Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: MAD MAD MONEY  (Read 2476 times)

Nidokoenig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: MAD MAD MONEY
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2011, 08:46:43 pm »

Or just use burrows. Have one cook and one hauler, the cook is burrowed in the kitchen, the syrup stockpile, the one-tile solid food stockpile and wherever he needs for his downtime, the hauler is burrowed on the solid food tile and a larger stockpile it's set to feed from, plus his own stuff. The cook takes the one piece of solid food available to him, then uses syrup for the other three ingredients, and the hauler replaces the solid, though hopefully not too quickly.

That's a bit of a faff, though, so I just use a bakery I modded in to combine flour, booze, fat and maybe one, two or all of sugar, egg and syrup to make solid dough that I can cook directly, or cook into a loaf/cake/cookie, or bake into a statue.

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
  • thats not a red mage...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2011, 10:28:02 pm »

paving studing engraving weapon making upgrading shiz and making all other stuff above what it is along with making as much fine goods as possible along with pumping out all kinds of goods, mining good shit harvisting fun and making all other froms of shit.

ya im doing that and the roast is for newbs. but what i want to know is is there an FAST WAY TO PUMP OUT GOODS WORTH +6 ZERO'S!!!! but still i should line the walls with stuff like glass windows and traps and statues of candy. ill pave the streets with gold (ha just like what the germans thought america would be like from 1700-1800) that with glass and just making the good stuff.

i'm already at 70+mil but i want to hit 100 mil and the 1 bil in rich. i want 1k of M. so should i turn to golden desks and shit along with iron bridges.
I've decided to say "fuck it" and will just implode my fort.

“Ok, Neo ChosenUrist, before you is two levers. Pull the Kimberlite lever -- you wakeup in a random bed and have whatever thoughts you want to think. You pull the Bauxite lever -- you stay in the caverns and I show you how deep the adamantine hole goes.” - psalms

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2011, 10:33:28 pm »

Test: Forbid all solid foods. Claim one stack back. Observe results. Repeat test with two, three and four stacks of solid ingredients available. Set up kitchen and one each solid/liquid stuff stockpiles in a burrow. Repeat tests.

That's the thing, they do cook syrup if we forbid all but one solid stack.

Cooking like that is not practical though, it requires the ridiculous micromanagement that Quietust mentioned. Even with burrows, you'll get so many job cancellations that it won't make a difference.

The only practical use of syrup is when you get a huge stack of rare meat, in which case you can afford to micromanage a single cooking job.
Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2011, 10:58:50 pm »

Test: Forbid all solid foods. Claim one stack back. Observe results. Repeat test with two, three and four stacks of solid ingredients available. Set up kitchen and one each solid/liquid stuff stockpiles in a burrow. Repeat tests.

That's the thing, they do cook syrup if we forbid all but one solid stack.

Cooking like that is not practical though, it requires the ridiculous micromanagement that Quietust mentioned. Even with burrows, you'll get so many job cancellations that it won't make a difference.

The only practical use of syrup is when you get a huge stack of rare meat, in which case you can afford to micromanage a single cooking job.

i don't care much for the roast idea i personaly think its an exploit

“Ok, Neo ChosenUrist, before you is two levers. Pull the Kimberlite lever -- you wakeup in a random bed and have whatever thoughts you want to think. You pull the Bauxite lever -- you stay in the caverns and I show you how deep the adamantine hole goes.” - psalms

Aachen

• Bay Watcher
  • Wenzo Pilgrim cancels job: unstuck in time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2011, 11:00:12 pm »

Well, i don't particularly care about cancellation messages enough to where their presence will make me abandon a system. My tendency with high-skill cooks is a workshop ringed by concentric liquid ingredient and solid ingredient stockpiles. That seems to keep the liquids cleared out acceptably (although I haven't really shot for intensive syrup production or anything lately).

How would the following work:

Carmelizer's Burrow including kitchen, living space, many-tile food stockpile restricted to liquid-of-choice and a one-tile solid ingredient stockpile which takes no barrels and is sourced from a larger extraburrow pile? Hmmmm.

Ah, I'm just going to round up a chef and see for myself.

An integrated cloth industry can add a lot of value. Bags can be installed! Really, a whole system of integrated ☼item☼ --> ☼decoration☼ --> ☼decoration --> ☼decoration☼ supported by haulers (AKA functional fort) will most efficiently grow value. Labor is the vital resource.

edit: And I overlook articles.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2011, 11:02:39 pm by Aachen »
Quote from: Rithol Camus
There is but one truly serious philosophical problem and that is magma.

Quote from: Chinua Achebe
.... For Cliché is pauperized Ecstasy.

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2011, 11:03:10 pm »

FUCK THE ROAST AND FOOD i dont want this idea its an exploit just like making beer food

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2011, 11:15:48 pm »

How would the following work:

Carmelizer's Burrow including kitchen, living space, many-tile food stockpile restricted to liquid-of-choice and a one-tile solid ingredient stockpile which takes no barrels and is sourced from a larger extraburrow pile? Hmmmm.

Ah, I'm just going to round up a chef and see for myself.
I think you might need a few haulers dedicated to just filling the one-tile solid pile from the larger pile, with those haulers burrowed such that they only have access to the large pile, the small pile, and their life-support systems. Otherwise, I'd be worried that you'd have to give new roast jobs every second time. I'd think it would work, though.

FUCK THE ROAST AND FOOD i dont want this idea its an exploit just like making beer food
Just because you're not interested doesn't mean nobody else is. Also, I think you haven't heard of beer bread, which can in fact be made with just flour, sugar, and beer. If you can do it in real life... Why is it an exploit? (Beyond the whole "you don't need water to brew booze, and you get lots and lots of booze per plant" thing)
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Aachen

• Bay Watcher
  • Wenzo Pilgrim cancels job: unstuck in time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2011, 11:16:25 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

What? Do you want a magic bullet? Make it out of adamantine, or mod in something of ridiculous value! Sheesh, it's just numbers.

edit: JAXLER LOOK AWAY!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

another edit: By-the-by, Jaxler, I wish I could make you some white sauce and pasta! I stand by white wine reduction.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2011, 11:25:54 pm by Aachen »
Quote from: Rithol Camus
There is but one truly serious philosophical problem and that is magma.

Quote from: Chinua Achebe
.... For Cliché is pauperized Ecstasy.

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2011, 01:00:49 am »

FYI this is dwarf fortress. We mostly care about roasts and food and magma, or food roasted on magma, or cooks roasted on magma for food...

Nonetheless, the Large Serrated Disks are the most expensive items you can make.

With affordable materials it will be something like:

base: 126 (x30 Steel) (x12 masterful) = 45360

decorations
base: 10 (x40 Aluminum, Platinum) (x12 masterful) = +4800

Total = 45360 per disk

With Adamantine it becomes:

base: 126 (x300 Adamantine) (x12 masterful = 453600

decorations
base: 10 (x40 Aluminum, Platinu) (x12 masterful) = +4800

Total = 458400 per disk

I'm not sure if you can increase it further with gem decorations, but that should be about the most expensive item you can "pump out". Not even close to 7-figure numbers you want.

Roasts, on the other hand...

edit: you can't stud adamantine with adamantine
« Last Edit: November 11, 2011, 01:31:14 am by Blue_Dwarf »

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2011, 01:40:19 am »

Roasts will be eaten without even more micromanagement, and that's kind of annoying.

Decorating with high value multiplier stuff (such as unicorn bone :D ) might not be as effective as roasts, but infinitely more dwarven. In my present fort, after various (insert leather-skinned animal here)splosions, I have a room set to draw bone, shell, hoof, ivory, leather, cloth, gems from other stockpiles, plus furniture, plus workshops. Sew leather/cloth image, decorate with bone/shell/ivory, encrust furniture with clear glass, on repeat.
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2011, 02:56:20 am »

Roasts, on the other hand...

whip vine flour roast: 1320 dwarfbucks per meal, or 31680 bucks for stacks of 24 (the largest with no fertilizing)

or with ridiculous micromanagement:
Quarry Bush + 3 Dwarven Syrup Roast:  670 dwarfbucks per meal, or 70350 dwarfbucks for stacks of 105 (the largest with no fertilizing)

The most expensive roast would include something like Roc Roast, if multiple Rocs somehow happen to visit you (416-949 meat), and your cook manages to masterfully roast them. 1560 dwarfbucks per meal or 2,595,840 dwarfbucks - 5,921,760 dwarfbucks (stack of 1664 - 3796). Try pumping out these babies :o

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2011, 12:45:34 pm »

my first wave included a high master cook and a master blacksmith. I always used to prepare food for trade, but they're at 8.000/ 10.000 a set now. And since I got native gold on my embark site, I just passed the second spring an am already past 1.000.000 worth in fort. My only other metal seems to be tetra-thingy, so i'm pumping out copper and silver trap components as fast as i can, and training up a militia for kobolds now. I'm sure no goblins can get through at least
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2011, 11:14:18 pm »

Nonetheless, the Large Serrated Disks are the most expensive items you can make.

base: 126 (x30 Steel) (x12 masterful) = 45360

decorations
base: 10 (x40 Aluminum, Platinum) (x12 masterful) = +4800

Total = 45360 per disk

With Adamantine it becomes:

base: 126 (x300 Adamantine) (x12 masterful = 453600

decorations
base: 10 (x40 Aluminum, Platinu) (x12 masterful) = +4800

Total = 458400 per disk

I'm not sure if you can increase it further with gem decorations, but that should be about the most expensive item you can "pump out". Not even close to 7-figure numbers you want.

Actually their values can be higher, since it turns out that you can stud one item with many metal types (iron, gold,silver, copper, nickel, zinc, bronze, brass, steel, platinum, electrum, tin, lay/trifle/fine pewter, lead, aluminum, nickelsilver, billon, sterlingsilver, blackbronze, rosegold, bismuthbronze, adamantine). I thought they can only be decorated once, but it's actually once per metal type.

So a full set of studding for a steel item would have a value of 27720 bucks, or 63720 with candy.

A similar set for a candy item would be 31320 bucks.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 25, 2011, 10:06:53 pm »

I've never had problems with getting cooks to use liquid ingredients even when there are plenty of solid ones. The liquid ingredients are closer to the kitchen than the solid ones, and the solid ones are never in containers. The container situation is true for the whole fortress -- if it's food and doesn't need to be in a container, it doesn't get one. Seeds are the exception, since you cram so many bags into one barrel. I don't bother cooking those when they build up; I just forbid a couple of each seed and cart the rest off to the depot. The barrels can be surprisingly valuble for what amounts to a junk byproduct.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.
Pages: 1 [2]