Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31

Author Topic: Cyberdorf Systems: Dwarfputing an A.I. (0.1.1 Alpha)  (Read 108810 times)

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
Re: Cyberdorf Systems: Dwarfputing an A.I. (0.1 Alpha)
« Reply #420 on: February 16, 2012, 03:12:43 pm »

If this AI wants to take over the world, I say let it. I'd rather it be taken over by something built by dwarves than something built by humans - or worse, elves. (though elves aren't exactly technologically inclined)

And BloodBeard, what you're doing is incredible. took me a bit to read through everything (I've been away for a bit), but it looks awesome so far. I like where it's going. :D
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: February 17, 2012, 02:51:34 am »

Yeah, this is pretty awesome. I couldn't do this with instructions.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

BloodBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: February 17, 2012, 01:36:25 pm »

Swarms of giant mosquitoes come to Doortufts and say "God damn, this place is killing our FPS!"

Some bits and bobs I keep forgetting to talk about:

When figuring out how the AI was going to use its version of a keyboard (a bank of pressure plates, what else?) I solved a problem I had very early on when I wanted the user to only need to pull the levers on their keyboard once. If I want to I can make the keyboard work that way where you pull a lever, the red light comes on telling you to wait before going green again letting you know it's ok to flip another lever without resetting the one you just pulled.

The issue becomes do I want to take up space building something about this big to make it work:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Space, it's always about space it seems! To any of those who downloaded 0.1 alpha, was having to reset the the levers on your own judgement much of a hassel?

I mentioned sometime before that 'clear' doesn't clear the whole display in one fell swoop because of the way backspacing works, and because the AI doesn't need backspacing I could make the AI display clear more quickly. Well I can, but I decided against it for a couple reasons. Firstly if the display were to be cleared instantly, the word recognition however won't and you'll need to wait for that to reset anyways, so it's not saving any time. Secondly, i'm quite happy with how energy efficient this whole thing is and clearing a 32 character display all at once would need a fuck ton of power.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 05:15:19 pm by BloodBeard »

BloodBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Cyberdorf Systems: Dwarfputing an A.I. (0.1.1 Alpha Released)
« Reply #423 on: February 17, 2012, 10:34:22 pm »

Dwarven AI 0.1.1 Alpha released, download page is here. This isn't the new version i'm working on with word recognition, it's the same as 0.1 Alpha but with new optimizations I just recently discovered. It has 1,344 less linkages, 448 less gears and over 600 redundant doors removed so there should be a small increase in FPS. If you've already downloaded 0.1 Alpha and are getting good FPS you won't really gain anything from this.

This optimization almost came too late. I would have had to do 4,200 linkages in the word recognition, that's now down to 280. I'll also be scrapping over a thousand gears. I discovered when testing this that some of the doors I removed in the word rec version should be put back to avoid water splashing/wasting  :(

So I messed up when uploading 0.1 I found out when updating it. I'm still stuck in the 40d mindset where there's only 1 set of raws and I meant to return the dwarves speed back to normal and remove [NO_SLEEP], but that didn't happen obviously. I fixed it for this version.

BloodBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cyberdorf Systems: Dwarfputing an A.I. (0.1.1 Alpha Released)
« Reply #424 on: February 20, 2012, 07:18:52 pm »

A little video I made showing you the action packed world of gear linking: Linky

I'm thinking about getting a reality tv show.
« Reply #425 on: February 20, 2012, 07:25:27 pm »

the dwarf defense systeym

ashton1993

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: February 20, 2012, 07:45:29 pm »

N'aawww, well you can rest assured the work is very appreciated ^_^
Wow, that's actually really friggin' awesome looking.
That is brilliant.
That is hilarious, Ashton. I love it.
OMG yes!!!  Thank you!!!

Totally not a narcissist.

BloodBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: February 21, 2012, 05:27:42 pm »

It can get tedious sometimes but looking ahead at what the result will be makes it worth it.

Word recognition and its logic are done for the most part. There's only one giant bank of gears left to link up which happens to be the biggest one of this update, but will be left unbuilt when not preparing for a release. If I were to follow my original plan i'd be making a copy of the region file to begin preparing it for upload, but there's one more thing I need to add. I weighed the options and decided it would be worth taking up more space for some logic banks that will allow the user to pull the keyboard-levers once and not have to reset them. The levers really only need to be activated for a couple steps and any more is just wasting water and time. Self resetting levers (by that I mean the gears the levers are linked to) will probably make typing twice as fast and for what I have planned that's a load off you.

I was going to do something simple to demonstrate word recognition like typing magma as the 3rd word would cause the living area of the dwarves to be flooded with magma. I got idea though for something more fun and probably more time consuming... i'm going to program a game of Mastermind with a code made of words (4 or 5). You'll have a limited number of attempts to correctly guess the code and if you fail the dwarves die a horrible death. If anything this will give me insight on the ways I can utilize words that have been recognized and tide you over untill the big beta version after this which will include the AI in its first appearance.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile

WaffleEggnog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: February 24, 2012, 07:40:43 pm »

I really hope this gets somewere, and isnt forgotten under the waves of usless posts.
WHEN POSSIBLE, I PREFER TO CONSUME YOUR FACE.

BloodBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: February 24, 2012, 10:10:15 pm »

Still working on it. The mechanics to allow single-pull lever typing are finished and i'm now figuring out a bank of rule enforcing gears that won't let you type words longer than 7 characters and things like that that could mess up the word rec/AI. It's proving to be more complicated then I anticipated but I believe I have it worked out.

I said before that the next version probably won't be called 0.2, but after being forced to decided what road i'm going to go down with 0.1.1 it seemed like the best way to go. The word rec version will be 0.2 alpha, the version after should I not have to make any fixes would be 1.0 beta with a finished goal of 2.0.

The 0.2 version I estimate to have about 8,500 gears and 45,000 mechanisms, and the 1.0 version to have around 12,000 gears and 80,000 mechanisms. "Do it for the SCIENCE" has become my mantra.

PhantomXD

• Bay Watcher
  • Digging designation cancelled: warm stone located
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: February 28, 2012, 07:16:42 am »

Wow I remember back in November when you first posted this. I bow in dwarven awe.
Ironhand's Graphics Set

Bottom line is, the wiki is your friend, and error is your teacher.

Mego

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:MADNESS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: February 28, 2012, 06:21:08 pm »

If you succeed in this endeavor, I will be sure to hire you if I ever am in charge of a programming project.

BloodBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: February 28, 2012, 11:56:10 pm »

Real world programs being run through Dwarf Fortress on supercomputers in the future, can you imagine? Tha'd just be the end of the world if someone made a program that could track a dwarfputer in real-time and have an influence outside of DF. Jeez...

Someone get to work on that!  :D

Doortufts is moving along at a speedy pace. I did all that I could before making a copy of the master save file to ready for upload. The screwpumps have been rebuilt, non-essential things have been torn down and atom smased and i'm 28% finished the last remaining set of gears for word rec. Once that's completed the whole thing will be capable of running provided it has access to power and water. The power requirement minus windmills and whatever the Mastermind program needs is up to a hefty 3,285 UristWatts. It's still a very low cost considering the gears and axles and pumps combined equate to roughly 76,000 UristWatts worth.

Before figuring out the Mastermind game I think i'll run some wet tests to make sure everything is working properly. There's a lot more that can go wrong and it's getting harder to keep track of everything.

rtg593

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: February 29, 2012, 12:56:14 am »

...  I can't maintain interest in a fort long enough to tap magma, good grief, man, you're insane...

Keep it up! :-)
Is it because light travels faster than sound,
that people appear bright until you hear them speak?
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31