Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Legal abuse in DF  (Read 19486 times)

Makbeth

• Bay Watcher
  • His lower body is melted.
    • View Profile
Legal abuse in DF
« on: November 07, 2011, 06:34:08 pm »

In light of the most recent devlog, is anyone else planning on always accusing nobles of crimes, even when it's clear they weren't guilty?  Any other groups in for serious oppression in your forts?
Diso Faintpuzzles was born in 120.  Although accounts vary it is universally agreed that Diso was chosen by fate as the vanguard of destiny.

In the early spring of 143 Diso began wandering the wilds.

In the early spring of 143 Diso starved to death in the Horn of Striking.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Legal abuse in DF
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2011, 06:39:46 pm »

In light of the most recent devlog, is anyone else planning on always accusing nobles of crimes, even when it's clear they weren't guilty?  Any other groups in for serious oppression in your forts?

Well I plan on creating a super fortress in the Ire of George Orwell, meaning EVERY dwarf's action will be dictated by me, from the people they meet, the jobs they do to the paths they take.

TOTAL control.

And nobles who challenge my rule will be accused of treason. Suitable punishments will be handed out.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
  • Hi!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2011, 06:40:12 pm »

Honestly I'm thinking it's a huge boon to community forts. Just imagine the hilarity! In-character accusations!

Makbeth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2011, 06:50:18 pm »

*Dwarf has strange mood requiring unavailable materials*

Me:  Look!  He's possessed by demons!  Purify him!

*dwarf is burned at stake*
Diso Faintpuzzles was born in 120.  Although accounts vary it is universally agreed that Diso was chosen by fate as the vanguard of destiny.

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2011, 07:35:12 pm »

No, no. My forts shall be entirely just. No innocent creature shall go punished.

Unless they break my policy...

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2011, 08:15:27 pm »

I would laugh and laugh and laugh if the current [PUNISHMENT_EXEMPTION] token applied to the new justice system as much as it did the old one.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2011, 08:19:00 pm »

That can be fixed.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2011, 08:50:22 pm »

My meme sensors are tingling.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2011, 09:36:45 pm »

I was thinking more of removing that tag, but if you want 777777777777777777777777777777777777777777777777777777777777777777777777, that's fine too.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Pokon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHICS:HAHAHAHA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2011, 10:26:24 pm »

Who else is going to go Inqisition on some dwarves?

"Okay, mister Noble, why do you not want us to export Limestone chairs?

"Well, er, um..."

"And why was mister totalyavamp accused by you when the murder of completeidiot took place, when totalyaghoul and soisanecromancer said that they where playing music down in there rooms with him, and you, on the other hand where no where to be seen?"

" Well, you see, I was reading a book in my study at the time of th-"

"What book was it?"

"I... I dont remember."

"Likely story. Guards, throw him into the cave spider pit. Start making the chairs at once. The barony of necromancerania will be most pleased at our new wares."

"Noooooo!"
A vile force of dark'ness has arrived, led by their champion Ebony Dark'ness Dementia Raven Way.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2011, 11:03:40 pm »

Who else is going to go Inqisition on some dwarves?

"Okay, mister Noble, why do you not want us to export Limestone chairs?

"Well, er, um..."

"And why was mister totalyavamp accused by you when the murder of completeidiot took place, when totalyaghoul and soisanecromancer said that they where playing music down in there rooms with him, and you, on the other hand where no where to be seen?"

" Well, you see, I was reading a book in my study at the time of th-"

"What book was it?"

"I... I dont remember."

"Likely story. Guards, throw him into the cave spider pit. Start making the chairs at once. The barony of necromancerania will be most pleased at our new wares."

"Noooooo!"
What I got from this:
"Urist McSherrif has mandated the construction of Limestone Chairs."

Makbeth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2011, 11:06:26 pm »

I would laugh and laugh and laugh if the current [PUNISHMENT_EXEMPTION] token applied to the new justice system as much as it did the old one.

How did it apply (or not apply)?

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2011, 06:01:06 am »

Slaves to Helios: God of the Sun: Chapter II: Vampire Fortress: Histories of Glitter and Angst

But yeah, I am totally going to have a vampire sheriff who murders all the other dwarves and then frames the potash maker. Probably not going to oppress anyone specifically. Just run the fortress like an evil vampire lair.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2011, 08:00:03 am »

I'm curious if the punishments will be hardcoded (and capital), or if they'll be determined by race ethics or user-defined.

As in, can I decide that murder is not a capital crime and just sentence them to beatings or a prison sentence?
I know allowing a user-defined legal structure would be a lot of work, but it's fun to imagine a system that would allow for a *really* Communist fortress.

"Comrade Urist McWorker is accused of tantruming, the murder of five nobles, and public drunkenness."

"Place him in the Fortress Guards."

"Bourgeois pig Baron Urist McNoble has demanded a platinum throne."

"Bring forth the crossbow firing squad."

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2011, 09:25:29 am »

This development, and the possibility of migrant waves having less than community-spirited individuals, makes me think that I want to consider a sequential entrenching policy[1] for my various migrant waves, because right now I'm feeling paranoid about getting unexplained deaths.  I'm sure, once I experience it, I'll take it all with the same pinch of salt as I do with FB-appearance[2], but right now it's making my heart flutter with not a little trepidation... :)

I can't see myself accusing nobles, like I don't currently 'accidentally' designate nobles' bedrooms as magma-storage-tanks, but that doesn't mean I can't see the advantages.  (As well as the disadvantage, but YMMV, of the actual culprit being free to stalk the back-streets of this dwarven Whitechapel, unmolested.  (Which is more than can be said of the regular inhabitants of that dwarven Whitechapel, obviously.))

[1] Initial wave digs out a starter fort/living area, and buds and starts to fit out a further area.  When another migrant wave arrives, send everyone into this new area and leave the old one for the migrants.  Prior to the next migrant wave, get one or other of the existing colonies to dig out a new area so that they can move in so that their predecessors can move into their up-til-now current area, and shuffle along like that until the migrants are accommodated.  Extra challenges (airlock/dump-in-hole-and-reclaim) for any necessary material and goods transfer between isolated colonies, of course.  I also foresee my organising each living unit as being a bit like a subterranean courtyard (perhaps multi-Z, with balcony) with living quarters at one end, workshops at the other and all other needs satisfied in the middle, and with a panopticon-like compactness, insofar as lines of sight.  Hmmm, but what about the various military units?  Well, perhaps I could... <mumbles to self, you don't need more waffle about this, I'm, sure>.

[2] So, at least Toady is upping the ante, because all us veterans got a handle on land-defences to stop invaders, etc, and now they might come on flying mounts.  The occasional underground area became something to be easily dealt with, and then the current caverns came along.  Titans and other monsters might well have been considered blasé, and then along come Syndrome-giving FBs, etc..
Pages: [1] 2 3 4