Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 31

Author Topic: Cyberdorf Systems: Dwarfputing an A.I. (0.1.1 Alpha)  (Read 108777 times)

daggaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cyberdorf Systems: Dwarfputing an A.I. (WIP)
« Reply #60 on: November 17, 2011, 07:39:06 am »

Sorry.. you kinda lost me at "im self taught in beginning computing"  and "I want to design an A.I."  and "I want to run my program inside of DF."   See, even two of those statements together are a recipe for failure, but all three?  I can't even begin to take this seriously.   

You can build simple computer simulations inside of a computer simulation (DF, minecraft, etc), but the lag is horrendous, so just doing basic computations and getting a workable output is painstakingly slow.  You want to program a working AI, an incredibly difficult task in itself, and then get it to run in here?  And all without any kind of real expertise?   Yeah...

Even if you could, your civilization would be destroyed one way or another before the AI could even answer your first question.

Minority

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 17, 2011, 07:46:09 am »

recipe for failure

You do realize that this is dwarf fortress were talking about, right? :P

eggrock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 17, 2011, 12:09:41 pm »

A firmware update has arrived, despite the danger.

Bluesproto

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Anti Hero
    • View Profile
    • My game, a Medieval RPG. Sort of.
« Reply #63 on: November 17, 2011, 12:58:18 pm »

What he is trying to do is almost imposible, but hey, wasn't it imposible to create a network for all computers in the world? This is the same, it might not work now, but in a few years... or centuries...
Dear Urist: I, the overseer, appreciate your point of view about the danger that an unarmed goblin can represent at the other side of a fortification when you try to kill it with a ballista, but, as you know, you're not paid to think. And a mindless worker is a happy worker, so shut up and do your job.

You are a Hero, an fantasy adventure with dragons, mages, ninjas and Norse mythology

daggaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 17, 2011, 01:02:22 pm »

You do realize that this is dwarf fortress were talking about, right? :P

I guess that is why everybody was taking it so lightly/positively.   I couldn't understand that reaction, reading thru the thread the first time..

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 17, 2011, 01:12:33 pm »

It's more a case of us doing the impossible on a daily basis.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 17, 2011, 01:48:50 pm »

I found a way to implement a really good AI that's actually finishable in acceptable time. I will just demonstrate this by an example:

Let's say the question is "What do you get if you multiply six by nine?"

Spoiler: Answer (click to show/hide)

BloodBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 17, 2011, 03:43:09 pm »

*slow clap*

Damn, you actually built that didn't you? The ore veins and floor don't match my screenshots.

So my proclamation of success in making a working advancer was a little premature. I missed one little thing and that thing caused my mini-version to go haywire. My original design looked like a dead end so I had to expand it from 32 to 64 pressure plate-pump combinations, which fucks with my plan of wanting to use as little fluid logic as I can. There's some things that gears just can't do, no matter how many you use. I'm going to have to expand my mini version to test out the new design so the illustration of how it works will have to wait.

I am not looking forward to doing all the linkages when I go full scale, at all. I don't even want to do the calculations just yet because I know it will seriously make me consider quitting. I'm hoping that the further I go the harder it will be for me to quit, because it's only going to get more difficult.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 17, 2011, 07:41:22 pm »

Yes, seriously, don't quit! Regardless of whether it's possible or not, even the attempt itself is impressive. And like I think I said before... I want to see what you end up with. :)
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

BloodBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 17, 2011, 10:49:42 pm »

It works! it works! *happy dance*

*Ahem* ... I mean, this is a joyous occasion for all dwarfkind.

It will be a fairly large cell of pumps and gears with linkages going every which way, but I got the tile advancer running like clockwork. I tried to make these images as clear as possible, hope you can follow.

Starting position:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

This is just a testing version so the machinery placement isn't ideal, but it functions identical to a full sized one.

This is the starting position of the gears. Red means the gear is disengaged and green engaged. Gray gears provide power and are always on, the yellow aren't used in the advancement but will be used at another time to reset everything and possibly be used for backspacing. For now they are disengaged. You can pretty much ignore everything on level 3 except the red gear marked B.

The main focus of all this is marked by a green box on the 2nd level. The 3 sets of red gears in it each represent a tile on this display:

In order for a letter to by typed on the display tile, both gears need to be engaged. By default, if I throw a lever on the keyboard only the first set will engage. What the advancer does after you reset the lever and throw another, only the second set will engage, and so on and so forth. I'll try and run through the whole thing.

A: This is a key on the keyboard. It can be any key, it doesn't matter. When the lever is thrown-

B: This gear is engaged, transfering power to-

C: This pump, which activates the pressure plate and-

D: Switches all the marked gears which-

E: Completes this circuit, sending power to-

F: This pump, which activates the pressure plate and-

G: Engages these 2 gears which-

H: Completes this circuit, allowing whatever letter on the keyboard was switched to be shown on the first tile on the display.

This is what it looks like now with all the gears changed:

(picture water covering the pressure plate on the left)

And so begins the de-switch with-

A: Time to reset this switch which-

B: Disengages this gear which-

C: Cuts power to this pump, activating its pressure plate once more after the water drains which (dis)engages-

D: These gears once again which-

E: Breaks this circuit (not needed anymore to display the letter) and connects-

F: This circuit, sending power to-

G: This pump, which activates a pressure plate that switches-

H: All of these gears, which basically cuts power to itself, makes sure the first tile doesn't accept any more signals and passes the baton to the next tile over so IT will be worked on when another lever on the keyboard is flipped.

And so, after all that, the gearing now looks like this:

All ready for the next keyboard input. I hope all that makes sense.  :-[

SO. I don't know if this is all going to lead to a functioning A.I, but at the very least when the above is installed and everything linked up, I will have essentially made the very first dwarfputed notepad. Hurray!
« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 10:56:30 pm by BloodBeard »

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 17, 2011, 11:03:35 pm »

Oh dear god. First #1, with many more firsts likely to come. Nominating for Hall of Legends.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 17, 2011, 11:14:31 pm »

Oh man, that's awesome.

"Hmm, what ntoes today? KILL EVERYTHING ARGHLE! ...Yeah that seems right."

Just wait til Magmasoft becomes a business.

BloodBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 17, 2011, 11:48:51 pm »

I appreciate the nomination.  :)

On the notepad thing, what's hilarious about it is how easy it would be to support multiple font faces. It would only need about 40 additional pumps and pressure plates per font. I wouldn't even need to change anything else, just flip a lever to turn off one font, flip another and boom, a different font that functions just like the other.

I might just do that if I ever get to a stopping point with this fort and still have the space. Right now I tried to make the letters and numbers as fancy as a 5x3 pixeled tile allowed, but a blocky font would work too.

Mego

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:MADNESS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 17, 2011, 11:53:05 pm »

A self-taught C++ programmer (did I infer correctly which language?) is attempting to build an AI in Dwarf Fortress. I cannot help but give this my fullest support. Don't listen to the nay-sayers. Thinking outside of the box will be necessary for this project, and they simply do not wish to. Luckily, most of Bay12 is willing to. That's why we play the game in the first place.

The speed at which this thing runs is not an important issue right now. Just getting the thing to work should be and is the first and foremost goal. Once it works, then optimizations can be considered.

Don't let roadblocks get in your way. Though they may seem impossible to overcome now, if you keep trying, eventually you will succeed. And, the more problems you solve, the better you get at solving them. Each setback will seem less major than the last. Quitting is for elves.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 18, 2011, 04:16:33 am »

A self-taught C++ programmer (did I infer correctly which language?) is attempting to build an AI in Dwarf Fortress. I cannot help but give this my fullest support. Don't listen to the nay-sayers. Thinking outside of the box will be necessary for this project, and they simply do not wish to. Luckily, most of Bay12 is willing to. That's why we play the game in the first place.

The speed at which this thing runs is not an important issue right now. Just getting the thing to work should be and is the first and foremost goal. Once it works, then optimizations can be considered.

Don't let roadblocks get in your way. Though they may seem impossible to overcome now, if you keep trying, eventually you will succeed. And, the more problems you solve, the better you get at solving them. Each setback will seem less major than the last. Quitting is for elves.

Ftfy.
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 31