Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Taking the "Crime" out of "Liberal Crime Squad"...  (Read 30111 times)

Neon Green

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Taking the "Crime" out of "Liberal Crime Squad"...
« Reply #30 on: November 02, 2012, 06:22:34 pm »

I've made a few attempts on the no seduction+no crime+no active recruits challenge, and I'm having dissapointing progress. I've had the founder write to newspapers with 15 skill and seven fireman sleeper agents promoting liberalism with effectiveness between 60% and 80% for about seven years, and public opinion on expanding free speech is sitting at 0%. I've had other laws (Gun control and Nuclear power) briefly go to C (and once M), but free speech is a difficult one. Is there a better sleeper for free speech than firemen, or a better activity than newspaper writing?
I'm actually not sure if Firemen affect issues at all as sleepers. I know firefighters do, from the code:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

But I'm not sure if Firemen are included in that. If they're not included as Firefighters, then they each affect a random issue, and not Free Speech specifically. Seems like this code is for if you have firefighter sleepers, then the free speech issue drops to C+, then suddenly they start adding power, but they do nothing otherwise. Again, still not sure if Firemen are included in Firefighters (though I doubt it).

It seems like the best ones to have for free speech would be Agents, Conservative Judges, and Actors (they all affect Free Speech laws, in addition to others). Also it seems like Radio Personalities and New Anchors affect most, if not all, of the issues (if I'm reading this right). But they lose power as people lose trust in AM Radio and Cable News, respectively.

CREATURE_FIREFIGHTER is the same thing as firemen; the game changes the displayed title and skill/weapon loadout if free speech is archconservative when the creature is created, but they're otherwise identical.

This isn't the only situation where the displayed type is distinct from the actual underlying type, and in most (all?) cases the displayed type is not used internally.

BoxOfAids

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 02, 2012, 07:24:31 pm »

Ah, well that's good to know. So in any case, it seems like Firemen/fighters only affect free speech if the issue is at full C+. So that may make it easy to get it up to C, but from there it's more likely to drop back down to C+ than it is to go up to M if all you're doing for trying to get it up is use Firemen sleepers. As for why it would be at 0% with that many sleepers and strong writing skill, that is in fact a mystery to me.

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
« Reply #32 on: November 03, 2012, 01:33:29 am »

I didn't implement the Firemen, but I believe that the Firemen are a subset of the CREATURE_FIREFIGHTER creature type, so would act the same as Firefighters when made into sleepers.

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 03, 2012, 01:05:35 pm »

Having researced the underlying mechanics of the game, it appears that actors are the best way to go. From what I can determine, the effect that a sleeper has on an issue is the sum of their charisma, heart, persuasion and intelligence, with some professions adding their relevant skill to the mix. However, some professions have multipliers - CEOs and eminent scientists have a 10x multiplier, Deathsqauds, Educators and Military officers have a 3x multiplier, and Actors, gang units, seals and military police have a 2x multiplier. However, actors are the only ones in that list that have an effect on free speech.

Given that, I'm going to try again, but this time recruiting actors. I'll probably only accept those that have a combined HRT, CHA, INT and PER of 20 or above, get seven of them, and see how things go.

FritzPL

• Bay Watcher
  • Changing avatar text since 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 21, 2012, 11:46:17 am »

I'm doing pretty well with a little modified strategy:

I keep the printing press, tailor squad, seduction.
I first recruit 2-3 Fashion Designers.
Then, I go for 1-2 Actors and 3 College Students/Authors.
I train them to get high disguise, security and optionally some dodge if I fuck up and alienate the masses or pick locks with conservatives looking.
I also get one Programmer to keep me updated on opinion polls.

I basically call this game style 'Become America's #1 Cheap Suit Producer Today!'

Alpheus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 21, 2012, 07:33:32 pm »

Isn't plotting against the government illegal?

Or heck... Just being the LCS in Nightmare mode (where they likely repealed the "right of association") illegal in esssence?

Thoughtcrime & Thought Police would be a funny thing to add or make optional, like have a mind reading mode.

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 22, 2012, 08:51:37 am »

Having researced the underlying mechanics of the game, it appears that actors are the best way to go. From what I can determine, the effect that a sleeper has on an issue is the sum of their charisma, heart, persuasion and intelligence, with some professions adding their relevant skill to the mix. However, some professions have multipliers - CEOs and eminent scientists have a 10x multiplier, Deathsqauds, Educators and Military officers have a 3x multiplier, and Actors, gang units, seals and military police have a 2x multiplier. However, actors are the only ones in that list that have an effect on free speech.

Given that, I'm going to try again, but this time recruiting actors. I'll probably only accept those that have a combined HRT, CHA, INT and PER of 20 or above, get seven of them, and see how things go.
I'm not having much success with this strategy. I have seven actor sleepers, each with a combined HRT,CHA,INT and PER of over 25, but after several years of trying I can't get free speech support high enough. I'm going to have to either get more sleepers or get rid of the CCS, if I'm going to have any chance of success. Either way, I'm probably going to have to use the seduction skill.

Secuding/Recruiting the Hardened veteran is something I'll have to build the character around (after getting high INT).
Spoiler: seduction mechanics (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: recruiting mechanics (click to show/hide)
Both routes have their ups and downs. Going down the seduction route would mean that I can keep my seven actor sleepers, but it would mean breaking my code of conduct on no seduction. Going down the persuasion route would mean I can keep no seduction, but it would also mean I have to only have five actors (one sleeper to give the CCS safehouse location, one sleeper as the CCS boss). The only way to get around this would be to turn the sleeper into a full member, then immediately disband them.

Even if I get my hands on the CCS backer list, there is still the question of what to do with it. Publishing it would result in a free speech crime, though I might make an exception for this one case.

Even if I can get rid of the CCS, there's no guarantee that that will allow me to succeed. I might start a new game with the CCS disabled and see if I can make progress before trying one of the above.

Also, could someone point me to where exactly "skill_roll" and "attribute_roll" are defined in the code? Knowing where 'LCSrandom' is defined would also be very useful.

EDIT: Come to think of it, where are the effects from writing to newspapers detialed? I couldn't find anything in daily/daily.cpp, or daily/activities.cpp
« Last Edit: November 22, 2012, 09:42:09 am by ed boy »

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 24, 2012, 10:01:33 am »

For those who are interested, I've hunted down the code that I wanted in the above post:
Spoiler: code (click to show/hide)
I'm therefore going to try again. I'm going to skill up my founder to max tailoring (for money),  decent business, religion, science and law, max persuasion (for recruiting), and good disguise (to get into the gentlemen's club.
I'm going to build up lots of money via tailoring. I'll then skill up (as detailed above), then go to the gentleman's club. Once at the gentleman's club, I'll hunt for news anchors and radio personalities. I'll try to get three anchors and two personalities. If one of them is also a member of the CCS and gives me their location, I'll recruit a third personality. If not, I'll recruit a hick to tell me the location. Once I have the location, my final recruit will be the CCS boss. At that point, I'll savescum, and try to finish the game in as pure a way as possible.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2012, 04:57:30 am by ed boy »

BoxOfAids

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 25, 2012, 02:45:22 pm »

Regarding the seduction mechanincs, does Psychology affect Seduction at all? How much Seduction/other stats should I have to get Radio Personalities and New Anchors? I have a founder with 14HRT, 22 CHA, 14 Seduction, 4 Business, 2 Science, 2 Psychology, and 1 Religion, and I can't even get either one to stay for a second date. Is it just too low Seduction, or what?

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 25, 2012, 03:31:25 pm »

Well apparently, having the same skills as your target increases the chance of them staying, even more so if your religion, business or science rolls beat the target's. Psychology doesn't matter.

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 25, 2012, 04:57:31 pm »

Regarding the seduction mechanincs, does Psychology affect Seduction at all? How much Seduction/other stats should I have to get Radio Personalities and New Anchors? I have a founder with 14HRT, 22 CHA, 14 Seduction, 4 Business, 2 Science, 2 Psychology, and 1 Religion, and I can't even get either one to stay for a second date. Is it just too low Seduction, or what?
Are you spending the money? You only get the bonus for similar levelled skills if you're spending the money. Your heart only comes into play when you've avoided the break up. If you're not getting to the second date, it means that your roll isn't beating the target's roll.

News anchors can easily have wisdoms well into the teens, and they will have their roll multiplied by 1.5

If you pay money, you add 3 to your roll for every non-zero skill of yours that is between half and double their level in the same skill.

If the target has a non-zero level in science, religion or business, then both character's rolls are increased by their respective levels in those skills.

Keep in mind that there are diminishing returns for having obscenely high charisma and seduction. Your roll on that cannot exceed eighteen, and increased skills and stats just bias the results more and more towards the higher scores. If you want to go for the premium targets, then you can't rely on a high skill for the base roll - the additional bonuses are a lot more important.

Unfortunatly, since the skills that anchors and personalities are a lot more variable than the CCS bosses, it's a lot harder to predict what they will have and therefore a lot harder to predict what skills to train to what levels. The best advice I can give is to train lots and lots of skills to a level of 2, and always spend the extra money.

In my experience, however, recruiting them via persuasion is a lot more reliable. persuasion is a lot higher to grind up, and you can train the relevant skills nice and high without worrying about them getting too high.

BoxOfAids

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 25, 2012, 06:18:24 pm »

Stuff

Good information, I hadn't been spending the money, I just gave up and recruited instead (much easier). Now my seduction is at 19, plenty of room for more love slaves!

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 28, 2012, 11:00:29 am »

I've been doing some tests, and I think I've determined how to do the no crime/no seduction method. I'm pretty sure that this is the only possible method - I can't think of any others.
Spoiler: method (click to show/hide)

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 28, 2012, 11:31:49 am »

Doesn't retrieving the backer's list already involve hacking the supercomputer?

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 28, 2012, 01:53:04 pm »

Doesn't retrieving the backer's list already involve hacking the supercomputer?
I believe it can also be done by getting the CCS boss as a sleeper, and looking for evidence. Given that that would result in a juice gain, he will be deactivated afterwards and never used again.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4