Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Wiki downloading files  (Read 6270 times)

vonFaust

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Wiki downloading files
« on: November 10, 2011, 10:55:08 am »

About 20% of the time when I use the wiki, it goes through times when everytime I try to go to the wiki or just click on a link to another page of the wiki, it'll attempt to dowload a file of the page instead of actually going to the page. Why in the world is this happening? It's just for the wiki, no other sites.

Some examples of the files:

Digging_deeper.gz
download.gz.crdownload
40d-Magma.gz.crdownload
index.php
Farming.gz.crdownload
etc.

Basically whatever page it is. I haven't opened them or anything, I cancel them every time. It's getting really annoying.
That incident was really what clued me in to the depth this game can offer, though that one time I made a fort of 150 dwarves suspended over a gorge and cut it all loose was pretty fun too.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
Re: Wiki downloading files
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2011, 10:58:31 am »

Old versions of Google Chrome are known to not work correctly with MediaWiki 1.17.0 - if you're not using the latest version, then upgrade.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

vonFaust

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2011, 11:01:53 am »

Old versions of Google Chrome are known to not work correctly with MediaWiki 1.17.0 - if you're not using the latest version, then upgrade.

I am using Chrome, but I just checked for updates and there are none.
That incident was really what clued me in to the depth this game can offer, though that one time I made a fort of 150 dwarves suspended over a gorge and cut it all loose was pretty fun too.

murlocdummy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2011, 10:12:12 pm »

It's happening with Firefox, as well.  Don't tell me we're going to have to use IE to view the wiki *shudder*

Locriani

• Bay Watcher
  • Locriani == Briess
    • View Profile
    • dwarf fortress wiki
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2011, 12:48:32 pm »

I'm looking into this, no solution yet but we will find one.  Sorry about the issues. :(
I am one of many administrators of the wiki.  Please use my user page (http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/User_talk:Briess) on the wiki to contact me, as I check that more often than these forums.

Locriani

• Bay Watcher
  • Locriani == Briess
    • View Profile
    • dwarf fortress wiki
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2011, 12:58:09 pm »

Do any of you people have Avast antivirus?
I am one of many administrators of the wiki.  Please use my user page (http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/User_talk:Briess) on the wiki to contact me, as I check that more often than these forums.

vonFaust

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2011, 04:15:23 pm »

Do any of you people have Avast antivirus?

I do. Why do you ask?

Locriani

• Bay Watcher
  • Locriani == Briess
    • View Profile
    • dwarf fortress wiki
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2011, 07:00:50 pm »

Apparently Avast Antivirus is actually the culprit here, not your browser.  A bit crazy, I know.

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2011, 07:23:23 pm »

I have avast, and I've never had any issues with the wiki. Then again, I haven't checked recently. I'll go do so now.

EDIT: Yeah, nothin. Visited about ten seperate pages through the random page link, and a few pages by search engine and nothing.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2011, 07:25:00 pm by Seriyu »

vonFaust

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2011, 11:36:11 am »

I have avast, and I've never had any issues with the wiki. Then again, I haven't checked recently. I'll go do so now.

EDIT: Yeah, nothin. Visited about ten seperate pages through the random page link, and a few pages by search engine and nothing.

Well it doesn't happen too often, just every once in a while. And it'll do it for a few minutes when you're trying to figure something out, which is pretty annoying.

Edit: I'm assuming it has something to do with the site advisor, right? Maybe there's a way I can exclude it from checking the wiki. That might solve the problem.

JJtoocool

• Bay Watcher
  • Unfortunate Accident: ∞
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2011, 09:33:49 am »

I use chrome, and have avast. I also have 20 Fun.crdownload files in my download folder. Recently it seems to have been fixed though.
Quote from: Goblin 3 to Goblin 1
I heard that I died.
Quote from: Goblin 1 to Goblin 3
It was inevitable.
Quote from: Goblin 3 to Goblin 1
Goodbye.
Quote from: Goblin 1 to Goblin 3
Goodbye.

murlocdummy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2011, 03:43:18 pm »

I use chrome, and have avast. I also have 20 Fun.crdownload files in my download folder. Recently it seems to have been fixed though.

Just tried it today with Chrome.  Not fixed.

What I always do is just spam click the link/press esc key until it breaks through, and the page loads properly.  I suppose with everything else about Dwarf Fortress being about menu meta-grinding, it would only make sense that the wiki would require you to grind in order to make it work, too.

Emi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2011, 05:02:09 pm »

Just tried it today with Chrome.  Not fixed.

What I always do is just spam click the link/press esc key until it breaks through, and the page loads properly.  I suppose with everything else about Dwarf Fortress being about menu meta-grinding, it would only make sense that the wiki would require you to grind in order to make it work, too.

And you're not using Avast or similar software?

blaize9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Blaizecraft
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2011, 02:08:20 am »

I have this problem with google chrome, but then i load the page with firefox it works fine without anything being downloaded.
Also what it does it that it try's to download the page instead of loading it =/

« Last Edit: December 21, 2011, 02:13:47 am by blaize9 »

blaize9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Blaizecraft
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2011, 02:54:08 am »

Just open a different browser for the DF wiki  :D
Pages: [1] 2