Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56]

Author Topic: Mechwarrior Online  (Read 102817 times)

Fishbreath

• Bay Watcher
  • [AVATAR HERE]
    • View Profile
    • Many Words
Re: Mechwarrior Online
« Reply #825 on: November 08, 2017, 03:14:19 pm »

Hah, got back into this briefly because of the megamek thread... I feel like they've butchered the feel
of BattleTech thoroughly though. Took the trial Dire Wolf for a spin a few times and died like a chump within 20 seconds of being engaged each time. I really don't feel like I'm in the heaviest assault mech available, and didn't even want to try a medium or light mech because they'll just die even faster.

On the upside, I freed up 40GB pretty quickly!

Blast it all, I was hoping it had improved, and was even thinking about re-installing it.

Oh well, guess I'll either have to reinstall MW4:Mercs, or wait for the upcoming MW5.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #826 on: November 08, 2017, 03:18:49 pm »

Why not try Living Legends? It's free and pretty good.

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #827 on: November 08, 2017, 07:46:17 pm »

Best way to not die is not get shot, and the Dire Wolf is pretty bad at that -- being very slow, unagile, and with large hit boxes one can easily focus on. Assaults don't especially shine in the durability department, rather their strength is the unmatched firepower they bring.
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #828 on: November 08, 2017, 07:53:38 pm »

With the dire wolf its mostly it being so slow your team outruns you and just sort of forgets about you.  Even assaults need buddies.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #829 on: November 08, 2017, 08:19:25 pm »

I would go so far as too say that assaults in general are the hardest mechs for beginners.
You are slow, so a lot of smaller mechs can just circle around you and chew through that juicy rear arm or. That slowness also means you need to know where you are going because otherwise chances are you won't contribute much because you are at the wrong place at the wrong time. It is harder to shield because your torso moves slowly and you need to be more aware of your surroundings because you can't just turn around in an instant and run away.
Also 20sec is 2 turns in the

While MWO has many flaws I do love that they managed to make light mechs viable. A well piloted light can be a terror on the battlefield and can actually do some of the fluff stuff that the turn based nature of the tabletop doesn't really let them do.

I'd say heavies are the easiest weight class to play by and large. Mediums seem to be in a weird spot, because they mostly lack the speed to avoid taking damage and the durability to survive the beatings.
But then, in a Stormcrow I'd take on almost any mech and have a very decent chance of winning. Unless they have ECM while I have streaks. :D And there are a couple more exceptions.

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #830 on: November 09, 2017, 02:46:22 am »

I don't know, when's the last time you downed a Dire Wolf without a lucky gyro or cockpit crit with two mechs inside two rounds?

Either way, while I understand there's a whole complex ecosystem to MWO, in the end, it doesn't feel like a mechwarrior game to me anymore. It feels like any other twitch-based shooter on the market where there's no strategy, only whoever has the most experience in the game and the fastest reflexes wins.

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #831 on: November 09, 2017, 03:34:52 am »

... when's the last time you downed a Dire Wolf...
Approximately never. :P

Perfect conversion does make the game very different than TT, but is that actually different than any prior MechWarrior game? I can't say I remember exactly, as it's been quite some time since I've played the other titles... but don't things in general die quickly in all these games?

As for strategy, I'm not sure this game is devoid of strategy for any reason other than those who choose to play it.
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #832 on: November 09, 2017, 07:25:15 am »

I don't know, when's the last time you downed a Dire Wolf without a lucky gyro or cockpit crit with two mechs inside two rounds?

Either way, while I understand there's a whole complex ecosystem to MWO, in the end, it doesn't feel like a mechwarrior game to me anymore. It feels like any other twitch-based shooter on the market where there's no strategy, only whoever has the most experience in the game and the fastest reflexes wins.

I play without TACs in megamek, so it is hard, but with focusing fire it can be done. Sometimes, when you are lucky. In MWO your enemies focus fire on one component, so it is a lot easier. The weapons shoot faster (some a lot, which in my book is a good thing because things like AC2 and AC5 are mostly dead weight in the tabletop), but you have twice the armor as well.

One could argue that it was a grave tactical mistake on behalf of you and your team that the enemy managed to catch you in a position where it was easy to quickly focus you down.
While there are a lot of solo players, when someone takes command and knows what he is doing the battle is won a lot more often then not when playing against 12 solo players.

I do horrible in most FPSs, but decent in MWO which seems more forgiving in that you don't die as quickly usually. That said, I survive a lot longer in my Cataphract then I do in my King Crab most of the time.
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56]