Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Hermit dwarf fortress  (Read 1586 times)

thedryness

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Hermit dwarf fortress
« on: November 11, 2011, 11:48:40 pm »

So I can't play df right now, because my computer is busted, otherwise I would try it and post results, anyways my challenge is to try to make a "fully functioning" fort with the fewest (and most badass) dwarves possible (ideally 1 super hermit dwarf). I don't want to define "fully functioning" too rigidly, but I would think that such a fort would contain the majority of the following in some way:
A trained and armed militia.
A food and booze production.
A finished goods production.
Imports and exports
A legitimately "dwarfy" fort layout and decoration.
An utterly inefficient "mega"project. (mega relative to the number of dwarves)

I think it's safe to say you can wall of your dwarf/dwarves from the outside world to begin with until the fort is functioning and has a chance to fend of any group of bandits/badgers or whatever...and to be able to keep out immigrants. Extra starting dwarves can be used to help wall off the main dwarf/dwarves but then must be left to fend for them selves in the wilderness.

Bonus points for:
Using only a single dwarf.
Surviving past the first year.
Surviving past the point when you open your fort to the world.
Trading with a caravan successfully.
Dealing with immigrants in a cruel or unusual manner.
Building anything impressive or useful.
Reaching and using lava.

What do you guys think of the challenge? What do you think the fewest dwarves you could buil a functiong fort with would be? If anyone tries the challenge or has experience playing in a similar style in the past share the story / results.

(sorry if something like this has been posted before I've been watching the forums for quite some time and don't remember seeing anything like this)
« Last Edit: November 11, 2011, 11:52:54 pm by thedryness »

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: Hermit dwarf fortress
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2011, 12:29:03 am »

I've had hermit forts.

1 is enough. Easy to keep happy, too. The problem is the whole "has to be kept walled off from the outside world until a trap hallway or some such is set up" thing, though...

zehive

• Bay Watcher
  • [DRAGONFIREBREATH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2011, 02:41:56 am »

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2011, 04:20:33 am »

Unfortunately, it tends to get fairly boring after a while. It's fairly easy to maintain a single dwarf's health, after all, since a single slaughtered dog will feed them for the better part of a year and it doesn't take much booze to keep one dwarf liquored up. Combined with the slow pace of every single job imaginable due to lack of labor, the challenge is just dull.

It might be cooler if you did an empty wagon peasant no-trade hermit challenge, since killing those jerks who harassed your chosen one all the way from the Mountainhomes is somewhat trickier without a pick to drop a ceiling on them, but if you allow the training axe exploit you could block them in easily enough.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!