Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31

Author Topic: Cyberdorf Systems: Dwarfputing an A.I. (0.1.1 Alpha)  (Read 108766 times)

PhantomXD

• Bay Watcher
  • Digging designation cancelled: warm stone located
    • View Profile
Re: Cyberdorf Systems: Dwarfputing an A.I. (0.1.1 Alpha Released)
« Reply #435 on: February 29, 2012, 07:26:48 am »

There's a lot more that can go wrong and it's getting harder to keep track of everything.

My brain would have been toast a long time ago. On a side note has any thing as complex ever been attempted with dwarven logic befor?
Ironhand's Graphics Set

Bottom line is, the wiki is your friend, and error is your teacher.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
Re: Cyberdorf Systems: Dwarfputing an A.I. (0.1.1 Alpha)
« Reply #436 on: February 29, 2012, 07:53:18 am »

Somebody implemented a 3-digit decimal calculator with the four basic operators, there was a 32-byte programmable CPU floating around somewhere, and someone else made a finite Game of Life board, but this project definitely uses more logic.

BloodBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: February 29, 2012, 04:52:27 pm »

Volume-wise it's the largest by a wide margine, but for complexity i'm not so sure if I can claim that just yet. Jong's dwarven computer has a lot of different features that do different things. As small as it is compared to what I have, I don't think his dwarfputer can get much smaller without sacrificing some of its functionality while I could very easily miniaturize my mechanics to something half the size of Jongs and still be able demonstrate all its albiet now useless features. They're 2 very different constructs so it's hard to compare them.

One of my goals was you would be able to teach the AI new words, but i'm not so sure if it would be feasible. A 35x52x5 area of pure RAM (182 bits worth, each bit being a pump-pressure plate combo) would be needed to store a 7 character word. If I could get it to work I might be able to store them as 20-byte memory addresses. I don't know if FPS will kill this thing before I can get to problems like that so I shouldnt spend too much time thinking about it.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 04:54:38 pm by BloodBeard »

PhantomXD

• Bay Watcher
  • Digging designation cancelled: warm stone located
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: March 01, 2012, 08:01:26 am »

The complexity of this project continues to melt my brain. Its always inspiring to see what can be pushed in any logic system, especially DF. Cant wait to see how this goes.
Ironhand's Graphics Set

Bottom line is, the wiki is your friend, and error is your teacher.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #439 on: March 01, 2012, 07:37:21 pm »

The complexity of this project continues to melt my brain. Its always inspiring to see what can be pushed in any logic system, especially DF. Cant wait to see how this goes.

This thread made my brain hurt from the start ^-^

BloodBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: March 01, 2012, 07:58:04 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Last of the word recognition gears linked, windmills constructed and some cheaty water put in the channels because I wanted to test it asap. Things are looking up! The new one-pull keyboard levers are working the way they should, my text rules prevented me from typing characters in the wrong places and the word recognition was able to keep track of what I was typing and divide it into words.

Then I tried to clear the display...

I don't know if it's working the way it should and I just don't have enough windmills, but the power requirement skyrocketed far above what I was expecting and it short circuited. I can't even tell what parts are eating up so many uristwatts unless it's running so ima have to go along with it and add to the 132 existing windmills.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 07:59:43 pm by BloodBeard »

BloodBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: March 02, 2012, 04:07:19 pm »

I found the problem and it wasn't an error, just some energy optimizations that I overlooked. When clearing or backspacing it was activating whole sections of pressure plate deactivation pumps that while didn't do any harm didn't need to be on and took a lot of power. It was an easy fix and I got clearing working again at a much lower power requirement. I took video of it that you can watch here.

Everything is looking great. I can't think of anything to do now but figure out how to program in the mastermind game. I've got a pretty lofty endgame-goal  in mind but there's so many different, less extreme things I can do with what is already built like the mastermind game. Any game or thing that can be controlled with literary commands can easily be built, maybe even by other people if they were interested.

Zinc23

• Bay Watcher
  • Insanity Squared is Fish
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: March 05, 2012, 10:40:57 pm »

You, sir, are a mad genius.  Good luck on your ride straight to the circus.
The fastest GM in the woooooooorld!

Kofthefens

• Bay Watcher
  • Keep calm and OH GOD CAPYBARAS
    • View Profile
    • Marshland Games
« Reply #443 on: March 05, 2012, 10:55:03 pm »

Socks off to BloodBeard. 5 more days will be 4 months (I think). I would have gotten bored long before then. Your machine is incredible.
I don't care about your indigestion-- How are you is a greeting, not a question.

The epic of Îton Sákrith
The Chronicles of HammerBlaze
My website - Free games

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: March 05, 2012, 10:58:09 pm »

Man, don't give him any more that'll kill his FPS. :P

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Kofthefens

• Bay Watcher
  • Keep calm and OH GOD CAPYBARAS
    • View Profile
    • Marshland Games
« Reply #445 on: March 05, 2012, 11:08:32 pm »

Okay. I shall take your socks. ALL YOUR SOCKS!
I don't care about your indigestion-- How are you is a greeting, not a question.

The epic of Îton Sákrith
The Chronicles of HammerBlaze
My website - Free games

BloodBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: March 09, 2012, 02:55:14 pm »

Sorry for the lack of updates, with the FPS i'm getting this takes a lot of time of which I haven't had much of this past week. I'll let you know when I can get back and finish up 0.2.

darklord92

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:SERGALNORTH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: March 10, 2012, 01:20:39 am »

You can always try DFhack with fastdwarf on, if that framerate gets that bad of course.
Form walking potato man out of corpse. Absorb anyone else in the house.
We have a successful derail.
The Vilous Mod - Jingle berries!

CyberUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Nothing satisfies—Attain liberation with vigilance
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: May 26, 2012, 08:44:26 pm »

This is amazing, and I fully support. What do you mean you have the word recognition stuff built?
Slog looks overjoyed at this revelation.
Slog is a barrel of endless dopamine.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: July 07, 2012, 06:44:35 pm »

Shameless necro here - don't want to see a project like this dying.
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31