Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: MAD MAD MONEY  (Read 2474 times)

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
  • thats not a red mage...
    • View Profile
MAD MAD MONEY
« on: November 10, 2011, 03:59:02 pm »

i want to know the most efficiant ways to start wacking up the money train. my fort has 60 somtin mil in money but i want to break 100 mil
I've decided to say "fuck it" and will just implode my fort.

“Ok, Neo ChosenUrist, before you is two levers. Pull the Kimberlite lever -- you wakeup in a random bed and have whatever thoughts you want to think. You pull the Bauxite lever -- you stay in the caverns and I show you how deep the adamantine hole goes.” - psalms

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
Re: MAD MAD MONEY
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2011, 04:12:53 pm »

If you haven't started mining raw adamantine, start doing it (though be careful not to release the HFS), then use item-forbid and burrows to force all artifacts to use raw adamantine and/or adamantine wafers instead of mundant stones/metals. Adamantine artifacts are typically worth a few million apiece.

If you want to do it all at once, then use additional burrows trickery to generate an adamantine Planepacked.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
  • thats not a red mage...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2011, 04:46:16 pm »

If you haven't started mining raw adamantine, start doing it (though be careful not to release the HFS), then use item-forbid and burrows to force all artifacts to use raw adamantine and/or adamantine wafers instead of mundant stones/metals. Adamantine artifacts are typically worth a few million apiece.

If you want to do it all at once, then use additional burrows trickery to generate an adamantine Planepacked.

i have started mineing but i want to know about other money packed industries
I've decided to say "fuck it" and will just implode my fort.

“Ok, Neo ChosenUrist, before you is two levers. Pull the Kimberlite lever -- you wakeup in a random bed and have whatever thoughts you want to think. You pull the Bauxite lever -- you stay in the caverns and I show you how deep the adamantine hole goes.” - psalms

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2011, 04:52:47 pm »

Dwarven syrup roasts.  A masterwork dwarven syrup roast prepared by a legendary cook is worth an obscene amount.

Of course, once you get to that point, there's not much use for money.  It's not hard to produce enough valuable goods to buy out entire caravans every year, even if all you're doing is making rock mugs.  Then what?  If your goal is to accumulate valuable materials, you're going to be limited by the bottleneck of how much the traders can bring you each year.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2011, 04:58:34 pm »

Metal statues and mechanisms are high-value, especially since you can place them afterwards to double their effective worth (their value is added both as created items and as architectural value). However, metal should probably be used on discs; they're worth more than mechanisms, and you can then build 10 of them and a mechanism into a weapon trap. Robes are the most valuable thing you can make out of cloth, though it might be better to make a robe then decorate it; fewer items, thus less FPS hit. Smoothing and engraving vast areas also creates a lot of wealth; engraving gem and ore veins in particular can add quite a bit.

Basically, if you want to up your created wealth, just do everything and don't overpay the caravans too much, since that gets rid of items. In any case, starting with high-value materials and making high-value things that you can build is probably your best bet.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2011, 05:09:52 pm »

Dwarven syrup roasts.  A masterwork dwarven syrup roast prepared by a legendary cook is worth an obscene amount.

Of course, once you get to that point, there's not much use for money.  It's not hard to produce enough valuable goods to buy out entire caravans every year, even if all you're doing is making rock mugs.  Then what?  If your goal is to accumulate valuable materials, you're going to be limited by the bottleneck of how much the traders can bring you each year.

IIRC invaders, titans and megabeasts have wealth triggers. Architecture, etc wealth isn't good for much else than triggers and happiness in any case.
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2011, 05:50:22 pm »

Dwarven syrup roasts don't work anymore - at least one ingredient must be solid, and cooks will not use liquid ingredients unless no solid ingredients are remaining, so ridiculous amounts of micromanaging are necessary.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

AWellTrainedFerret

• Bay Watcher
  • An Axe Knight draws near!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2011, 06:44:55 pm »

Masterwork steel armor and weapons. Mine out the entire map and always request coal stones/bars from liaison to pad the amount available, then melt down anything that isn't masterwork. Once you have enough to fully equip your entire populace, it'll be worth tens of millions. Plus you have the added bonus of being able to defend yourself rather easily.

An obsidian farm will help because you can atom smash all other stone furniture and replace it all with masterwork obsidian.

And a parent civilization that has access to diamonds will help as well, since they don't have any limit on how many are available and can always trade 5-10 per caravan.

Artifacts made from obsidian, diamonds, steel, and expensive leather (my parent civilizations always have giant toad and giant olm available) are worth quite a bit and use replenish-able materials.
The Axe Knight attacks before you are ready!
The Axe Knight chants the spell of SLEEP!
Thou art asleep.
Pepare'th thine anus.
Axe Knight hath no lube.

Aachen

• Bay Watcher
  • Wenzo Pilgrim cancels job: unstuck in time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2011, 06:57:06 pm »

.... Artifacts made from obsidian ....

In line with Quietust's statements regarding adamantine, using just about any ore stone is better than using obsidian, when one compares the DB values.
Quote from: Rithol Camus
There is but one truly serious philosophical problem and that is magma.

Quote from: Chinua Achebe
.... For Cliché is pauperized Ecstasy.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2011, 06:59:32 pm »

Pave your whole fortress with silver/gold/platinum/aluminium/blue stuff. That should be enough.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

tj333

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2011, 07:00:06 pm »

I usually start engraving, encrusting, decorating, and sewing images into everything that can take it. Just stack more value onto every item,

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2011, 07:12:00 pm »

Dwarven syrup roasts don't work anymore - at least one ingredient must be solid, and cooks will not use liquid ingredients unless no solid ingredients are remaining, so ridiculous amounts of micromanaging are necessary.
I have stacks of dwarven syrup roasts that say you are wrong.  The first ingredient must be solid, but after that the cook will take the closest ingredient whether or not it is liquid.  Surround your kitchen with a stockpile that only takes dwarven syrup barrels (and make sure that there aren't any stockpiles elsewhere that take them) and you will produce plenty of dwarven syrup roasts without any further micromanagement.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2011, 08:02:31 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Sincerely,
Knutor
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2011, 08:06:49 pm »

I have stacks of dwarven syrup roasts that say you are wrong.  The first ingredient must be solid, but after that the cook will take the closest ingredient whether or not it is liquid.  Surround your kitchen with a stockpile that only takes dwarven syrup barrels (and make sure that there aren't any stockpiles elsewhere that take them) and you will produce plenty of dwarven syrup roasts without any further micromanagement.
I've tried that, and my cook will still walk miles to the farthest stockpile to grab solid ingredients. What gives?
Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.

Aachen

• Bay Watcher
  • Wenzo Pilgrim cancels job: unstuck in time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2011, 08:33:00 pm »

Test: Forbid all solid foods. Claim one stack back. Observe results. Repeat test with two, three and four stacks of solid ingredients available. Set up kitchen and one each solid/liquid stuff stockpiles in a burrow. Repeat tests.

Not sure if it will help you, but it will quickly establish what behavior to expect regarding ingredient use. I expect that Quietust has good info, though.
Quote from: Rithol Camus
There is but one truly serious philosophical problem and that is magma.

Quote from: Chinua Achebe
.... For Cliché is pauperized Ecstasy.
Pages: [1] 2