Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 32

Author Topic: Roll to Deathmatch- Round 3-16, Deadly Dungeons of Doom!  (Read 106496 times)

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Deathmatch- Round 2, Grapple in Gehenna
« Reply #240 on: December 10, 2011, 10:34:50 pm »

I'll vote Gatleos for most Lolzor-y death.

antlion12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: December 11, 2011, 04:19:39 am »

for badassness i have to go with Micelus who sold his soul and managed to inderctly kill someone while dead.

lolz death is gateleos for somehow decapitating himself.

Rockowl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: December 11, 2011, 06:02:38 am »

IMHO Micelus' choice to "sell his hide for a high price" was both unexpected, original and entertaining. Gatleos' suicide was lolzor-y alright, but it was also kinda derp. Micelus also had great effect on all other players with the healing potion, walls of flame, yadda yadda yadda. Could be called badass, too. Can I double-vote him? :P

Lord Allagon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: December 11, 2011, 10:19:26 am »

For most funny death Gatleos, and for most badass Micelus.
Quote from: narhiril
Quote from: Putnam
Yes, they do not need booze, they can work entirely off of water.
Freaks.
Quote from: Kaplahworm
Quote from: Garath
I'm pretty sure he'd move diagonally if he could.
You would think that, but the guy thought encasing himself in fire was a good idea.
Quote from: Jake
I therefore wish rectal cancer on your senior management.

Hitty40

• Bay Watcher
  • Poker face, motherfucker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: December 11, 2011, 10:57:59 am »

Question: If there were any items that were dropped in the last round(such as the swordchucks and sythe), can we call dibs on them? If so, I want them for next round.
Ho Ho Ho! I'm going to be sticking economic stone so far up your stockings, you'll be coughing up gemstone windows!
You see, when the devil comes on to your forums and begins dropping F bombs and shouts 'GIVE ALL YOUR WOMEN!', he's in a happy mood.
if there's lots of g's and z's, it's gobbo. If you don't really recognize it, it's human. if it's called Urist, it's dwarf.

BullDog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: December 11, 2011, 06:42:56 pm »

Almost got you, Spartan. :P

@Monk, I was thinking of Nethack when I typed that up. This should be interesting. :D

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: December 11, 2011, 09:26:37 pm »

Almost got you, Spartan. :P

@Monk, I was thinking of Nethack when I typed that up. This should be interesting. :D

I'm in a love-hate relationship with Nethack- namely, I love it, but she hates me. Mostly because I insist on spoiling myself the hard way- I have not yet gotten out of the Dungeons of Doom. Don't be surprised when everyone gets murdered by Giant Ants and Cockatrice :P

Question: If there were any items that were dropped in the last round(such as the swordchucks and sythe), can we call dibs on them? If so, I want them for next round.

Items don't carry over from round to round- clean slate for everyone. I do like having your position on the Leaderboard give you some slight edge going into the next round, though- I did it with item selection last round, but since this looks like it'll be a more traditional "pick a class" thing, I'm not sure how it'll play out. Maybe you'll get something based on start location, maybe I'll segregate class/item selection, I dunno.

The voting currently stands as follows- I probably won't be set for another day or two (assuming the forums don't die again) so voting remains open.

Most Entertaining Fatality- Gatleos 3 votes, Micelus 1 vote
Most Badass- Micelus 3 votes

Beardless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: December 11, 2011, 11:19:10 pm »

Huh. And here I thought I was going to be different for voting Micelus for Badass. Most Entertaining goes to Gatleos, surprise surprise. :D
So it turns out that dumping magma on skeletons is either a really bad idea or maybe like the best idea ever.

Theodolus

• Bay Watcher
  • Sing until your ears bleed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: December 12, 2011, 10:54:15 am »

Well, I'm going to have to follow the crowd on this one and agree that indirectly killing someone after you're dead is pretty damn badass. So Micelus. And how can self decapitation by sword-chuck not be considered hilarious?
Someday I'll find a hilarious quote and put it here...

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: December 12, 2011, 11:05:15 am »

I suppose my rally would have been better if I had taken someone with me.

(And at least I have proof that the RNG hates me! :) )

Anyway, congrats Bulldog, and props for surviving from the beginning!

Let's hear it for blood and guts next round!
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
Re: Roll to Deathmatch - Round 1, Historically Inaccurate Coliseum!
« Reply #250 on: December 12, 2011, 01:16:46 pm »

Whichever death wins will bestow ONE POINT upon the deceased, and ONE POINT on the killer
So, two points for me, then? :P
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Deathmatch - Round 1, Historically Inaccurate Coliseum!
« Reply #251 on: December 13, 2011, 01:37:36 am »

And now, the results of the first ever Roll to Deathmatch Viewers Choice Awards...

Most Entertaining Fatality- GATLEOS! Let's face it, we all knew he was going to win this as soon as he chose Swordchucks as his starting weapon. Fun fact- the Swordchucks dealt 10 damage to opponents, and 2 damage to its wielders- however, they would have dealt more if Gatleos had had more than one HP at his time of death. Gatleos receives ONE POINT for the amusing death, and the fickle RNG receives ONE POINT for the amusing fatality.

Most Badass- MICELUS! Death was not enough to prevent Micelus from wreaking havoc on the arena, and indirectly killing Jacen! For not having the sense to know when he's dead, Micelus wins TWO POINTS!

ROUND THREE: THE DEADLY DUNGEONS OF DOOM

It should be a dungeon, filled with deadly traps and dangerous monsters, as well as cursed and enchanted items. The spectator should be a wizard, who should teleport in randomly and cast various spells. In addition to picking a item, the players should choose a class, either fighter, thief or mage.

The next arena borrows more than a little from Nethack, which is to say, it may well be a ludicrously deadly comedy of errors. There are three main wrinkles this arena will introduce...

1) EXPLORATION- The map/movement mechanic from the previous round is being expanded upon. Each player will start alone in a different room, and while you'll be aware of one another's explorations you won't be able to see what is going on in the entire map. So, while you may know where a given player was and how to get there, you won't be certain whether a random monster has wandered in, or set a trap, or dropped an item. In addition, rooms may also contain secret passages- you can search manually with a standard Roll, and some items let you automatically search.

2) ITEM IDENTIFICATION- Up until now, you've always known the effects of what the items you find are. Not anymore! Many items have regular abilities- swords tend to be +1 attack, for example. Magical swords might have extra effects, however, and cursed swords may be detrimental in some way. You can identify an item with a scroll of identify, by praying at an alter, or the old-fashioned way- using it!

3) TRAPS- Traps are the world's way of telling you to go screw yourself. It is assumed that all creatures are moving around somewhat in their space- if a room has a hidden trap in it, it rolls against each creature in the room, based on their turn order. Traps may also be linked to specific triggers, such as a lever, chest, or door. Both types of traps allow their target to make a roll to dodge the trap's effect. Hidden traps can be discovered by making a search roll, at which point you will be immune to activating random hidden traps, though you'll still activate triggered traps if you set them off.

As a minor final note, this arena has no time limit- instead, it is more a race to find the Amulet of Yendor. Capturing the Amulet immediately ends the round, regardless of whatever actions were supposed to happen after the finder's turn, and whoever finds it is rewarded with a whopping TWENTY POINTS.

But enough of that nonsense- it's time for CHARACTER GENERATION! Each player picks a class, which gives them an innate benefit in the game. Then, each player chooses one of the available items- Bullldog and G have precedence when choosing items. Once they're taken, they're gone- you can still take the class, but you'll just have some gold instead. Each class comes with generic items.

Fighter- Fighters are all about combat- they start with 10/15 hitpoints instead of 10/10. In addition to a basic melee weapon, Fighters may start with one of these items:

Longsword- Your standard, steady sword- grants +1 on attack rolls.

Mithril Armor- This lightweight armor makes the wearer immune to debuffs inflicted by failed dodge rolls (no help against aimed attacks, though)

Ring of Regeneration- This magical ring steadily restores your hitpoints, at the rate of 1 HP every three turns (So, assuming you don't take it off, turns 3, 6, 9, etc)

Rogue- Rogues are stealthy folks who aren't the best in a fight, but are well suited to surviving the rigors of dungeon exploration. Rogues get a +2 bonus to dodging traps. Rogues start with a set of throwing daggers, and may also start with one of the following items:

Amulet of ESP- You are able to detect the thoughts of intelligent creatures. This allows you to detect and attack invisible creatures without penalty, and also warns you of creatures in adjoining rooms. It does not help against unthinking creatures, such as slimes and zombies.

Cloak of Magic Resistance- This cloak gives you resistance to magical spells and effects, in the form of a +2 bonus when dodging them.

Poisoned Dagger- As last round's item- needless to say, it messes folks up. It is worth noting that this dungeon will likely have more ways to resist the poison's effects, however.

Mage- Mages get Magic, of course! They can learn spells from spellbooks, whereas the other classes need to use an item or scroll. Casting a spell is a Standard Roll, with various effects depending on the spell. All Mages start with a spellbook of Force Bolt (same as last round), and may also start with one of these items:

Spellbook of Teleport- Teleport only works on creatures, not items. You can choose not to designate a destination, in which case the target will teleport randomly. On a 1, the target and caster take one damage each. On a 3, you teleport the target randomly, and on a 4 and 5 you teleport the target to the specified location. On a 6, the target contracts Teleportitis.

Spellbook of Magic Missile- Fires Magic Missiles, which make attacks against targets with a +1 bonus. If the attack rolls a natural one, it ricochets against a random creature in the same room. On a 1, you hit yourself with a single missile. On a 3 you shoot one missile, on a 4 you shoot two, and on a 5 you shoot three. On a six, you shoot three missiles, and every missile will ricochet at least once.

Spellbook of Protection- Grants a temporary dodge bonus to the target. On a 1, incurs a -1 penalty until end of turn. On a 3, +1 until end of turn. On a 4, +1 until end of next turn. On a 5, +2 until end of next turn. On a 6, target gets +2 dodge AND -1 attack until end of next turn.

I've still got to map the arena, but we should be underway soon enough. I'd have it done now, but I've been slightly distracted. That link is also why I may be slightly incoherent, as I've been looping for... 2 hours now, so please speak up if I'm unclear.

Spoiler: Leaderboard (click to show/hide)

Dave1004

• Bay Watcher
  • This is getting personal.
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Deathmatch- Round 2, Winner- BULLDOG
« Reply #252 on: December 13, 2011, 02:01:15 am »

This is amazing. I cannot wait until everybody who's playing dies. I want in! :/...
« Last Edit: December 13, 2011, 02:09:34 am by Dave1004 »

Hardcap of 200 MB/24 hours.

BullDog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: December 13, 2011, 12:18:00 pm »

hm... Mage with Protection.

This is amazing. I cannot wait until everybody who's playing dies. I want in! :/...

I don't think you have long to wait. :P
« Last Edit: December 13, 2011, 12:21:45 pm by BullDog »

antlion12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: December 13, 2011, 03:39:30 pm »

Fighter with Mithril Armor
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 32