs are. In head to head combat between a Jenner and a Catapult/Awesome/Atlas, the relative skill of the pilots, the terrain, their weapon loadouts, and the general chaos of battle have far more impact on the outcome than the extra 30-65 tons on the bigger 'mech.

'course, the Jenner's gonna die if it plays stand-and-deliver, or if the gausscat's a crack shot -- but you never feel disadvantaged just because your 'mech is lighter, it's a choice of style rather than a necessity.
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 56