Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 32

Author Topic: Roll to Deathmatch- Round 3-16, Deadly Dungeons of Doom!  (Read 106476 times)

BullDog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Deathmatch- Round 2, Grapple in Gehenna
« Reply #210 on: December 06, 2011, 01:47:36 am »

Welcome to the forum!

I'll probably join you on the waiting list soon.  :P

Rockowl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: December 06, 2011, 07:39:54 am »

Thanks! By the way, I wonder if it would be a balanced/sensible idea to have players choose between light, medium or heavy characters. Light means more rolls or perhaps a damage and dodge modifier, whereas heavy has more hitpoints/armor value. But eh, on the other side, why change something that works? :)

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: December 06, 2011, 10:21:39 pm »

Lurking no more, from the night comes forth to slay, in the name of glory, in the name of honor...

A challenger appears!

...on the waitlist.

Obligatory first-post intro: Hey guys, I've played DF for a month or three, took a break but found myself on bay12 for some reason reading stories and games like these because they're really awesome and stuff. Didn't really have a reason to register until now. I like games, Tarantino movies and enjoy listening to pretty much any kind of music as long as it's good. Favorites include Foo Fighters and Moby. btw, I've read monk's pokeyman story too. Yeah, that's pretty much it. I'd like to join the waitlist!

Hullo Rockowl, welcome to the waitlist and the forums! I'm Monk, I'll be your GM for this thread- tonight's special is bloody melee and death with a side dish of fickle RNG. Enjoy your stay!

Thanks! By the way, I wonder if it would be a balanced/sensible idea to have players choose between light, medium or heavy characters. Light means more rolls or perhaps a damage and dodge modifier, whereas heavy has more hitpoints/armor value. But eh, on the other side, why change something that works? :)

Part of how I'm running this is to have a modular design where I can graft on new rules for the round, which in theory will keep the game mechanics fresh from round to round. Which is to say that, if the setting is appropriate, class systems and what all else will make an appearance sooner or later. Win a round, you can suggest it yourself :P

Speaking of winning a round, turn up soon

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Deathmatch- Round 2, Turn 8/10
« Reply #213 on: December 06, 2011, 11:14:09 pm »

...I got embarrassingly far into this update before realizing Hitty40 hasn't posted an action yet. WHUPS.

Turn up once he posts, or Tomorrow (maybe Thursday morn, depending how my schedule shakes out.)

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Deathmatch- Round 2, Turn 8/10
« Reply #214 on: December 08, 2011, 01:51:06 pm »

TURN EIGHT OF TEN
In which Micelus has his revenge

Slash the death knight with the sword then twice with the axe. If it is dead then slash jacen with the axe if he is here, else transport to the sw and catch a soul.

Bulldog raises his sword and strikes at the Death Knight, [6]vs[1], stabbing through its helmet and clear out the other side! Dark, spectral energies pulse as the substance of the Death Knight violently collapses into the helmet! Bulldog receives FIVE POINTS for slaying the Death Knight and TWO health!

Sheathing his sword, Bulldog unlimbers his axe and slashes at Jacen! [2]+1-1vs[6]-2 Jacen stumbles back, avoiding the attack!

Slash death knight twice, then run the the southwest. Attempt to keep lunch in stomach.

[6] Since the Death Knight is already slain, Jacen flees to the South-West! He not only keeps his lunch in his stomach, he also keeps his captured SOUL there!

Do Nothing.

[4] G dodges the fires raging around him, and decides to do nothing.

Spartan raised his hand and fired a point blank Force Bolt into G.

Spartan runs to the South-East, picking his way through the fire carefully before attacking G! [1] Spartan trips as he approaches G, leaving himself vulnerable to counterattack! [1] G, however, is too busy staring blankly into empty space, and is an easy target! [4]-1vs[1] Spartan Force Bolts G in the side of the head, dealing TWO damage and imposing a -1 attack/dodge rolls for the rest of the round!

There is a Poisoned Dagger, a Musket(7 ammo)-needs reloading, and a pair of Haunted Swordchucks in the North-East. In the North-West is a Potion of Healing.

DEMONS DON'T DANCE

The Balrog [1] steps right in a big glob of magical green fire, taking THREE damage! Roaring in pain and rage, he attacks Spartan [5]+1vs[2] with his sword, dealing FOUR damage as the blazing blade slices Spartan's shoulder!

DAMMIT MICELUS!

The rainbow of runes in the North-East slows its whirlwind pace, finally settling on Yellow. Once again, light seems to flow and merge into a tiny, incandescent ball before EXPLODING into a sheet of flame that sears the disk!

Oh Shit!

Bulldog is at the epicenter, and receives a -1 penalty to his dodge roll!

Bulldog is directly beneath the the inferno, [6]-1 but remembering Sinpwn's solution he quickly teleports the incoming fire away!

Spartan and G are one segment away from the blast, and thus receive no special bonus or penalty to their dodge rolls!

Spartan [5] easily ducks the wall of fire, taking no damage!
G [4] dives away from the sheet of flame, avoiding damage!
The Balrog [5], being a creature of flame and shadow, shrugs off this mundane threat in much the same manner a man shrugs off the rainfall!

Jacen is extremely far away from the epicenter, and receives a +1 bonus to his dodge roll!

Jacen [2]+1 is able to see the fire racing towards him in just enough time to react, diving the ground! The flames scour his back for ONE damage!

The wildly shifting colors in the North-West slow and stop, once again settling on Blue! Blue swirls of energy mix and swirl in the air, coalescing into a Potion of Healing! This magical potion can heal five points of damage- since there is nobody in the North-West to claim it, it lies unattended on the ground!

The runes in the South-West gradually settle on Green! Magical green fire engulfs the segment- nobody is there to care about it, but now the entire Southern section of the disk is on fire!

The runes in the South-East seem to accelerate before abruptly stopping on Blue! The magical energy of the runes pours into two distinct points, before finally manifesting as a pair of Soul Jars! These mystical containers draw souls into them, providing the wielder with a +1 bonus on soul-catching rolls! Spartan and G are both standing in the South-East, and they each gain possession of a jar!

The runes in the Center stop on Yellow! For a third time, a blazing inferno forms on the disk, exploding outward!

Oh Shit!

Nobody is in the Center, and so nobody receives a penalty to their dodge roll!

Bulldog is caught somewhat off-guard by the approaching wall of flame, [6] and drops to his belly as the fire blazes past! He avoids damage, but his prone position makes him vulnerable, to the tune of -1 dodge rolls until his next action!
Spartan [3] turns his back to the fire, protecting his vital areas but taking ONE damage as the fire burns his backside!
G [4] rolls under the sheet of flame, avoiding damage!
The Balrog [4] still does not give a farthing about the fires, though they are starting to become tiresome.

SECONDARY OBJECTIVE- WHO YA GONNA CALL?- Whoever captures the most souls receives FIVE points!
Spoiler: Balrog (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Crypt-Keeper (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Soul Locations (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Map (click to show/hide)

-----------------------------------------------------------------
JACEN
Currently: Surprisingly alive in the South-West
HP- 1/10
Inventory- Tattered Garments, Scythe, ONE Soul!
Spells- Force Bolt
Status- Leg- Serious Wound
G
Currently: AFK in the South-East
HP- 8/10
Inventory-  Tattered Garments, Soul Jar
Spells- Force Bolt, Fireball
Status- Head- Moderate Wound
RIP Micelus, who is rather miffed that clerical error spared Jacen his wrath
SPARTAN
Currently: Taking truly unfortunate amounts of damage in the South-East
HP- 5/10
Inventory- Tattered Garments, Amulet of Spell Resistance, Soul Jar
Spells- Force Bolt
Status- Normal
BULLDOG
Currently: Belly down in the North-East
HP- 5/10
Inventory- Tattered Garments, Greataxe, Razor Armor, Lifedrinker
Spells- Force Bolt, Teleport
Status- Prone

Spoiler: Round Score (click to show/hide)

***TWO TURNS LEFT***
« Last Edit: December 08, 2011, 02:36:23 pm by monk12 »

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: December 08, 2011, 01:56:21 pm »

I thought I had just ran to the southwest.
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: December 08, 2011, 02:04:16 pm »

Fun fact- Jacen is the first person to be killed directly by the arena! He finished this run rolling an average of 3.4  Want me to throw you on the waitlist, Jacen?

I've pm'd Hitty40- if we don't get an action from him by Saturday then he'll be removed from play.

Finally, I've reworked the Leaderboard (again.) Besides being a bit more readable, it now also tracks how long a player has been alive in the Arena- this number is now the primary way to break ties. Bulldog is now the only remaining player from Round One, Turn One, giving him a solid grip on the leaderboard.

EDIT: Dammit, yes you did. So, instead of 2-1 you get 2+1 for that roll, which means you only take 1 damage, which means YOU ARE STILL ALIVE! Technically this means you should have had to dodge both the green fire and the second disk nuke, but since it was my screwup you get a pass.

EDIT2: Alright, that should be all squared away now. Good thing I'm an adept at the mystical art of Retconjouration.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2011, 02:12:33 pm by monk12 »

Hitty40

• Bay Watcher
  • Poker face, motherfucker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: December 08, 2011, 02:25:48 pm »

Strafe towards the potion, cast Fireball to the SW.
Ho Ho Ho! I'm going to be sticking economic stone so far up your stockings, you'll be coughing up gemstone windows!
You see, when the devil comes on to your forums and begins dropping F bombs and shouts 'GIVE ALL YOUR WOMEN!', he's in a happy mood.
if there's lots of g's and z's, it's gobbo. If you don't really recognize it, it's human. if it's called Urist, it's dwarf.

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: December 08, 2011, 07:35:42 pm »

Heal myself through sheer will.
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.

BullDog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: December 09, 2011, 12:33:57 am »

Run to the NW then pick up and drink the potion. If G is here, then double slash him. Else transport his soul jar to me then run to SW and slash Jacen.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: December 09, 2011, 12:34:17 am »

G is responsible for over 40% of the remaining player hit points- if he gets modkilled, there could easily be a player wipe or a last man standing.  Can you win the round even if you die?
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Rockowl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: December 09, 2011, 01:20:13 am »

Erm, just throwing this out... I believe the Balrog is an easy kill at the moment, with only TWO health left! He's worth 5 points guys, FINISH HIM!

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: December 09, 2011, 12:44:01 pm »

G is responsible for over 40% of the remaining player hit points- if he gets modkilled, there could easily be a player wipe or a last man standing.  Can you win the round even if you die?

I've decided that yes, you can, but you don't get to advance to the next round. This will inevitably lead to the situation where the round winner will attempt to come up with some horrifyingly deadly arena to cycle him through the waitlist faster :P

Erm, just throwing this out... I believe the Balrog is an easy kill at the moment, with only TWO health left! He's worth 5 points guys, FINISH HIM!

Pfft, next you'll be saying they should pursue secondary objectives. Crazy talk.

Rockowl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: December 09, 2011, 04:48:31 pm »

Ya, except one move of tackling/heelslashing the balrog, toppling him over on top of Jacen (and others) and getting 15 points, could yank Hitty40 from 3rd place to tied with Bulldog on first place. And that's just one move, too. There's always the risk of his probably massive weight giving you a nice crunchy hug, though.

Insane, quite suicidal and more likely to kill about half the arena than not... What are you waiting for?

Spartan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: December 09, 2011, 09:11:41 pm »

Blast Bulldog with a Force Bolt and run to grab the Healing potion for myself
@ Spartan - For some reason I am imaging you as Master Chief sitting at a computer drinking tea, and eating cookies. I don't know why
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 32