Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 31

Author Topic: Cyberdorf Systems: Dwarfputing an A.I. (0.1.1 Alpha)  (Read 108492 times)

NightlinerSGS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Dwarven Learning Computer (WIP)
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2011, 04:56:43 am »

Well, technically, isn't this the same as running linux fo example, starting up a virtual machine with windows in it and then start a program inside the virtual machine?
DF is just another virtual machine and you're trying to program something in it's unique code...

Wait, that would mean that DF could actually serve as an OS? And it has it's unique built in programming language? Ok, this might become awesome... :D
Like I always say, elven females serve a... better purpose to me than the males.
This is a masterfully derailed thread. It depicts Necro in magma-silk thread. This relates to the great derailing of the Divorce Thread in 2011. Necro is holding up a pig-tail fiber sock. Necro is swimming. Necro is striking a defiant pose.

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
    • TESnexus profile, has my voice acting portfolio.
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2011, 06:32:35 am »

My voice acting portfolio.
Centration. Similar to Spacestation 13, but in 3D and first-person. Sounds damn awesome.
NanoTrasen Exploratory Team: SS13 in DF.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Urist McDwarfFortress

• Bay Watcher
  • Suspected elephant sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2011, 04:35:17 pm »

Sorry, for a moment there I forgot we were all psychopaths.
Someone who has random urges to make mog juice isn't exactly going to care about the cost effectiveness of obtaining it.

Geen

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm gonna live forever, or die trying.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2011, 09:27:53 pm »

Either a robot-dorf apocalypse, or it becomes Glados except with magma instead of neurotoxins

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
    • TESnexus profile, has my voice acting portfolio.
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2011, 11:41:28 pm »

In fact, i may have to go work on a Terminator mod...
My voice acting portfolio.
Centration. Similar to Spacestation 13, but in 3D and first-person. Sounds damn awesome.
NanoTrasen Exploratory Team: SS13 in DF.

BloodBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2011, 12:22:42 am »

Now imagine what would be possible if toady implemented moving fortress parts  :o *shudders*

I've been grinding away constructing the memory banks that will be storing pixels for the graphical display. Here's a little preview:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Not even close to finishing it. I don't want to jinx anything but this will probably be the largest single component. I'm really glad I downsized the display, I don't think my original would have fit on a 3x3 embark and would have had to section it out to other z-levels (it will probably be 5 z-levels tall).

Basically it stores each individual pixel (or hatch) on the display where each pump-pressure plate combination can turn one on and off. There's probably a technical term for it, if you know i'd appreciate it.

Pardus

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Juice maker
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2011, 01:25:11 am »

This is scary. It's going to destroy everything.

THIS IS AWESOME.
If you actually get it to work, I congratulate and stare at you.
I just noticed that one of my dwarves likes "tentacle demons for their corrupt intentions"
HOLY FUCKING COCK. I JUST LOOKED AT A CHILD, AND IT HAS ROTTING FEET.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2011, 01:36:19 am »

Continue your fine work!
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

BloodBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2011, 01:01:30 am »

Mad scientists' journal entry #5:

The first row of screwpumps supported by gears below is now complete as the pixel controlling memory banks begin to take shape. Brace yourself, large image ahead.

And this image so you can fully understand how big it really is (embark size is 3x3).

The left side with all the gray pumps will be user controlled and the green side A.I controlled.

There are still TONS of things I need to do to get this component in working order. The layer above needs screwpumps as well, also I need to link each of those pressure plates to a hatch on the graphical display. I've got a very good idea how the gearing is going to work, but I should probably look a little further ahead to make sure everything is able to talk to each other and work the way it's supposed to. Especially the A.I controlled side as its gearing might need to differ from the users side. I can probably put that part on hold for a bit since I really can't speculate how the A.I will work untill I complete everything on the users' side.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2011, 02:26:31 am by BloodBeard »

evileeyore

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

BloodBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2011, 02:41:08 am »

I'm sure a proper dwarf fortress A.I. would be even more terrifying. It probably would'nt kill you right away, just flood rooms at random with magma while cracking height jokes and calculating the answer to the ultimate question, how many elves can one kill with bolts made from the bones of a single elf.

Frelus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2011, 05:58:51 am »

I'm sure a proper dwarf fortress A.I. would be even more terrifying. It probably would'nt kill you right away, just flood rooms at random with magma while cracking height jokes and calculating the answer to the ultimate question, how many elves can one kill with bolts made from the bones of a single elf.
The answer is 42.....
Hey, an idea:
Catch many rats, put them in the computer pressure plates when it is finished, and let them calculate more answers this way
It's all fun and games until someone gets hurt. Then it's Fun and Dwarf Fortress.
My trade depot is set to flood with water at the pull of a lever.  It's deep in the tunnels with easy drainage.  I call it my "water for goods" trading policy.

Minority

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2011, 09:36:03 pm »

You, Sir, have won all my internets.

Can't wait until it takes over the world :P

BloodBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2011, 01:47:59 pm »

I still haven't won anything yet, all I have built and designed right now is the bridge that will allow the user to communicate with an A.I and it to respond. It'll start getting tricky after this when I essentially need to build the processing center of the A.I's brain so it can translate what the user types out into something it can work with. It'll be tricky but fun at the same time because there's so many different ways I can do it.

Screwpump count: 1920
Gear count : 960 (will quadruple or quintuple when this component is done)
pressure plates: 960

It sounds like a FPS nightmare, but luckily it wont be as bad as I thought it would. Only a small handful of the pumps will be active any any given point.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2011, 01:56:28 pm by BloodBeard »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 31