Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Legal abuse in DF  (Read 19492 times)

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
Re: Legal abuse in DF
« Reply #30 on: November 09, 2011, 02:28:14 pm »

Finally, the liar skill will be valued!

I'm predicting some bugs right now:

a) Tame animals can be accused of crimes

Uirst McSheriff: Cow McMooMoo, Urist McAnimalDissector claims you are a vampire. What say you?
Cow: Moooo
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 09, 2011, 02:40:25 pm »

Uirst McSheriff: Cow McMooMoo, Urist McAnimalDissector claims you are a vampire. What say you?

Urist McSheriff: IT HUNGERS FOR DWARVEN BLOOD! KILL IT KILL IT KILL IT!
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 09, 2011, 02:59:18 pm »

Duck, Duck, Cancels lay eggs and quack: on trial.
Duck, Duck, weighed the same as a duck, therefore it floats, therefore it is made of wood.
Duck, Duck, has been sentenced to death by burning for engaging in the dark acts.
Duck, Duck, cancels swim and eat bread: on fire.
This is a blank sig.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #33 on: November 09, 2011, 04:39:05 pm »

Duck, Duck, weighed the same as a duck, therefore it floats, therefore it is made of wood.
Duck, Duck, has been sentenced to death by burning for engaging in the dark acts.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 09, 2011, 11:56:48 pm »

Do you really know so much about swallows ducks?

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 10, 2011, 12:23:13 am »

1) The "no announcement until the crime is reported" feature is counteracted by the obvious "SOCKS1!!1!1!1!!" bum rush.
This should be easier to overlook... but yeah, to work as intended, not only bodies, but also items should be able to be unknown to dwarves.
Clearly this means Toady should do that "corpses as containers" thing now.

2) Multiple witnesses will lead to multiple wrongful accusations.
Whoah, after so much examples I see now how much potential in buggyness holds in new justice feature. And this whole hidden crap will make very hard to see if what happened was supposed to happen or some bug got in. This will be like armourer position, only ten times worse.

And we will suffer new system for next few years after patching some most obvious bugs. I want to cry.
You vastly overestimate the bugginess of this. There will doubtless be imperfections, but there's no way it could be ten times the Armorer.
Finally, the liar skill will be valued!
I believe it already factors into trading.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 10, 2011, 09:08:05 am »

This is the forum I know and love.

Announce new feature = People trying to think of ways to abuse and weaponize the new feature.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 10, 2011, 09:15:50 am »

You vastly overestimate the bugginess of this. There will doubtless be imperfections, but there's no way it could be ten times the Armorer.

What was the armorer bug?
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 10, 2011, 09:44:26 am »

The arsenal dwarf.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

YetAnotherStupidDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 10, 2011, 12:55:16 pm »

Clearly this means Toady should do that "corpses as containers" thing now.
Don't give him ideas, this release is already late as is. :P

Okay, this was hyperbole, but really, I wonder... will Toady be forced to rollback this whole "hide deaths from player" bussiness?

On top of incredibly buggy military, Toady put arsenal dwarf. Theoretically, this position was to control and assign military equipment. In practice, it was wonderful bug obscuring tool. I fear same thing will happen here with new justice system.
Dwarf Fortress - where the primary reason to prevent death of your citizens is that it makes them more annoying then they were in life.

Makbeth

• Bay Watcher
  • His lower body is melted.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 10, 2011, 04:51:24 pm »

The Arsenal dwarf was a noble position that existed briefly in one of the early 0.31 builds.  You would tell him what equipment to assign to your military, and he would go off and sleep or take breaks instead, and your military would have to use their bare hands to fend off ambushes.  It was one of those rare ideas that were so obviously terrible that Toady ended up removing it after a couple versions.
Diso Faintpuzzles was born in 120.  Although accounts vary it is universally agreed that Diso was chosen by fate as the vanguard of destiny.

In the early spring of 143 Diso began wandering the wilds.

In the early spring of 143 Diso starved to death in the Horn of Striking.

Graebeard

• Bay Watcher
  • The reasonable penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 10, 2011, 05:08:02 pm »

Urist McSheriff: IT HUNGERS FOR DWARVEN BLOOD  DWARVES HUNGER FOR ITS BURGERS! KILL IT KILL IT KILL IT!

FIFY.  You know, when you think about it, we treat cows an awful lot like vampires treat us... 
At last, she is done.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #42 on: November 10, 2011, 05:54:52 pm »

Urist McSheriff: IT HUNGERS FOR DWARVEN BLOOD  DWARVES HUNGER FOR ITS BURGERS! KILL IT KILL IT KILL IT!

FIFY.  You know, when you think about it, we treat cows an awful lot like vampires treat us...

Vampires herd dwarves, breed them and use them for a sustainable food source?

Not happened. Yet. Someone will though. Prolly King DZA.

YetAnotherStupidDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 10, 2011, 06:09:49 pm »

(The Arsenal dwarf) was one of those rare ideas that were so obviously terrible that Toady ended up removing it after a couple versions.
No, reason for it was buggyness of military (and entire game in general) just after release. Unfortunately, Toady plans to bureaucratize us to death. Because, you know, player is not Armok, oh no, player is some vague govermental entity or whatever. So arsenal dorf (and bunch of new useless parasites) will be back, sooner or later. Only silver lining in all of this - considering Toady customs about game development, they will not come in any time soon.
Dwarf Fortress - where the primary reason to prevent death of your citizens is that it makes them more annoying then they were in life.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 10, 2011, 06:20:28 pm »

What happens if the Arsenal Dorf position is empty? No one equips anything?
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4