Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Most epic death ever!  (Read 10139 times)

Shmo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Most epic death ever!
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2011, 02:37:22 am »

My most notable death is unremarkable in its physical details, but is nonetheless a tale of pure Shakespearean woe.

Imagine a happy dwarven family. Father in the militia, mother is a blacksmith. Two small children, one an infant

Someone is careless hauling a goblin prisoner and he gets loose in the commons. A long chase, made difficult by the openness of my fortress layout. I send in the army, but because they're green recruits in bone armour some are ravaged and the rest are called back, though none dies. The goblin runs into a long hall, stabs some passers-by to death but is subsequently caught in an ad hoc cage trap. It just so happens that one of those passers-by was the elder son of the above-mentioned blacksmith.

Well, things aren't going so well for her and she becomes more upset by the day. A moment comes when she snaps, and snaps hard. She goes berserk and murders her infant, her only surviving child. Naturally I send in the militia but as a result of the goblin fight only two are able to respond quickly and the first one on the scene is her husband, who then has to put her down. And all because he couldn't stop that goblin.

And what happened to the soldier? Did such a twisted fate leave him longing for death or madness? I would love to say it did, but he had had a pretty decent drink lately, admired a sublime chair and perhaps even made a friend. So he got over it to live another day, battle another time, and die a different senseless death or other. And the world went on.

That incident was really what clued me in to the depth this game can offer, though that one time I made a fort of 150 dwarves suspended over a gorge and cut it all loose was pretty fun too.
S = k*log x(rope reed fiber socks)x

vonFaust

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2011, 03:32:17 pm »

My most notable death is unremarkable in its physical details, but is nonetheless a tale of pure Shakespearean woe.

Imagine a happy dwarven family. Father in the militia, mother is a blacksmith. Two small children, one an infant

Someone is careless hauling a goblin prisoner and he gets loose in the commons. A long chase, made difficult by the openness of my fortress layout. I send in the army, but because they're green recruits in bone armour some are ravaged and the rest are called back, though none dies. The goblin runs into a long hall, stabs some passers-by to death but is subsequently caught in an ad hoc cage trap. It just so happens that one of those passers-by was the elder son of the above-mentioned blacksmith.

Well, things aren't going so well for her and she becomes more upset by the day. A moment comes when she snaps, and snaps hard. She goes berserk and murders her infant, her only surviving child. Naturally I send in the militia but as a result of the goblin fight only two are able to respond quickly and the first one on the scene is her husband, who then has to put her down. And all because he couldn't stop that goblin.

And what happened to the soldier? Did such a twisted fate leave him longing for death or madness? I would love to say it did, but he had had a pretty decent drink lately, admired a sublime chair and perhaps even made a friend. So he got over it to live another day, battle another time, and die a different senseless death or other. And the world went on.

That incident was really what clued me in to the depth this game can offer, though that one time I made a fort of 150 dwarves suspended over a gorge and cut it all loose was pretty fun too.

Whoops, sig'd.

DarthMetool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2011, 12:34:41 am »

Doubtless, this one wasn't epic, but I do remember it well.  I had embarked in a frozen area, and, disliking goblin raids, decided to have a trench built all the way around the map.  So, I designated a looooong line to be mined/channeled and forgot about it.  Several months later, I realized one of my dorfs was missing, so i go looking for him.  He was found at one end of the trench, frozen solid while digging.  A picture of a frozen dorf, icycles hanging off his beard, pick raised in midswing came to mind.  Entombed him in an icy mausoleum after that.
Huh, city stuff?  Weird. http://city-ofdarth.myminicity.com

Poindexterity

• Bay Watcher
  • Listen to my album at www.oldschoolpoindexter.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2011, 04:54:33 am »

My Baroness was a hammerlord with close to 50 "good" kills under her belt.
she led the charge to defend against the siege. She managed to kill 3 trolls before she was surrounded by 4 lashers. She killed 3 of them before her squad finally got there to back her up. (She was always first to every fight) Her squad killed the fourth before being mangled by a new squad of trolls from the north. She lay in the main entrance tunnel with all sorts of bones broken, only 3 squares from the row of traps. (Which yes, we SHOULD have chilled behind and waited for them to come through) As the 2nd squad of trolls tore through the tunnel to reach her broken and defenseless form, she summoned up one last ounce of strength, and drug herself painfully across the ground, and when the squad reached her moments later, they were cut limb from limb by the serrated disks. She bled out on the floor there next to them, presumably watching them die and grinning.

I damn near ran the fort into the ground building her the most lavish resting place i'd built before or since.
Life (in dwarf fortress) is a cocophany of flavours, each more succulent than the last - why not sample them all?!
Pages: 1 [2]