Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]

Author Topic: Release the new build!  (Read 23997 times)

Unnoskol

• Bay Watcher
  • Stryk teh erth!
    • View Profile
Re: Release the new build!
« Reply #105 on: November 23, 2011, 08:03:12 am »

Clean up the code; tie up all the loose ends and release 0.31.26 already! I can't wait till next year!

I cn't afford the next update to come up this year. I need to buy a new PC first.

Kamamura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: January 02, 2012, 08:26:03 am »

Ad topic - I would at least like to now if a specific feature-complete version is aimed for release. In software development, branching is usually used (FreeBSD) - you add and add features to the current(cutting edge) version, until the team decides it is time for a release, so the release version is branched, feature-frozen, and beta tested and polished, until it's stable and bug-free enough for a release. Meanwhile, the current branch continues to grow and get more features. Wesnoth, for example, uses this model too.

I understand it's hardly possible when there is only one developer who is motivated mainly in adding new and new features (and does not want to do the testing/troubleshooting work).

However, under this model, is it at all possible to have a public release? It will be a year soon...
The entire content consists of senseless murder, a pile of faceless naked women and zero regard for human life in general, all in the service of the protagonist's base impulses. It is clearly a cry for help from a neglected, self absorbed and disempowered juvenile badly in need of affectionate guidance. What a sad, sad display.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: January 02, 2012, 08:58:46 am »

Quote from: ToadyOne
Thanks for another great December, a great year and for your patience as we approach the release of the next version of Dwarf Fortress.  The absolute best case would be getting it up on January 15th.  Standing in the way of that we have the list reduced from last month:  five quest issues, around thirty miscellaneous issues, map maintenance, optimization of the new stuff, sponsorship critters and incorporation of Baughn's fixes to the SDL stuff.  The map maintenance, optimization, and sponsorship stuff have the highest chance of bogging me down, and each of those three could add a week a piece, say, which would put us just into February.  In either case, we'll have a release up before long, and you will get to run around town and have your dwarves tormented by the undead.

From http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=98355.0#new

Kamamura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: January 02, 2012, 09:02:17 am »

Okay, thank you, my bad.
The entire content consists of senseless murder, a pile of faceless naked women and zero regard for human life in general, all in the service of the protagonist's base impulses. It is clearly a cry for help from a neglected, self absorbed and disempowered juvenile badly in need of affectionate guidance. What a sad, sad display.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: January 02, 2012, 09:14:00 am »

Ad topic - I would at least like to now if a specific feature-complete version is aimed for release. In software development, branching is usually used (FreeBSD) - you add and add features to the current(cutting edge) version, until the team decides it is time for a release, so the release version is branched, feature-frozen, and beta tested and polished, until it's stable and bug-free enough for a release. Meanwhile, the current branch continues to grow and get more features. Wesnoth, for example, uses this model too.

I understand it's hardly possible when there is only one developer who is motivated mainly in adding new and new features (and does not want to do the testing/troubleshooting work).

However, under this model, is it at all possible to have a public release? It will be a year soon...
Well, Toady does feature release, followed by a series of bug fix release, with the feature release containing bug fixes.

There have been mention of select group who got to test out the 2010 DF, but nothing been said, that they've been employed for this release. Though its presumable that ThreeToe plays Daily Builds of some sort. I wouldn't be shocked with Capntastic or the other bloke on DF Talk also gets to play a daily build from time to time.

As for the current pending release,  there loads of new features, probably loads of background changes for future features. Nightcreatures have gotten more polish. Human towns are suppose to be greatly improved, with sewers ect. Ect ect. Lots of new features, polish on older features ect. And you can see a nice neat collection of the known improvements for this release right here:
https://docs.google.com/document/pub?id=1u8jibE1TV7BAwAI2b4TzRkWFlBboLiXMrVBhYmDYPhI&pli=1

Its really hard to say, if any of those new features are complete. If you can give an operational definition of it, that'll make it easier to answer. If you mean, complete as in not worked on again. Then no, its fairly probable, that that all those new features will see tweaks, iterations, and changes. Either from new features being implemented, where past features have to incorporate/take advantage of or from bug fixes of the numerous interconnected systems changing how they were working.

Release 1 from here: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?action=post;quote=2872942;topic=96139.105;last_msg=2872942 Will defiantly be done, as far as its goals is concern.

After this release, as we've seen with past releases, it'll go into a state of near feature freeze. It'll be mostly bug fixes, but from time to time, we'll see something new added in there.

By chance, do you keep up with the development of DF? ToadyOne does a pretty good job about keeping the community updated about his work on the game, with the Dev Log, and Future of the Fortress thread.

ToadyOne, according to the Monthly Report, states he feels that they're still on track for a Jan. 15th release, but optimization, map upkeep and 2010 Animal Drive,  may push it into February. Historically, ToadyOne hasn't been able to predict release dates. At the very least, soon, probably before March.

Also, there been lots of public releases for DF.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Kamamura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: January 02, 2012, 12:54:46 pm »

I have been reading the past reports, but not the most recent one. I was just worried, because I kept reading about new and new and new features, and it's over 9 months without release. As I said, my mistake. Please feel free to cleave my head open and feast on my corpse.

Stargrasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: January 02, 2012, 02:33:12 pm »

This wait isn't bad at all...we waited a little over a year and a half from 40d to 31.01.

40d - 9/8/08
31.01 - 4/1/10
1yr 6m 25d

Just have patience...Toady will release in due time.  He has a tendency to bite off more than he can chew when it comes to planning for releases, but my understanding was that he does plan exactly what he wants in a release ahead of time.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: January 02, 2012, 05:54:39 pm »

ToadyOne seems to chronically suffer from Feature Creep, but... it always seem like reasonable Feature Creep.

YetAnotherStupidDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: January 02, 2012, 06:12:47 pm »

This is why feature creep exists. Because it sounds reasonable to add just a little more. Just... a... little... teensy... weeensy... more...
My release estimation: March. And a special bet on 1st April. Eheheh.
Dwarf Fortress - where the primary reason to prevent death of your citizens is that it makes them more annoying then they were in life.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: January 02, 2012, 08:01:18 pm »

All of the feature creep for this release, was to make we were getting, actually interesting and worthwhile. To make the release actually fun.

Socializator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Fortress CZ
« Reply #115 on: January 03, 2012, 05:18:12 am »

All of the feature creep for this release, was to make we were getting, actually interesting and worthwhile. To make the release actually fun.

But problem of the feature creep are not the features itself. It is the associated bugs and general mess which makes feature creep an anti-pattern. I would prefer more releases but with fewer creatures (edit: features, not creatures). if for nothing else than more feedback for Toady. After all, he has a huge potential pool of beta testers available (for free).
« Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 08:03:34 am by Socializator »
Navštivte českou Dwarf Fortress komunitu a fanpage!

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: January 03, 2012, 06:48:49 pm »

Gah I'm getting anxious for the new release myself to now.

Hurry up Toady One, I'm eager to see what you've made.  :D

Silophant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: January 04, 2012, 12:19:10 pm »

As much as I agree with you, Jelle, I'd be thrilled to see one more piece of creep: the random stone/metals. Anything else, not so much.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: January 04, 2012, 01:17:54 pm »

Edit. Wrong thread >_>
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]