Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 56

Author Topic: Mechwarrior Online  (Read 102885 times)

Kyzrati

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Grid Sage Games
Re: Mechwarrior Online
« Reply #270 on: December 22, 2012, 02:13:58 am »

Well, you said you're an Oceanic player--so am I (260 ping included ;) ). I think we're still accepting applicants: Oceanic Mech Corp. Quite a few members, and dozens are online simultaneously on any given day.
Cogmind - Sci-fi Roguelike (devblog) | X@COM - The X-COM RL | REXPaint - ASCII art editor | Patreon

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: December 22, 2012, 04:55:44 am »

Well, you said you're an Oceanic player--so am I (260 ping included ;) ). I think we're still accepting applicants: Oceanic Mech Corp. Quite a few members, and dozens are online simultaneously on any given day.

Thanks buddy, may I ask whether they are closer to competitive or casual? My personal preference is like 25% casual, 75% competitive. And I must say I suck @ mech but intend to improve.
Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

Steam profile: Elsior
Friend Code: 2938 - 7181 - 3815 (Elsior/Elle Ciel)

Kyzrati

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Grid Sage Games
« Reply #272 on: December 22, 2012, 04:58:39 am »

No problem. We're a mix of competitive and casual (a good 100+ members, so some of each), but still in the phase of organizing companies right now since the official competitive side of the game hasn't really started up yet.
Cogmind - Sci-fi Roguelike (devblog) | X@COM - The X-COM RL | REXPaint - ASCII art editor | Patreon

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: December 23, 2012, 01:07:30 am »

Kyzrati, I have been recruited into ARMD. Was in their drop team and impressed by the level of teamwork. Getting the hang of the game better and starting to rack in C-bills in HBK-4SP.

This game has been overheating my GPU (Mobility Radeon HD5870), though, so I had to lower the graphics settings the lowest I could.
Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

Kyzrati

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Grid Sage Games
« Reply #274 on: December 23, 2012, 01:17:53 am »

Kyzrati, I have been recruited into ARMD.
Well, that would make you my ENEMY now, wouldn't it? It's all good--should we meet I promise to kill you last ;p

This game has been overheating my GPU (Mobility Radeon HD5870), though, so I had to lower the graphics settings the lowest I could.
The game still looks great even on the lowest settings, anyway. I play on a laptop myself, so always lowest settings here...

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: December 23, 2012, 03:24:54 am »

Don't worry I am a noob so you can easily own me. :c

And yes the game looks fine on lowest setting, the problem is my Mobility Radeon HD5870 still reaches 85-95 degree Celcius when running the game. Never again I will get a gaming laptop, despite my room being tiny. -_-a

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • You can't spell slaughter without laughter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: January 30, 2013, 08:49:36 pm »

Wait clans are in now ? O.o

Also any need for a Assault mech pilot ?

Any bay12 guys still playing this ? And how much has been added since.... October last year ?
He must be running 3.5 abacuses of RAM

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: January 30, 2013, 09:05:30 pm »

Clans (as in groups of MWO players, not 'clans' in MW lore) are formed and organised via external websites and voice comm programs. So usually we go into a TS/Mumble server and then get together to form a lance. Larger clans have multiple squads at once. You can either form four- or eight- man lance.

I have been taking a break since December because I couldn't stand the netcode. Last update they added Spider light mech, whose variant(s?) is capable of mounting ECM.

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: January 30, 2013, 09:09:23 pm »

Sorry I did not mean clan clans, I swear they were putting in a guilds type feature where you can team up.

Hmm we can always get a few of use playing again and form a lance ? I do have a voice sever we could use

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: January 30, 2013, 09:18:29 pm »

Yes you can form a lance in-game. However, there is no in-game clan/guild function yet so the only way to get this organised is via TS/Mumble.

I will be able to play on the weekend, but I am in Oceania and my headset is broken. What day and time do you have in mind?

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: January 30, 2013, 09:25:36 pm »

Yeah I have a TS3 server

And well I'm free when ever really, if you add me on steam you can message'e when you are free

ukulele

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: January 30, 2013, 09:50:49 pm »

I played some of the closed beta and while i didnt find the game BAD it just felt like it was missing something, generaly speaking lighter mechs stood too many chances against assaults for my taste, etc. Have there been any major changes since CB? Becouse im more than willing to give it  another try.

Kyzrati

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Grid Sage Games
« Reply #282 on: January 30, 2013, 10:40:58 pm »

It's a far better game since closed beta. Back then I could only stand to play so long, really just to test out each patch, and in recent weeks it's actually become far more decent, fun even. Definitely on the road to becoming a better game, though it still helps to play with others on TS to get the most enjoyment out of it, otherwise there's a good chance you'll get stomped by other organized teams, and losing a majority of matches tends to get on your nerves ;p

Closed beta was total crap compared to what they've got now, but there are still lots of improvements needed.

Depending on their loadout, a good assault can easily crush light mechs. I know I love the sight of a light coming my way when I'm in my stalker--it's like swatting flies that explode! If you learn to lead your targets properly, the extra speed of lights isn't too hard to overcome, and any light without ECM can kiss its torso goodbye if it runs into anyone with streaks (I like to carry some on most builds just to make getting rid of lights a no-brainer). Especially like those commandos which go *pop* after just 6 streak hits (only two salvos if you've got 3 streaks! That's a 3.5 second kill...).

Werdna

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: January 31, 2013, 10:51:10 am »

IMHO, I'd say the game is in a better place mechanically, but in a worse place with the player base.  I have an absolutely awful time if I solo-queue, and a decent time if I group-queue.  There's so many premades running around on separate voice-comms that a solo-queuer is an easy kill.  If you're one of those premades though, it can be a lot of fun.  Aside from the guilty fun of stomping solo-q'rs without comms, you do run into other smart premades and that combat can be challenging and a LOT more interesting.

Some random thoughts on current state vs CB:
- The net lag is in a much better place - ie the light mechs are now hittable by lasers without leading them. 
- SRM stacking is the current FTW, making toe to toe brawling a lot more dangerous than it was
- ECM is too uber.  This past patch that removed the light's lag shield has reduced the frequency you see ECM a fair deal, but it just does way too much for too little and it makes certain mech variants far too desirable.  In 8 man matches, ECM and countering ECM dominates everything you do.
- because of ECM, LRM's are probably at an all-time low.  Otherwise LRM's can be pretty devastating.
- still all kinds of instability issues.  There's the FPS bug, where you suddenly get a slideshow any time you face a direction where there are mechs.  There's the mech lab bug, where it locks up trying to display your current mech (readouts show 0 with moving indicator bars).  There are still occasional crash to desktops when starting matches.  There's lesser stuff like screwed up HUDs.  Generally, I feel like its about 50% more stable than it was in CB.
- UI is slightly improved but still poor.  Better mech stats, but still no in-game detail on the weapons and equipment.  Clumsy launch method for groups, atrocious social UI (many players have no idea there is an in-game method to chat, because it is so well hidden).
- The F2P part is a little tougher than CB.  You don't make as much C-Bills so you have to play a lot of matches to afford stuff, but it feels about right.  Trial Mechs suck (horrid weapon & heat loadouts) and I feel bad for newbies that have to play these, but they do make cash.  The nice thing is that Light Mechs are cheap, and they can be pretty effective.  Easy entry to the customizable mech game, for free.  People will bitch endlessly about P2W in any game, but I don't see it here.  You'll regularly see $3M Jenners owning the crap out of a $12M Atlas under the right conditions.  Extra mech bay slots are pretty cheap and probably the one place a really hooked free-player will need to spend a little dough.  Hero Mechs are not even slightly OP (yet, anyway) and at best are just better looking variants.  Their 'C-bill boost' is no different than any other F2P game that allows you to pay to 'boost' your xp/gold/whatever gain-rate. 
- Frankly the MC to $ ratio is way too stiff, IMHO.  I think they'd see a lot more people $-buying mechs if they were 2/3 the cost or maybe on sale for a 1/2 occasionally.  They ought to be experimenting with sales to find the sweet spot, but they aren't.
- they are still actively balancing, with near-weekly patches.  They don't get everything right but at least they're trying.

Criticism aside, bottom line, it can be a fun game, but find a group.  I'd avoid the game if you play casually and solo-queue when you have an hour here or there.  Its night and day, the difference in play. 
ProvingGrounds was merely a setback.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: February 01, 2013, 06:28:04 pm »

I have just started playing an hour ago!

I have learned that I am terrible at this game!
It's FEF, not FEOF
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 56