Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Brass Spear  (Read 1036 times)

jjcarver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Brass Spear
« on: November 25, 2011, 03:11:26 am »

My moody weaponsmith just made an artifact brass spear.  She had a material preference for brass, so I could not force her to use something better like steel, since she just sat there doing nothing until I made some brass bars for her.

My question is, does anyone have an idea how effective an artifact brass spear would be?  Brass isn't included in the weapon material breakdown on the wiki, since it normally cannot be used to make weapons.  I would guess that it is similar in material effectiveness to bronze, since zinc and tin have similar density.

So do you think that an artifact brass spear could possibly outperform a masterwork steel spear?  I'm guessing that the answer is no.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
Re: Brass Spear
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2011, 03:26:46 am »

i dont think the penetration potential is as good, but i'm not an expert
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2011, 04:08:28 am »

No, use it in a weapon trap to create valuable room.
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2011, 05:38:23 am »

Probably not, but goddamn would it be stylish.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2011, 06:02:41 am »

like a dwarf bone crossbow :D
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

BuGGaTon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fake Dorfly Mentor
    • View Profile
    • BoredGamer
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2011, 06:06:45 am »

no, you see, because an artifact dwarf bone crossbow would be as good as a steel one for the purposes of shooting bolts ><
Have any gameplay questions?  Try asking me during a live stream for a quick and helpful, yet derogatory reply!  Bloody elves.

http://www.twitch.tv/boredgameruk

MiniMacker

• Bay Watcher
  • Side-effects include nausia, tantrum and insanity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2011, 07:28:44 am »

Well, it couldn't be THAT bad. If it's artifact quality, it should have a better hit chance.

Or is it penetration chance?

I don't know.

But at the same time, if it wasn't a possession (And thus instant legendary weaponsmith), then you should probably forge Masterwork Steel Spears or the like.
It isn't a new Dwarf Fortress version until we're made to fear some kind of regular creature.  Carp, Elephants, Unicorns, Badgers, and now Mosquitos.  I've got 5 dorfBucks on the next one being plagues of groundhogs.

Alastar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2011, 08:22:41 am »

Looking at the raws, brass ought to be better than copper and worse than steel for edged weapons, probably comparable to iron and bronze (lower shear strength, but denser and stiffer).

Given that spears don't really need material superiority to be effective, it's going to be a very usable weapon. Do whatever seems stylish - you're not going to gain or lose much over using a steel spear.

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2011, 08:41:00 am »

Lock all of your children dwarves outside of the fortress until only one remains. Then, when the chosen dwarf comes of age, bestow unto them the artifact brass spear, for only they are worthy enough to wield it.

rhesusmacabre

• Bay Watcher
  • UNDEAD-CANNOT BE ATTACKED
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2011, 11:12:05 am »

Then create a Temple of Trials filled with giant scorpions/badgers so he/she can confirm their worthiness. And then send him/her to find the GECK. No wait...

jjcarver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2011, 11:18:53 am »

But at the same time, if it wasn't a possession (And thus instant legendary weaponsmith), then you should probably forge Masterwork Steel Spears or the like.

It was a secretive mood, so the weaponsmith is now legendary.  However, I already had a legendary weaponsmith, so I've been using that guy to make masterwork steel weapons for a long time.  All of my speardwarves currently have masterwork steel spears.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2011, 01:17:57 pm »

Brass has been used for weapons in real life, a long long time ago, whenever bronze was unavailable. So I'd say it's better than copper as good as/somwhat worse than bronze. It is an artifact weapon, meaning it can't be destroyed, save by atom-smashing, and gets the same bonus other artifact weapons get (hits more often, I belive).
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2011, 10:12:49 pm »

Stick it in a spike trap and watch the dwarves admire DAT BRASS.

*shot*