Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Floor grate problem  (Read 921 times)

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
Floor grate problem
« on: November 07, 2011, 02:13:11 pm »

I can't manage to get water to drain through a floor grate.

Tl;dr version: Water isn't going through my floor grate, it was supposed to make a waterfall and drain into the floor grates below, but the water just backs up and nothing goes anywhere.

Lengthy version: I started my first "megaproject": a waterfall over a bridge. To keep dwarves from falling into the water, I surrounded the bridge with floor grates after putting a floor in (the floor grates were the product of an afterthought, I'll admit). I successfully built a working pump stack, total of 360 + 117 power needed, built 17 windmills, and started the entire contraption so I could fill a reservoir. Filled the reservoir and started the pumps going for the waterfall. Here's the thing: The water backed up over the floor grate instead of going through it. Do floor grates not work if there's another floor grate one Z-level below them, or is something else wrong? (Also, it might've been wise to ask... can water falling 1 z-level actually make a waterfall at all?)
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
Re: Floor grate problem
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2011, 02:16:07 pm »

Did you install your floor grate over Open Space, or did you build it on top of an existing Floor tile?
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2011, 02:23:03 pm »

Did you install your floor grate over Open Space, or did you build it on top of an existing Floor tile?
I built it on an existing floor tile. Is that why it doesn't work?

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2011, 02:45:53 pm »

Yes. Placing a metal grate is exactly like it sounds, you put a metal grate down on top of whatever is there. As a result if you put it over floor then it is exactly the same as if you placed a metal grate on the floor, there is still a floor beneath it. Dig it out first and then put the grate down and you should be fine.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2011, 03:54:56 pm »

Okay, thanks, got it fixed. It muddied everything up and flung mist and blood everywhere, and slowed my framerate to near-zero. I'd say a perfect success!

Why am I getting troll blood down there though? :\ The only trolls I killed were up on the surface, and I'm using cavern water.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2011, 04:11:09 pm »

Why am I getting troll blood down there though? :\ The only trolls I killed were up on the surface, and I'm using cavern water.
A dwarf (or war dog or something) killed a troll, or stepped on a pool of blood after a troll was killed, and has troll blood on him.  They then stepped through the waterfall or were hit by the mist, and the troll blood washed off and is now getting washed into the caverns.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

nightwhips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2011, 04:13:16 pm »

Yeah, the blood washes off units. And it gets everywhere. I have a waterfall in my dining room that drains to a trough below, and the walls of the trough are completely smeared with blood and there's blood in the water.
: Miner dwarves? In my volcano?

:I put childs into danger room...
They die, and their parents care nothing because legendary dining room.