Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Taking the "Crime" out of "Liberal Crime Squad"...  (Read 29899 times)

Callista

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Taking the "Crime" out of "Liberal Crime Squad"...
« on: November 09, 2011, 05:30:47 am »

The challenge: Liberalize the country, starting from Nightmare mode (CCS optional) without ever breaking the law. This includes breaking the law whether or not anybody sees you doing it, whether or not it goes on your record. So, no unlocking doors, no being where you're not supposed to be, no kidnapping, no graffiti, no public disturbances... which means no Juice, not for a long time. Even playing the guitar to the Conservatives generates loitering charges, so that wasn't allowed either.

Yes, it's possible...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Do other possible strategies exist?
« Last Edit: November 09, 2011, 05:34:50 am by Callista »

Elodie Hiras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Taking the "Crime" out of "Liberal Crime Squad"...
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2011, 07:28:14 am »

I think sleepers snooping around don't count as a crime, if they get caught, they are just fired.

Apart from that, I knew it was possible, but incredibly boring.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2011, 08:16:08 am »

Isn't plotting against the government illegal?

Or heck... Just being the LCS in Nightmare mode (where they likely repealed the "right of association") illegal in esssence?

Coronel_Niel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2011, 11:21:52 am »

"What was amusing about all of this was that killing off the CCS generated a lot of Heat without ever causing anybody to get charged with anything; so the safehouse was raided three times in total"

"his includes breaking the law whether or not anybody sees you doing it, whether or not it goes on your record."

Herp.

Bardum Idith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2011, 12:51:32 pm »

"What was amusing about all of this was that killing off the CCS generated a lot of Heat without ever causing anybody to get charged with anything; so the safehouse was raided three times in total"

"his includes breaking the law whether or not anybody sees you doing it, whether or not it goes on your record."

Herp.
From an elite liberal viewpoint CCS members aren't human and thus not protceted by the law...

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2011, 01:20:58 pm »

There are ideas for enabling the CCS to be destroyed non-violently (exposing scandals about their supporters, maybe turning the police on them), but in the current game, this is the best you can do if they're enabled. To do this without breaking the law AT ALL, the game should be set to classic mode -- otherwise, an exception has to be made for attacking the CCS.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2011, 01:27:25 pm »

There are ideas for enabling the CCS to be destroyed non-violently (exposing scandals about their supporters, maybe turning the police on them), but in the current game, this is the best you can do if they're enabled. To do this without breaking the law AT ALL, the game should be set to classic mode -- otherwise, an exception has to be made for attacking the CCS.
I still think it's possible to deal with the CCS anyway, as long as you have enough sleepers to dampen their assaults, though you probably need to disband soon before the CCS finds out. I wish I had the time or patience to try it out.
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Grimith

• Bay Watcher
  • Terminator Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2011, 05:28:29 pm »

The OP is inherently flawed. If the challenge is to avoid breaking the law "whether or not anyone sees you do it, whether or not it goes on your record," then murdering anyone - even members of the CCS at one of their safehouses - violates the challenge. You'd either have to leave the CCS disabled in the game options or win the game without destroying the CCS.

Leaving the CCS alive isn't so bad. They often go on rampages, and cycling between your safehouses allows you to escape potential attacks (although it can be time-consuming). With enough folks advocating Liberalism, I imagine you would eventually get over the "Free Speech to Conservatism" hump and run the Liberal Guardian the rest of the way to victory.

Callista

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2011, 08:32:36 pm »

If the law doesn't consider it murder to kill a Conservative at a CCS safehouse, then it's not a crime. I tested this--go in, kill one Conservative while another one is watching; after you leave, you don't have murder on your record. I guess it's similar to the way a soldier killing an enemy soldier in battle has not committed a crime.

You also don't get charged with murder for killing guard dogs at C+ to L, or tanks, or genetic nightmares.

Yeah, you can shut down the CCS without killing anybody by having a lot of sleepers there. You don't actually destroy them; your sleepers just make them ineffectual. I'm not sure how it works--but with five sleepers at the CCS, they didn't start raiding again for quite a long time after destruction of a safehouse.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2011, 08:36:50 pm by Callista »

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2011, 09:22:40 pm »

Herp.
From an elite liberal viewpoint CCS members aren't human and thus not protceted by the law...

This is flawed thinking.  Elite Liberals think terrorists and animals are human, thus they would also "extend liberal love" to the CCS members.  As the Elite Liberal thinking goes, the CCS members aren't bad, just misguided.  They need re-education and re-introduction in Elite Liberal society.

Which points out why killing the CCS sort of breaks the "no crime" run.  It's not against the Conservative Legal System...it's against basic Elite Liberal Human Rights.

In a society that views the death penalty as barbaric, killing the CCS members must seem inhuman.

Still, I applaud the OP for running a near-perfect "no crime" run: It must have been really boring, and far more work than I'd be willing to put into it.  Give me action in my games, every time.  Kudos.

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2011, 11:08:28 pm »

The reason killing CCS members doesn't go on your criminal record is because the CCS is another criminal organization which wants to steer clear of the police just as much as you do. The CCS doesn't EVER call the police for help, so your crimes go unreported. It's not that it isn't illegal; the police just never find out.

Callista

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2011, 04:09:21 am »

Shutting them down with sleepers seems to be the best option, then. I just started with the CCS active since it seemed to give me an extra obstacle to overcome. Next time I'll just use sleepers. Seducing them directly from the CCS safehouse will be possible once that first sleeper gives away the location.

For the record--and it wasn't actually boring. Lots of recruiting, dating, managing sleepers, managing funds... You have to be pretty choosy about who you recruit when you know they'll likely never gain any juice. And yeah, waiting; but holding down the "w" key will make a month pass in a couple of seconds.

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2012, 03:12:06 pm »

Holy necro, Batman!
Anyway, in the latest edition you can publish a CCS backer list that will destroy the CCS inside of a year. The masterminds behind the CCS are exposed and arrested. But, I don't know how to get it besides hacking the CIA supercomputer.
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2012, 01:06:17 pm »

Holy necro, Batman!
Anyway, in the latest edition you can publish a CCS backer list that will destroy the CCS inside of a year. The masterminds behind the CCS are exposed and arrested. But, I don't know how to get it besides hacking the CIA supercomputer.

There is another way!

It's pretty rare that you'd be in that circumstance though.

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2012, 02:53:17 pm »

If it's rare, how? CCS Sleepers? Once, I had a guy with 28 Charisma and maxed out persuasion, and he could recruit CEOs by just talking to them. So I would recruit CCS vigilantes and send them back upon the safehouses.
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4